Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Twice a day workout

• 23-09-2013 3:17pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Got some good feedback from the OT thread and was asked to start a new thread so starting this to get more info if people are willing.

In short, I've some spare time in the evenings after work. More so to come starting next month when the missus goes away for work for a few weeks. So am looking at doing twice a day workouts for a while - if it's successful and I'm liking it I'll keep at it. The only day that I'm not free is Monday as I've bowling :o

I currently do 5 days a week (sometimes on Sundays I'll hit the garage where I've stuff set up).

Monday = Shoulders
    Tuesday = Legs
    Wednesday = Abs/Cardio
    Thursday = Chest
    Friday = Back

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

In the evenings while I'm bored at home i like to do some intervals or handstand practice.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

In the evenings while I'm bored at home i like to do some intervals or handstand practice.

I can't handstand to save my life. Would only end up eating the tiles :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I can't handstand to save my life. Would only end up eating the tiles :o

It'd save you having to coook a dinner, at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Twice a day training

Ok first we need to categorise some things, these are broad categories with blurred lines but for the purpose of twice a day training should be ok

Strength work:

Reps 5 and under aiming to be as explosive as possible, aims to recruit as many motor units (read muscle fibres) as possible, uses atp-cp system for energy. Heavy neural demand, low resources demand

Structural work:

Sets over 6 reps and up to 15ish, sets lasting roughly 45-60 seconds with a controlled tempo, lower neural demand, higher resource demand. mainly use glycolytic system (read stored carbs). Aim is to change the structure of a muscle ie grow

Skill work:

Anything you wish to get better at you want to get skilled at. Ie you want to have a stronger squat then by improving your technique it'll get better, want a better golf swing then practicing your swing will get better. Low resource demand, low neural demand. Risk of ruining your motor patterns by two mechanisms one pattern overload (not a bad thing in the long run) and two practicing bad or imperfect reps. In my mind speed work comes under this category to a big degree.

Conditioning work:
    Work aiming to help raise the amount of work per unit time you can do, highish resource demand but low neural demand

Ok in my mind you can pretty much mix and match two categories from the above list mosts days.

Ie do a strength work out in morning and a structural workout in the evening, or structural work in the morning skill work in the evening.

Now the warnings:

You've got to pay your dues if you want to train twice a day then your rest and nutrition needs to be in order.

Skill work is generally the safest bet for extra sessions but the gains from skill work can be short lived. The first time I got my bench moving towards respectable was when I started benching 8-14 sessions a week. I'd bench between clients when working in the gym doing sets of 3 with 70-85% of the weight I'd use for a 3rm at the time and focus on perfect technique on every rep. I'd stop the sets if my heart rate started to elevate rapidly and not return quickly as the last rep.

In terms of skill work you want to train to the place where your technique begins to break down then stop. ie if you're practicing a boxing combo and you notice your timing changes then stop there even if you feel like you could go on.

Conditioning work as an extra session should leave you feeling refreshed like you could do more not destroyed, for extra conditioning sessions try keep the main bit of the session 15 mins and under. If you've got doms the next day then you done a bit too much in the conditioning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

What a post.

Emmet, what are you qualified in? Some serious knowledge in there. Sorry OP :P

• Advertisement

Just getting back to this now. Great post, thanks a lot Emmet.

I'll have to map out my week a bit more than I thought after reading that :)

Also need to take a better look at my nutrition for the days I will be doing twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

If you are just looking for something to fill some time in the evening then you could do worse than spending some time focussing on mobility work.
    Obviously you should be doing mobility stuff anyway but a long session in the evening a couple of times a week could make a big difference. (I really need to practice what I preach)

mobilitywod.com

What a post.

Emmet, what are you qualified in? Some serious knowledge in there. Sorry OP :P

A whole range of things at this stage. B.A in circus arts, British gymnastics High performance coach sports acrobatics, level 3 club coach in the same, level 1 artistic gymnastic coach, reps level 3 personal trainer and a host of other certs, kettlebells, olympic lifting, precision nutrition, vibration plate (this was free), vivo barefoot running. I also just read a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

A whole range of things at this stage. B.A in circus arts, British gymnastics High performance coach sports acrobatics, level 3 club coach in the same, level 1 artistic gymnastic coach, reps level 3 personal trainer and a host of other certs, kettlebells, olympic lifting, precision nutrition, vibration plate (this was free), vivo barefoot running. I also just read a lot

Nice collection. All done in Ireland or abroad?

Abroad been living in London for the last 7 years only moved back a few months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Drained_Empty

Ba in circus? So you can actually go to clown college now. I don't doubt your knowledge or your experience but that certainly takes the biscuit.

I think you are mad to train twice a day unless you are really bored or you are a pro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

Fupping hell, do you do any workshop bookings? I might have something for you!

Actually we done no clowning and clowns go to seperate schools. Think of it like a dance degree, there's theory for about 10-12 hours a week and various written projects but the other 30 hours your training.

@Burkatron I do teach seminars and workshops, pm me to discuss

Just to come back to this.

A crossfit gym has opened up here, the only one on the island :) so me and the missus were thinking of heading along. The sessions are 1 hour long 6 days a week (wouldn't do that much)

For people who do crossfit - or anyone who has knowledge :p, what are your thoughts on this? I'm coming to the end of a 5/3/1 program and from next week will be starting a GVT program.

Is it possible that I'd be overworking myself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Just to come back to this.

A crossfit gym has opened up here, the only one on the island :) so me and the missus were thinking of heading along. The sessions are 1 hour long 6 days a week (wouldn't do that much)

For people who do crossfit - or anyone who has knowledge :p, what are your thoughts on this? I'm coming to the end of a 5/3/1 program and from next week will be starting a GVT program.

Is it possible that I'd be overworking myself?

Gvt and Crossfit? Not a chance.

One or the other for the time being I'd say.

GVT is not something to be mixed with anything else.

Ok so GVT and anything else is a no go - thanks for that.

The thing is, the missus really wants to do something together (so do I tbh) and I'm perfectly happy for that to be crossfit. I just don't want to drop the gym cause we wouldn't be able to go to crossfit 5 times a week.

Open to suggestions if anyone has any.

If there's nothing good to coincide I'll just stick with the original plan of starting GVT next week.

Take up yoga together? or even acroyoga its fun something you can do together

Take up yoga together? or even acroyoga its fun something you can do together

Not to sound like a retard or a chauvinistic pig but is yoga not for women?? (genuine question)

Lol, yoga is good for everyone, its a good compliment to strength training, I've done yoga for about 25 years at this stage so I might be biased. Here's some videos to peak your interest.

You wouldn't survive these sequences

Acroyoga, perfect for putting those gainz to use

And sure why not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Not to sound like a retard or a chauvinistic pig but is yoga not for women?? (genuine question)

Mate of mine on the sawker team swears by it.

And he's a bloke!!!!!one!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭gavtron

It depends on the crossfit 'box' - crossfit means a lot of different things to different people.

Have they a website? Generally you can see what the workouts have been like there and judge for yourself if you will be doing a lot of strength work there or it will be all metcons?!

Then you can decide if you will be able to fit in another workout every day also.

I've no experience with GVT so I'll leave that to someone else, I would say that if you're focusing on volume/bulking then mixing in a crossfit metcon everyday isn't going to do much for your strength/size gains!

Hope this helps.

gavtron wrote: »
    It depends on the crossfit 'box' - crossfit means a lot of different things to different people.

Have they a website? Generally you can see what the workouts have been like there and judge for yourself if you will be doing a lot of strength work there or it will be all metcons?!

This is their website. It looks like a child made because a child probably did make it. All Maltese websites are utterly shíte. Most shops/places don't even have them. They just make Facebook pages.

http://www.crossfit356.com/

gavtron wrote: »
    Then you can decide if you will be able to fit in another workout every day also.

I've no experience with GVT so I'll leave that to someone else, I would say that if you're focusing on volume/bulking then mixing in a crossfit metcon everyday isn't going to do much for your strength/size gains!

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the input.

I'm not looking to do it every day. But with GVT most programs (all I've seen so far) are 3 days of a 5 day week so was thinking of using one of my weekend days or one of my off days. Possibly both. Seems though that it's one or the other going by what has been said above.

Eh plenty of lads in yoga and pilates classes

bluewolf wrote: »
    Eh plenty of lads in yoga and pilates classes

Yea I get that it was a bit of a foolish question. It wasn't a sly dig at men or women. It was a genuine question. Personally, I've just not known any guy to do yoga.

Yea I get that it was a bit of a foolish question. It wasn't a sly dig at men or women. It was a genuine question. Personally, I've just not known any guy to do yoga.

It's ok, I've heard the idea before. Just chipping in to say there's been plenty, and plenty of guys who teach them as well

Advertisement