Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti Colic Bottles

Options
  • 23-09-2013 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi All

Im the proud daddy of a 4 week old baby... its been a roller-coaster so far but im lovin it.

My poor little one has colic.. some days shes cries for hours on end and cannot be consoled. Heartbreaking stuff :/

I am using the standard Avent bottle, but i see alot of stuff online about anti colic bottles.. i guess my questions are do they work and if theres anyone out there that uses them, what type is best.

Im a first time father and would appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks Guys :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irishmanmick

Hi Houbie,

Congrats on the new arrival, we had a girl first also, they just steal your heart! Luckily we never had any trouble on her, but her poor brother had it when he was born, probably for 3 months. Like that he would go for hours screaming crying, would break your heart.

We got the colic bottles and honestly can say that the only thing I felt they done, was to make you feel you were trying to do something to help. Saw no improvement in colic, same goes for all the colic drops too. He eventually just stopped having colic. Like a switch overnight.

But every baby is different so there is n o harm in trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭spygirl

Our son also had colic, tried everything. best piece of advice(sadly) was to mark the 4 month mark on the calender as it would magically disappear by then. It actually did.( Like over 2 nights)

But like previous poster said at least you would feel like you were trying something. can't hurt and maybe you might have more luck then we did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

My now 17 month old started becoming colicky around 3 to 4 weeks old. Hours of crying for both of us and i spent alot of time walking with the buggy. I tried gripe water and did seem to work but gave her the runs. Tried infacol ssme thing. The discoved Dr brown bottles and have to say they worked for us. No squirming and wriggling after an ounce then roar for it as you try to wind.
    We switched to Dr brownes and 2 days later LO started sleeping through the night (very lucky).
    Others i know have said the same as above that it did not work for them but i know a few who also swear by them. Would recommen only buying 2 or 3 though to try out firstly.

Best of luck and congrats.
    Ps they can be a pain to wash all the additional parts so we switched back to ordinary bottles at 4 months.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The Tommee Tippee anti colic + bottles are very good. We found Avent bottles terrible.

Talk to the phn it might not be colic but an allergy to milk to the formula not agreeing with her or hunger.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭SUNDERLANDER!

Infacol is scientifficaly proven to work and we found it great,he would burp 5 minutes after taking it,IMO the bottles are a scam,and gripe water is proven not to work,especially since they removed the alcohol. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Personally we found the combination of infacol, gripe water and dr browns bottles to work. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

We found infacol, gripe water and anti colic bottles useless. Only thing that stopped the crying was walking baby around in a sling/baby carrier. And time. It's rough but it does pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Our guy had colic as well and yes it is tough.

What helped was infacol and we also used the Dr Brown bottles but I am not sure how much they helped. Infacol did make a difference.

Also, I found whitenoise worked very well and usually would stop the baby crying but you need to get the volume right because you don't want to blast the baby with noise too much.

I did read that feeding colicky babies twice as often with half the amount helps but that would be a lot of feeding and we didn't try it.

Lastly, be assured that colic usually peaks by 6 weeks and tapers off up to month 3 or so. It gets easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 houbie

Thanks for all the info so far thats great.. we are trying infacol for the last few weeks.. i guess the thing is its hard to gauge how much its actually helping... its a case of try it all.

We have made an appointment with doc to make sure shes not allergic to milk.. just to rule that out.

Im going to look into the Dr Browne bottles aswell.. what harm can they do :)

I know its not going to be like this forever but sometimes its hard to remember that especially after 3 hours of crying at 4 am :P

were at the 5 week point tomorrow... counting the weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Thankfully not a colic baby, but occasional reflux/indigestion. However, I'm not sure indigestion/reflux/bubbles necessarily causes colic? Often reflux is misinterpreted as colic, I think. Ours is breastfed, but we had to top up for a while. Dr. Brown's seemed to help a little, and unless it's a quieter phase in his digestive development, Infacol seems to be working well in reducing gas and reflux.

• Advertisement

I bought the dr browns bottles yesterday but we ended up having to bring the baby to hospital as she was drinking very low amounts and screaming in pain after.

The doctor has a suspicion of some lactose intolerance so we are now giving her diaoralight for the next day or two then we will try her on some non lactose formula.. fingers crossed thats the answer.

She realy seems to be in pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

houbie wrote: »
    I bought the dr browns bottles yesterday but we ended up having to bring the baby to hospital as she was drinding very low ammounts and screaming in pain after.

The doctor has a suspicion of some lactose intolerance so we are now giving her diaoralight for the next day or two then we will try her on some non lactose formula.. fingers crossed thats the answer.

Poor lil thing. And poor mammy and daddy watching her feeling so helpless. I hope you find a solution soon

We brought our guy to hospital as well after a bad episode of crying, arching the back etc but they didn't find anything. It also looked like proper pain but it went away.

You are doing all you can for your baby and hopefully it will ease up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

houbie wrote: »
    I bought the dr browns bottles yesterday but we ended up having to bring the baby to hospital as she was drinking very low amounts and screaming in pain after.

We also went to hospital as the pain was just awful to watch. If you are moved to lactose free formula, ask te fix about trying SMa or something mainstream before you try nutramigen. We found nurmtramigen be very gloopy and the little fella hated it. It's also very very expensive. You might find SMa works fine. Good luck with it and hopefully it's hit it's peak now and will begin to ease soon

Yes also should mention that 'SMA Comfort' milk seemed to help us as well.

got a call from doc this morning.. little one can now have her first bottle of milk in almost 2 days.. he advised us to get nutramigen but i have already bought a lactose free version of enfamil so he said that should be fine.. after her second day with no milk there have been no screams of pain.. she has not been sleeping well but im putting that down to the lack of milk... she must be starving.

I have my fingers firmly crossed that we have found the solution, that the baby will be pain free and we can get a decent nights sleep soon :)

Thanks to everyone for all the advice and well wishes, yer all legends , ill report back soon

Advertisement