Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HAS THE TIME COME TO SPLIT DUBLIN GAA??

• 23-09-2013 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Dublin have won 2 of the last 3 AI and will probably win 3 of the next 4. They are dominating at minor and U-21 level also

How longer will the GAA permit players from a bloated area which houses an enormous chunk of the Irish population to play in the same championship as one county as Leitrim, and other less fortunate counties??

An innovative proposal was aired some years back to split Dublin into North and South. This was shouted down and never got anywhere.

Currently, Dublin players get to play every match in the AI Championship at home. In Dublin. In front of their own supporters who have their own private terrace. The Hill 16 element is less important but is indicative of how reverentially Dublin is treated by the GAA

Travel/Commuting is not an issue for Dublin players like it is for so many other counties' players. They all live in Dublin, work near to where they live and play football. If only that was the case nationally, but it isnt

We have heard countless tales of inter-county standard players being forced to emigrate to look for work. So they are unavailable to their counties. Have u ever heard of a Dublin player having to emigrate?? No, me neither...

Dublin can avail of the best training facilities in their own city. Is it any wonder they are by far the fittest team in the country?? They have been working for years now with sports science experts to give them an edge. Other counties don't have this expertise or resources and so are well behind

If Dublin were to be split into North and South, either or both would still win AI titles. There is a huge amount of GAA clubs in both North and South Dublin, so this is nothing to be afraid of. There is also a natural rivalry in place between those N & S of the river.

So I say to the GAA, fairness must come before commerce. Dublin's status as the Association's cash cow cannot blind the GAA to reality.

I am from a Leinster county that has endured countless defeats by Dublin. Fair enough. Just get on with it and improve. But we don't have a level playing field any more.

For the good of our Association, something must be done.

I say to the GAA, Please give us a LEVEL PLAYING FIELD

Split Dublin GAA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Why don't we just split them into those with country parents and those with Dublin parents ? ..... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

You make it sound like you blame Dublin for factors beyond their control. It's not the fault of Dublin players that they can get jobs within their own county or that the main stadium is there.

And if they are fitter you can't punish them for that. Nothing stopping other counties getting to same level. It's like accusing somebody who does well in their Leaving Cert of cheating because they studied hard.

You mention two All Irelands in three years. Could also say two finals in 18 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Did they even make a Leinster final at minor or under 21 this year?

I know they dominated minor and u21 the last few years but this is very premature.

They've won 2 AI's since 1995.

It's like that time when KK were going for 5 in a row. Dublin haven't even won 2 in a row yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭fta93

I wonder were you saying this in the years between 95 and 11 when Dublin didn't win an All Ireland?

And the 'Private Terrace' comment. Rubbish. Opposition counties regularly sell back or swap hill tickets, god even Mayo sent some back this year. Its hardly Dublin's fault that these are being sent back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,817 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Gerry91 wrote: »
    Did they even make a Leinster final at minor or under 21 this year?

I know they dominated minor and u21 the last few years but this is very premature.

They've won 2 AI's since 1995.

It's like that time when KK were going for 5 in a row. Dublin haven't even won 2 in a row yet!

Was the same said when Kerry where winning all Ireland nearly every year a few decades ago

Should Kilkenny be split up as well - how many championships have they won?

Or is this another anti-dublin thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Dublin look like they will be the team to beat for the foreseeable future so you want to split the team up?
    Don't see an reason for this. I don't remember them being particularly dominant at any other stage in the recent past, other teams will emerge to challenge them. By that reasoning Kilkenny should have been split up years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

So much fail... Dublin have won 2 All Ireland Football Championships in the last 3 years. And 4 in the last 30. ('83, '95, '11, '13). This is not a dominant team. There has been no team truly dominant in football since Kerry and Tyrone of the Naughties both went off the boil. Since '08:

-Tyrone
    -Kerry
    -Cork
    -Dublin
    -Donegal
    -Dublin

In the past 6 seasons, only one team has won it more than once in those years. And if Dublin do emerge now as a pre-eminent force, why should they be punished? Should the Kerry team so dominant in the Naughties have been divided into East Kerry and West Kerry? North Kilkenny and South Kilkenny to try and stop Kilkenny's hurlers for the last 10 years or so?

It is not up to the GAA or anybody else to "hobble" or hinder a team that is successful. It is not up to a successful team to lower their standard down to the rest of the chasing pack. It is up to the chasing pack to up their game to hit hard with the rest of the big boys. That's all.

You can be damn sure that if ANY overture of this was made by the GAA, it would be shot down, AND very quickly.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Was the same said when Kerry where winning all Ireland nearly every year a few decades ago

Should Kilkenny be split up as well - how many championships have they won?

Or is this another anti-dublin thread?

Well there actually was a few who suggested KK be split back when they were going for 5 in a row- hence why I mentioned it in my post

Of course it's all OTT and knee-jerk

Don't think it's necessarily an anti-Dub thread. In fairness south Dublin for example would still have a bigger pick than most of the country should the split hypothetically happen. It is very premature but if they won a load in a row and cleaned up at underage then it might have a tad bit of merit

There were a few iirc who mentioned the possibility of Dublin splitting at underage when they won minor and u 21 last year..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I was wondering when this would crop up.

Should New Zealand be split into north and south because they seem to be so good at rugby?
    Should Kilkenny be split into north and south because they seem to be so good at hurling?
    Should Germany be split into east and west because they seem to be so good at football?
    Should Dublin be split into north and south on the strength of four reasonably successful championships?

P_1 wrote: »
    I was wondering when this would crop up.

Should New Zealand be split into north and south because they seem to be so good at rugby?
    Should Kilkenny be split into north and south because they seem to be so good at hurling?
    Should Germany be split into east and west because they seem to be so good at football?
    Should Dublin be split into north and south on the strength of four reasonably successful championships?

Think the OP's point though is in relation to the size of Dublin as a whole. That they've a far bigger population (pick) than any other county

In fairness "south Kilkenny" would be tiny and would be incredibly unfair to punish them just for being good.

I don't agree one bit with it btw just seeing it from OP's angle here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

I think Dublin is certainly too big and splitting it into 2, 3 or 4 regions would make sense.

The problem I have with Dublin is not that they are too successful (although their recent domination of Leinster is a problem), but that one team is not enough to represent a population so huge. There has to be a huge amount of attrition in terms of players from those successful underage teams and the lack of a realistic inter county outlet has to be a disincentive for many talented players who fail to make the grade at senior inter-county level with the Dubs.

Another reason is that the size and vastness of Dublin's population means there is a disconnect there between players and supporters that doesn't (in my own experience anyway) exist in other counties. In my own relatively small county, I know a number of players and have always taken it for granted that I will always know or have a reasonable knowledge of a few players. When we have success, the whole county goes nuts, when we won an All Ireland we partied for several months!!

In my adopted home in South Dublin suburbia you wouldn't hardly have known there was a game on yesterday, granted, most of the residents are like myself, non-Dubs, and I know that had I went down to the local GAA club or a few of the pubs there would have been a fair few enjoying the festivities, but there's no comparison.

I say split the Dubs, into 2 or preferably 3, and not because they always win, as history shows they most definitely don't, but look at the increased joy the rest of the country would get if they got to beat the Dubs two or maybe three times in the same season!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

freddiek wrote: »
    Dublin have won 2 of the last 3 AI and will probably win 3 of the next 4. They are dominating at minor and U-21 level also

How longer will the GAA permit players from a bloated area which houses an enormous chunk of the Irish population to play in the same championship as one county as Leitrim, and other less fortunate counties??

An innovative proposal was aired some years back to split Dublin into North and South. This was shouted down and never got anywhere.

Currently, Dublin players get to play every match in the AI Championship at home. In Dublin. In front of their own supporters who have their own private terrace. The Hill 16 element is less important but is indicative of how reverentially Dublin is treated by the GAA

Travel/Commuting is not an issue for Dublin players like it is for so many other counties' players. They all live in Dublin, work near to where they live and play football. If only that was the case nationally, but it isnt

We have heard countless tales of inter-county standard players being forced to emigrate to look for work. So they are unavailable to their counties. Have u ever heard of a Dublin player having to emigrate?? No, me neither...

Dublin can avail of the best training facilities in their own city. Is it any wonder they are by far the fittest team in the country?? They have been working for years now with sports science experts to give them an edge. Other counties don't have this expertise or resources and so are well behind

If Dublin were to be split into North and South, either or both would still win AI titles. There is a huge amount of GAA clubs in both North and South Dublin, so this is nothing to be afraid of. There is also a natural rivalry in place between those N & S of the river.

So I say to the GAA, fairness must come before commerce. Dublin's status as the Association's cash cow cannot blind the GAA to reality.

I am from a Leinster county that has endured countless defeats by Dublin. Fair enough. Just get on with it and improve. But we don't have a level playing field any more.

For the good of our Association, something must be done.

I say to the GAA, Please give us a LEVEL PLAYING FIELD

Split Dublin GAA

Would you just go away?

I'm sick and tired of your pathetic anti-Dublin rants.

You've been banned once, I mean really get over it already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Bloody dubs ;)

Always playin at home, loads of people to pick from!!!

Ya shower of cheating bickers Dublin!!! ;)

Oh Freddie note I am being sarcastic and somewhere out there is a way to make you happy about yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

No had Mayo not bottled it yesterday they would of won. Dublin are a good side and obviously should have a much better record but they should not be split up.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

So presumably those in the NO camp believe it makes perfect sense for Dublin as presently constituted and Leitrim to compete in the same championship

Leitrim's resources v Dublin's resources. Yeah??

A bookie would lay you 1/100 about Dublin v Leitrim if they ever met in the Championship

Dublin's hegemony in Leinster is another issue. There are weak counties in Connacht and Munster but the provincial title is not solely won by 1 county, as in Leinster.

But sure look, no problem there lads. eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭markomuscle

I don't think the county system should have been used in the first place, larger counties should have been split in order to make all teams have a similar size of land or amount of clubs to get players from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Moderately interesting to see how English County Cricket (ran along similarish grounds to the GAA county system) dealt with the London situation.

With around 20% of the population the official county of London would have huge advantage especially at underage levels so the solution arrived at was not to give them an entry at all. Instead surrounding counties like Kent, Essex, Surrey and (doesn't actually exist as a geographical entity) Middlesex all have assigned bits of London.
    No-one in London appears to feel any loss, the county still produces bucketloads of cricketers and people still go to support the county they feel most associated with.

So presumably those in the NO camp believe it makes perfect sense for Dublin as presently constituted and Leitrim to compete in the same championship

A bookie would lay you 1/100 about Dublin v Leitrim if they ever met in the Championship

Dublin's hegemony in Leinster is another issue. There are weak counties in Connacht and Munster but the provincial title is not solely won by 1 county, as in Leinster.

I'd love to hear how the split would be done, if I was born on south side live on south side play for ballymun and go to college in ucd, who will I be playing for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

I'd love to hear how the split would be done, if I was born on south side live on south side play for ballymun and go to college in ucd, who will I be playing for?

Kildare..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

I think this has merit - we should expand on it big time!

Obviously in the interests of fairness Brazil must be split to North, south, east and west to enable Ireland and other small nations to compete in soccer

China must be split into at least six parts for their olympic entry

England has vast rugby resources and huge numbers of registered players - split them into 8 or 9 parts

US basketball? Yes that's right, 5 way split

or we could just cop on and decide that Dublin haven't actually been outlandishly successful and maybe its not actually broken......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Why stop at a North and South Dublin team.

Why not split it further again. How about Dublin be split into postcodes? Dublin 2 V Dublin 15 and the winners play the winners of Dublin 7 V Wicklow.

The options are endless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

We need to come at this from the opposite angle. Let's merge counties until they bet Dublin. Once the do we'll know it's fixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The idea of a spilt is nothing new, it was proposed by the Strategic review committe in 2002 on the basis that two Dublin teams would locatlise things a bit better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Slattsy wrote: »
    Why stop at a North and South Dublin team.

Why not split it further again. How about Dublin be split into postcodes? Dublin 2 V Dublin 15 and the winners play the winners of Dublin 7 V Wicklow.

The options are endless.
    I don't know tallaght is quite big. East / West tallaght perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Kildare..:rolleyes:

For a season maybe, then we'll ship him back to north south west Dublin.

listermint wrote: »
    I don't know tallaght is quite big. East / West tallaght perhaps?

True. Dilute it down even further sure.
    Lads with surnames A-M on one team N-Z on the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Dubs won't hear of it but the decision may be made for them when attendances go through the floor because nobody can compete with Dublin.

Dublin have taken over Leinster to the point where they have lost one game in 8 years. If that doesnt tell you something then you just don't want to listen.

The Kerry and Kilkenny thing is not applicable. They won everything because football and hurling is in the blood down there. Dublin win everything due to a overwhelming population advantage (at least double of every other county) as well other less significant advantages.

Dublin have 2 teams in The Championship.

That means we're twice as likely to win!

I like this idea. It's really growing on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cornee

There is a lot of very good players on the club scene in Dublin who should be playing inter county so it makes sense to have the county divided and this is not anti Dub post

• Advertisement

cornee wrote: »
    There is a lot of very good players on the club scene in Dublin who should be playing inter county so it makes sense to have the county divided and this is not anti Dub post

Kilkenny have very good player unable to get into the first team, should they have a second team?

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Dubs won't hear of it but the decision may be made for them when attendances go through the floor because nobody can compete with Dublin.

Dublin have taken over Leinster to the point where they have lost one game in 8 years. If that doesnt tell you something then you just don't want to listen.

The Kerry and Kilkenny thing is not applicable. They won everything because football and hurling is in the blood down there. Dublin win everything due to a overwhelming population advantage (at least double of every other county) as well other less significant advantages.

Should the Dublin hurlers be split up as well?
    and the lady footballers?
    and pretty much any sport where Dublin has one team?

In fairness though Connaught and Munster are also very poorly contested. Munster is either cork or Kerry every year and Connaught is one of Mayo or Galway usually. Only ulster is truly competitive in that one of 4-5 teams is in with a shout. The provincial championship model is not fit for purpose at the moment, same teams getting walloped by the same big counties year on year. Hard to get excited about it.

Should the Dublin hurlers be split up as well?
    and the lady footballers?
    and pretty much any sport where Dublin has one team?

Nah, they haven't dominated like the footballers in Leinster. By the way I'm not saying Dublin should be spilt. Let's see how the next 5 years go first.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Bogsnorkler

Hold on, I'd say Cork have a similar amount of registered players and probably more success between hurling and football than Dublin.

Why are the masses not clambering to break us up? Are we not as hateable as Dublin! BOLLOCKS :mad:

mickeyk wrote: »
    In fairness though Connaught and Munster are also very poorly contested. Munster is either cork or Kerry every year and Connaught is one of Mayo or Galway usually. Only ulster is truly competitive in that one of 4-5 teams is in with a shout. The provincial championship model is not fit for purpose at the moment, same teams getting walloped by the same big counties year on year. Hard to get excited about it.

Yes, but at least that has some semblance of competitiveness with one of two counties usually winning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭finky1

first point was shown a miss by hawkeye after 2 goes first showed point scored secound showed miss do you trust hawk eye

Nah, they haven't dominated like the footballers in Leinster. By the way I'm not saying Dublin should be spilt. Let's see how the next 5 years go first.

So basically the argument - you train hard for years, you now win your 3rd all Ireland in 18 years, so let's punish you and split the team up.

The reasons put forward by OP would apply to the hurlers, so you see where the thread ends up with - it's anti Dublin footballers cause they won yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Quite the opposite, Dublin GAA should actually have the parts of kildare and meath that us dubs successfully colonized in the tiger era brought under its aegis. Successful social groupings should be rewarded while failing one be let go to the wall in their own time

So basically the argument - you train hard for years, you now win your 3rd all Ireland in 18 years, so let's punish you and split the team up.

The reasons put forward by OP would apply to the hurlers, so you see where the thread ends up with - it's anti Dublin footballers cause they won yesterday.

No it's not actually but when this issue comes up Dubs automatically go defensive and say its all a culchie plot. A spilt may happen in the future but for the moment the Dubs should enjoy their 7 Leinster title in 8 years and 2 All Ireland in 3.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

You haven't thought it through at all. Splitting Dublin would be worse for Leinster and for their teams.

Quite apart from the fact that their isn't actually a natural split that non-dubs make out. Assume you did split Dublin down the middle across the Liffey. We could still easily field two sides that would both win most of their games in Leinster. It would suit plenty of the players too.

A number of fit all stars and all Ireland winners sat on the bench most of the season and yesterday and didnt get a run, some couldn't even get in to squad. Alan Brogan, Bryan Cullen, Kevin Nolan, Michael Fitzsimmons. Other stars couldn't get in the squad all year.

Based purely on current squad. It would be a slightly stronger northside team, but only just.

So most likely every other year both Dblin teams would meet in the Leinster final, then one would go into the qualifiers with a pretty good chance of a win. Do all the other teams want that?

Now not only do you have a chance to meet Dublin every other year depending on the draw, you also have to potentially face the other Dublin anyway? Both teams are in theory slightly weaker, but it's hardly fair on a Wicklow, Louth or Wexford to potentially cause an upset against Dublin North, but then have to face Dublin South before having chance to win A Leinster title?

What would ruin attendances more than Dublin v Dublin in Leinster final? Especially since a lot of Dubs wouldn't be supportive of the split or either made up team..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Gryire

If you split Dublin they would never again win a Leinster not to mind an All Ireland. Its good crack to see the Dubs win one now and again. They will probably spend the next 6 months in Coppers and be back in another couple of years.

copacetic wrote: »
    You haven't thought it through at all. Splitting Dublin would be worse for Leinster and for their teams.

Quite apart from the fact that their isn't actually a natural split that non-dubs make out. Assume you did split Dublin down the middle across the Liffey. We could still easily field two sides that would both win most of their games in Leinster. It would suit plenty of the players too.

A number of fit all stars and all Ireland winners sat on the bench most of the season and yesterday and didnt get a run, some couldn't even get in to squad. Alan Brogan, Bryan Cullen, Kevin Nolan, Michael Fitzsimmons. Other stars couldn't get in the squad all year.

Based purely on current squad. It would be a slightly stronger northside team, but only just.

So most likely every other year both Dblin teams would meet in the Leinster final, then one would go into the qualifiers with a pretty good chance of a win. Do all the other teams want that?

Now not only do you have a chance to meet Dublin every other year depending on the draw, you also have to potentially face the other Dublin anyway? Both teams are in theory slightly weaker, but it's hardly fair on a Wicklow, Louth or Wexford to potentially cause an upset against Dublin North, but then have to face Dublin South before having chance to win A Leinster title?

What would ruin attendances more than Dublin v Dublin in Leinster final? Especially since a lot of Dubs wouldn't be supportive of the split or either made up team..

You make decent points but at the moment Leinster is gone to hell competitiveness wise. The closest any of us got to them this year being seven points. That's not healthy. A spilt would at least make Dublin weaker and give incentive that they could beat them because at the moment its looks close to impossible with a huge prospect of Dublin getting even stronger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Can any of you dublin lads or ladies who have time throw up what a Northside and Southside Dublin football team would look like???

You make decent points but at the moment Leinster is gone to hell competitiveness wise. The closest any of us got to them this year being seven points. That's not healthy. A spilt would at least make Dublin weaker and give incentive that they could beat them because at the moment its looks close to impossible with a huge prospect of Dublin getting even stronger.

Restructure the championship and it would be fairer, possibly a seeded structure with every county guaranteed 4-5 games allowing weaker counties to improve with a separate competition for the much weaker teams if they want to enter it. The provincial structure is only working in one province. The above would involve a root and branch reform if the current gaa competition and won't happen of course, but it really is getting tiresome at this stage.

Dublin will probably win the next 8 Leinster titles as well, it's a joke of a competition given their dominance. They won't however win the next 8 all Ireland's, very difficult to win back to back AI's any more so why even consider breaking up the team. Splitting the county wouldn't be supported by most people, although it is a pity to see really class players sitting on the bench and some even unable to make the squad. Great problem to have if you are the manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Les Ferdinand

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    I think Dublin is certainly too big and splitting it into 2, 3 or 4 regions would make sense.

The problem I have with Dublin is not that they are too successful (although their recent domination of Leinster is a problem), but that one team is not enough to represent a population so huge. There has to be a huge amount of attrition in terms of players from those successful underage teams and the lack of a realistic inter county outlet has to be a disincentive for many talented players who fail to make the grade at senior inter-county level with the Dubs.

Another reason is that the size and vastness of Dublin's population means there is a disconnect there between players and supporters that doesn't (in my own experience anyway) exist in other counties. In my own relatively small county, I know a number of players and have always taken it for granted that I will always know or have a reasonable knowledge of a few players. When we have success, the whole county goes nuts, when we won an All Ireland we partied for several months!!

In my adopted home in South Dublin suburbia you wouldn't hardly have known there was a game on yesterday, granted, most of the residents are like myself, non-Dubs, and I know that had I went down to the local GAA club or a few of the pubs there would have been a fair few enjoying the festivities, but there's no comparison.

I say split the Dubs, into 2 or preferably 3, and not because they always win, as history shows they most definitely don't, but look at the increased joy the rest of the country would get if they got to beat the Dubs two or maybe three times in the same season!!!

They should've split Kilkenny years ago

Hammar wrote: »
    Can any of you dublin lads or ladies who have time throw up what a Northside and Southside Dublin football team would look like???

How would split be done? Where you play or born or live.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Gryire

mickeyk wrote: »
    Restructure the championship and it would be fairer, possibly a seeded structure with every county guaranteed 4-5 games allowing weaker counties to improve with a separate competition for the much weaker teams if they want to enter it. The provincial structure is only working in one province. The above would involve a root and branch reform if the current gaa competition and won't happen of course, but it really is getting tiresome at this stage.

Dublin will probably win the next 8 Leinster titles as well, it's a joke of a competition given their dominance. They won't however win the next 8 all Ireland's, very difficult to win back to back AI's any more so why even consider breaking up the team. Splitting the county wouldn't be supported by most people, although it is a pity to see really class players sitting on the bench and some even unable to make the squad. Great problem to have if you are the manager.

This great Dublin team won the semi-final by a point and the final by a point. With the new black card rules next year they will need at least 15 sub's to replace the 15 who will be black carded in the first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

This is the silliest thread ive seen in a long time.
    From a Cork perspective id reckon someone from the County is probably several times more likely to be playing football or hurlng over the age of 16 then someone from the city. I would guess that the same is true in other urban centres. Should counties with a large rural population be split up too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Brilliant, thanks for the early morning entertainment. If Mayo/Donegal/Cork/Kerry were in Leinster they wouldn't win it 8 out of 9 years.
    Mayo have no competition in the province and should be winning it more.
    3 All Irelands in 17-18 years back up your point. Good lad. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

keithob wrote: »
    Not a chance of this happening....... its would crush what gaa is all about... community and county!!! .....

thats some mayo team... and they won the minors on sunday... high possibility they will / could win next year or two.. will we be dividing mayo up into North Mayo and South Mayo???

But the original proposal back in 2002 to split Dublin was so that it would improve the community relationship
    Dublin was sprawling and they felt that too many communities were too far removed both physically and socially from the existing Dublin GAA setup

And remember this was suggested at a time when Dublin were not doing well at football or hurling

The official report is on the GAA website but unfortunately only half of it is in the pdf that's up there so the piece on Dublin is missing

I'd love to read exactly how they came to their conclusion.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement