Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unique Westport Accommodation

Options
  • 23-09-2013 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

I'm organising a family trip to Westport next February. I stayed at Kilgallan Church recently and loved it. However in February it'll be quite chilly in the church so I'm not quite sure how cosy it'd be. In May it was quite cold without the fire on. On all other fronts it was amazing. So, my question is, are there any similar quirky places to stay in or around Westport? There are 7 of us ranging in age from 25 to 60 so will need a certain level of comfort! And we have a budget of around €700 for the weekend (hopefully from Thursday night to Sunday). We'd consider houses on the grounds of a hotel, castles, churches, rental houses etc etc

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I know quirky - there are some fabulous places to rent from the Irish Landmark Trust. There is Also a Northern Ireland corresponding organisation but I'm
    Not sure of the name - there might be a link from the Irish landmark site.

Fabulous historic buildings restored " sympathetically " and available to rent for holidays - gate lodges, towers, lighthouses, there is. Farmhouse with sauna... The wing of House that the Bytes retired to with its James Bind fireplace... Well worth a long browse.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭glen25

Thanks.. I checked out Irish Landmark Trust and some interesting options. Keep the ideas coming. Cheers folks :)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

OB's url for Rosturk Castle is an good suggestion,

It is a most scenic location, and about half a mile from Nevins Tiernaur a pub and excellent reatuarant

Mulranny Park Hotel about two and a half miles west, Greenway nearby.

Lots of self catering accommodation in Westport - see sticky at top of thread.

Nearest former lighthouse is on Clare Island. Regular ferries thru Roonagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

No no very unique places in westport.
    Lighthouse on clare island only thing...

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No no very unique places in westport.
    Lighthouse on clare island only thing...

You are aware the light house on Clare Island is not in Westport right?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭glen25

Thanks for the replies. I think i've decided against the church as it will be too cold in February to bring the family to. I was considering their other property. Is it near the church or has anyone got any feedback on it? http://www.oldredschoolhouse.com/Welcome.html

Advertisement