Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internships in America

Options
  • 23-09-2013 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I completed my postgrad in 2011 and since then have had a number of short term contract jobs and internships. Someone mentioned to me a scheme, I think it was this one, but I fall out of the 12 month graduation period. Is there anything similar for those who have graduated within the past 2-5 years, or should I just give up and look into visas elsewhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Hi all, I completed my postgrad in 2011 and since then have had a number of short term contract jobs and internships. Someone mentioned to me a scheme, I think it was this one, but I fall out of the 12 month graduation period. Is there anything similar for those who have graduated within the past 2-5 years, or should I just give up and look into visas elsewhere?

If you were to land a job in the States, could your employer sponsor you for a work visa? That is probably your best chance at getting one these days, as reading the terms of that scheme I don't think you'd be eligible, having last graduated in 2011. I don't know how likely it is though that an employer would take on someone for a post (especially if it was only for a short-term position), as American visas are a LOT of paperwork. But I guess if you found a really good position, and the company liked you...? That's the only way I can think of, others may be able to chip in. That, or entering the lottery for a green card, but currently they are working for 2015 entry so that's still a while away. I'm currently on a J1 visa in the States to conduct research for my PhD, but that is an entirely different category from someone who wants to work here.

Advertisement