Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dare Scheme type 1 diabetes

Options
  • 23-09-2013 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, I was just wondering has anyone on here got the dare scheme in any university with type 1 diabetes and what the procedure for them was and an any specifics or important things I should know surrounding applying with diabetes :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

AirsBoozer wrote: »
    Hi, I was just wondering has anyone on here got the dare scheme in any university with type 1 diabetes and what the procedure for them was and an any specifics or important things I should know surrounding applying with diabetes :)

I think its fair to say DARE is for people with a relatively serious and life altering illness or ailment, that directly affects their performance or potential performance. Would diabetes affect your exams and life in UCD? Personally I don't feel it would. And thats speaking as a person with plenty of diabetic friends and emergency medical experience.

Obviously I can't speak in your specific case, but I doubt given the wide range of care and medications available for diabetes, I doubt it qualifies. Contrasted to say epilepsy or other more serious disorders.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

ironclaw wrote: »
    I think its fair to say DARE is for people with a relatively serious and life altering illness or ailment, that directly affects their performance or potential performance.

Nah, DARE is for all sorts of disabilities, be they physical or learning or whatever, not necessarily particularly severe either.

I have no idea what living with Type 1 Diabetes is like so I wont comment. OP, email the person in UCD who coordinates DARE and ask :).

Fad wrote: »
    Nah, DARE is for all sorts of disabilities, be they physical or learning or whatever, not necessarily particularly severe either..

I'm sure I sounded very high and mighty when I wrote that! Opps. I appreciate diabetes is an impact on ones life, I was just thinking in terms of relative scale. Diabetes is extremely common and normally very manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Yes you can sign onto the DARE scheme with type 1 diabetes. You'll be offered an alternative exam location (classroom in Newman).
    Theyll also let all your module coordinators know incase you ever have to miss classes with hospital visits etc. in which case theyll send you any material covered

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

ironclaw wrote: »
    I think its fair to say DARE is for people with a relatively serious and life altering illness or ailment, that directly affects their performance or potential performance. Would diabetes affect your exams and life in UCD? Personally I don't feel it would. And thats speaking as a person with plenty of diabetic friends and emergency medical experience.

Obviously I can't speak in your specific case, but I doubt given the wide range of care and medications available for diabetes, I doubt it qualifies. Contrasted to say epilepsy or other more serious disorders.

I'd be interested to know do your friends share your opinion on that. It's pretty ignorant to tell the OP that his/her illness isn't serious. Just because something appears trivial on the surface doesn't mean it's necessarily the case.

• Advertisement

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    I'd be interested to know do your friends share your opinion on that. It's pretty ignorant to tell the OP that his/her illness isn't serious. Just because something appears trivial on the surface doesn't mean it's necessarily the case.

I never said it wasn't serious :confused: Diabetes is serious. But contrast that to say someone who suffers from serious epilepsy, serious heart condition etc. Its a whole different story on that persons quality of life.

I wasn't attempting to condescend the OP in any way shape or form. Like I said, I have a medical background so I'm fully aware of the implications of the aforementioned issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    Yes you can sign onto the DARE scheme with type 1 diabetes. You'll be offered an alternative exam location (classroom in Newman).
    Theyll also let all your module coordinators know incase you ever have to miss classes with hospital visits etc. in which case theyll send you any material covered
    You can get those things without being in DARE.

Can we have less of the indignation and be realistic here? The idea of DARE should be to provide a platform for people to get into University despite some prevailing medical issue which might otherwise hold them back, maybe because they have to miss a lot of school (cystic fibrosis, or mental illness, for example).

How does Type 1 diabetes prevent a student from reaching his potential?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

How does Type 1 diabetes prevent a student from reaching his potential?

Student might have missed a lot of school due to being in and out of hospital if their blood sugars aren't under control? Might be depression/anxiety related to having T1 diabetes (can't be spontaneous in the same way as friends, social isolation due to time in hospital, etc)?

Diabetes is listed here, along with the requirements for supporting documentation from the student's consultant who would be familiar with the impact it's having on their life.

http://www.accesscollege.ie/dare/evidence-disability.php

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AirsBoozer

i know its been several years since i posted on this but i said id update everyone :) i got the dare scheme with type 1 diabetes so presumably anyone who applies with type 1 will get the dare scheme as i don't see how diabetes can vary in severity :P i got 480 in the leaving cert and my no.1 on the cao was science in ucd which was 515 this year and i got it so yay :D Also sound for all the replies, ye're all the real mvps

• Registered Users Posts: 15 pigsinablanket

Congrats, on getting science.
    You know you'll be on an orientation day, or two. Not particularly sure how long the orientation is for DARE applicants.
    (I know that for HEAR it lasts around 5 days)
    You'll be meeting Lisa and Jenny most likely, they are so helpful and genuinely nice.
    The access centre in UCD honestly are so much help.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much :) yeah I think it's next Monday.. I'm waiting to hear something be it by post or email :) I'll keep an eye out for those two people :D

You'll get it by post it's included in the welcome pack :)
    They will most likely be doing the talks

You'll get it by post it's included in the welcome pack :)
    They will most likely be doing the talks
    What actually happens over the two days? I have no idea what to expect :P

What actually happens over the two days? I have no idea what to expect :P

I'm not exactly positive what happens during the DARE orientation, but generally there will be a tour of the campus. They'll explain what you get help wise from the access center during the year. There will be talks where other students will tell you their experience and stuff. I'm sorry that I don't know that much :(
    Its something I never thought to actually ask Lisa

Oh I see, sounds helpful :) haha not to worry any info. Is perfect :) I'm sure it'll have stuff about it in the pack :D

Advertisement