Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC - supposed to be on MMDS yet I have broadband

• 23-09-2013 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

:confused:
    Just asked about getting Horizon from UPC and it seems I am a 'MMDS' customer in my part of dublin, although this dosen't sound right as I have cable broadband from upc so surely they have cables into my house?
    I remember this MMDS issue when I moved in 5 years ago and at the time they said the cables were going to be laid. I am on the 'lite' pack anyway as not a huge TV watcher but have stayed so far as the broadband has been excellent. I kinda forgot about the MMDS issue until now as they say they don't have the cables for horizon and don't plan to lay them.
    After doing a bit of research here it seems MMDS will no longer be available in a year or two?
    So does that just leave me with sky then :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

lyoness wrote: »
    After doing a bit of research here it seems MMDS will no longer be available in a year or two?
    So does that just leave me with sky then :confused:

UPC's MMDS Licences expire on 18 April 2016 - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83862302#post83862302

Since the Comreg decision was published last March UPC have made no public announcement regarding existing MMDS subscribers or MMDS fed cable systems. Maybe they'll put something in place for cable systems but MMDS subscribers with an aerial on the roof may have to go the Sky or Saorview/Freesat route.

An auction for the spectrum will be held in 2014 or 2015, a consultation will be held by Comreg in due course. UPC will be allowed to bid for the spectrum and if they bid/win some they could use it again for television but under new technical conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lyoness

The Cush wrote: »
    UPC's MMDS Licences expire on 18 April 2016 - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83862302#post83862302

Since the Comreg decision was published last March UPC have made no public announcement regarding existing MMDS subscribers or MMDS fed cable systems. Maybe they'll put something in place for cable systems but MMDS subscribers with an aerial on the roof may have to go the Sky or Saorview/Freesat route.

An auction for the spectrum will be held in 2014 or 2015, a consultation will be held by Comreg in due course. UPC will be allowed to bid for the spectrum and if they bid/win some they could use it again for television but under new technical conditions.

Thats the thing though I don't have an aerial on the roof. UPC comes in via cables - as does the UPC broadband. Thats what I don't understand. How can I be MMDS customer if I don't have an aerial and I can recieve the regular UPC broadband?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Thats the thing though I don't have an aerial on the roof. UPC comes in via cables - as does the UPC broadband. Thats what I don't understand. How can I be MMDS customer if I don't have an aerial and I can recieve the regular UPC broadband?

Probably a single MMDS reciever in your area, that then supplies your place (and others) via cable. That is the case where I leave, I think. Cable to my place, but it is the crappy MMDS service we get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

MMDS fed cable systems don't require an aerial on the roof, just an aerial at a central location with a decoder feeding the the cable to the houses.

I don't know how they do broadband in a setup like yours.

yeah that makes sense. Thanks. Looking into sky now sick of paying nearly €70 to UPC a month for a crap amount of channels :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

Just be aware broadband from Sky uses a phone line and depending on your distance from the telephone exchange may be fast or slow. UPCs broadband is generally known as the best around, baring eFibre.

It is likely all areas with MMDS TV fed by cable will be upgraded before any shut down in a few years. Skys TV setup is more expensive than UPC, especially for multiroom but is generally much better to use.

I have UPC for internet and TV from Sky but it is not a cheap option as UPCs cheapest internet is 50 per month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

What sort of download speeds are you getting OP?and do you have a UPC digital plus box (that you can record and pause TV shows with) for your TV service?

I've never heard of UPC supplying broadband through MMDS,maybe they just haven't updated what services are available at your address on their system.

What sort of download speeds are you getting OP?and do you have a UPC digital plus box (that you can record and pause TV shows with) for your TV service?

I've never heard of UPC supplying broadband through MMDS,maybe they just haven't updated what services are available at your address on their system.

I think is supposed to be 50MB but I have never tested it. And yes I have a recording device as well. It seems strange to me also :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭okla

I had the same situation in Lusk Co Dublin.
    We had the triple play services 30mb, tv and phone.
    When I asked UPC said the tv part is fed by MMDS.
    The TV lineup didnt have the full amount of channels (there were a few minor ones and +1 channels missing and they couldnt supply On Demand, HDTV, Horizon or anything above 30Mb broadband, and still cant.
    I ditched their brutal tv service and went with Freesat+ and Saorview and am only paying €42 a monthy for internet and phone and am very happy with the free tv I get now.
    Hope this is some help.

Advertisement