Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HAS THE TIME COME TO SPLIT DUBLIN GAA??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Yeah it's a factor but more to do with injuries and players getting old this year

That's part of it, but last year Galway won Leinster. Now we have a competitive Leinster hurling championship which is great for hurling. I can't see how anyone can call that bigotry :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

prospect wrote: »
    So I am wondering if the issue is purely population, or just jealousy of 'some' success. Because lets face it, Leinster titles aside, they have not exactly been hugely successful in the All Ireland in my lifetime (36 years).

Leinster titles aside is not an acceptable phrase if you ask me. When Dublin win a leinster title they are winning it over another 10 counties who would give their right nut to win one so you can't just say Leinster titles aside....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

It a chicken and egg situation. The reason for Dublin's success is largely down to their population advantage. Sorry if Dubs don't agree with me. I wouldn't expect them to.

The Kilkennys and Kerrys are successful because of tradition and natural skill. They may have a population advantage over some of the counties they defeat but its non a defining factor as is the case with Dublin.

Again, unbelievable.

If this hypothesis was to be true (something it clearly isn't), we should be punishing Kerry and Kilkenny for being racially superior to the rest of us. Natural skill my backside!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

Rightwing wrote: »
    I like Dublin, and would hate to see the county being split up. I was for Mayo, but only because they could do win an All Ireland. In 2011, I was for Dublin. I much prefer hurling as a game, and wasn't happy to see KK win all the All Ireland's. I want to see my county Limk, plus the likes of Clare/Waterford come good in hurling.

But for football, something needs to be done in 3 provinces, and it's not splitting counties. The GAA must do something, like put more resources into the other counties for the good of the overall game. It worked for the Dub hurlers.

Well I'm all for discussion about something needing to being done, like re-organising structures and the likes, once it doesn't effect Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

Dublin has a 1.2M population, assuming a 50% split then:

Dublin a, Dublin B, Antrim, Down and Cork will all have populations of 500,000 to 600,000.

The next biggest county is Galway with around 250,000, so each of the above 4 counties would have to be further split to even that out so then you have

Dublin split in 4 = 250,000
    Antrim, Down and Cork split in 2 = 250,000
    So that is 10 teams.

If population is considered the key advantage to success, would you say that Dublin, Antrim, Down and Cork are the 4 most successful Counties in GAA?

The presumption here seems to be that all GAA teams should be equal. Is that really the desired wish of the GAA itself? Perhaps on paper it is, but in reality it is not an active goal of the GAA.

If we wanted completely equal teams, then we should have a draft at the start of every season. Other than that, this is just complete and utter vitriolic anti-Dublin nonsense.

Dublin a, Dublin B, Antrim, Down and Cork will all have populations of 500,000 to 600,000.

The next biggest county is Galway with around 250,000, so each of the above 4 counties would have to be further split to even that out so then you have

So that is 10 teams.

If population is considered the key advantage to success, would you say that Dublin, Antrim, Down and Cork are the 4 most successful Counties in GAA?

Population is a huge factor but so are other sports like rugby, soccer etc. Counties like Kerry/KK only play 1 sport. No harm in that.

The only benefit to splitting up the Dublin is for the GAA, they'd get more cash, but overall it's a stupid idea.

They should be concentrating on getting other counties stronger.

The presumption here seems to be that all GAA teams should be equal. Is that really the desired wish of the GAA itself? Perhaps on paper it is, but in reality it is not an active goal of the GAA.

If we wanted completely equal teams, then we should have a draft at the start of every season. Other than that, this is just complete and utter vitriolic anti-Dublin nonsense.

Well that's the line the GAA took, when they gave special favour to the Dub hurlers and pumped a few million into the system. And you would have to say it has worked well.

So why not pump a million into say Wicklow football?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Even the population thing is tricky

Galway for example- there's very little football in the east and south, very little hurling in the North. So while it may have a large population and area, not all of this is football-based.

I'm sure Cork has areas with no football and hurling too!

So it can be a bit deceiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

So that is 10 teams.

You forget that for probably a majority of residents in those 2 Ulster counties it is not in their culture to play Gaelic Games

• Advertisement

Dublin, Antrim, Down and Cork will all have populations of 500,000 to 600,000.

So that is 10 teams.

Which goes to show how much of a red herring the population issue is.
    When the population line is trotted out against Dublin it doesn't take into account the large swathes of the county which are gaa wastelands, like Dun Laoighaire and the rugby heartlands of the southside.

Or the number of soccer people who actively can't stand the GAA.

Nor the huge number of non-Dubs in the county also.

Take all those into account and the numbers don't look quite so big, and are certainly no better than Cork's I'd imagine.

freddiek wrote: »
    You forget that for probably a majority of residents in those 2 Ulster counties it is not in their culture to play Gaelic Games

Same is true about a good chunk of the Southside of Dublin also.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

anbrutog wrote: »
    Which goes to show how much of a red herring the population issue is.
    When the population line is trotted out against Dublin it doesn't take into account the large swathes of the county which are gaa wastelands, like Dun Laoighaire and the rugby heartlands of the southside.

Or the number of soccer people who actively can't stand the GAA.

Nor the huge number of non-Dubs in the county also.

Take all those into account and the numbers don't look quite so big, and are certainly no better than Cork's I'd imagine.

These people have always made a large contribution to Dublin GAA and continue to do so. GAA clubs around Dublin are full of country mentors and committee members. No wonder Dublin is now the behemoth it is

These people have always made a large contribution to Dublin GAA and continue to do so. GAA clubs around Dublin are full of country mentors and committee members. No wonder Dublin is now the behemoth it is

Of course they have. Dunno what point you're trying to make there really.

I'm talking about how the numbers don't paint an accurate picture of Dublin's supposed numerical strength. When examine it carefully, you'll find it not to be as large as imagined.

Well that's the line the GAA took, when they gave special favour to the Dub hurlers and pumped a few million into the system. And you would have to say it has worked well.

Why not indeed. I'd love a bit of friendly east coast rivalry.

I wonder will the GAA still have money to pump into these counties if they split Dublin into two? I, as some who attended four league games and four championship games, would never support Dublin South in the All-Ireland Championships. Especially if they came up against Dublin North.

All this talk of Dubs refusing to engage in conversation about destroying their team. Remember the biggest fool is one who minds the business of others rather than minding his very own.

Other than that, this is just complete and utter vitriolic anti-Dublin nonsense.

Vitriolic: Bitterly scathing; caustic

Please show me the posts that are Vitriolic

Vitriolic: Bitterly scathing; caustic

Please show me the posts that are Vitriolic

vitriolic: of, or pertaining to vitriol

vitriol: cruel and bitter criticism.

Examples? Take your pick of any of the illogical ramblings that precede this comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

When Wicklow GAA come to Croke Park with a fully fleshed out development plan, costed thoroughly, with clearly defined targets for improvement at all levels and ages of the game and a plainly elaborated strategy for achieving those targets, and including a mechanism whereby every penny put in by Croke Park is fully matched by the county board themselves (lots of people seem to ignore that element of it), then yes, by all means.

A lot of people (like Liam Dunne for one) seem to think that what happened was Dublin just said "give us some money" and, because Croke Park just love Dublin and are doing their best to trample on the ambitions of Wexford and Westmeath and everyone who isn't Dublin, they just said "here you go" and then voila! A competitive team. It didn't happen like that. And the benefit, ofr Croke Park, was felt not in getting Dublin competitive, it was felt in the vast increase in the number of kids playing hurling in a county where the sport has been traditionally under-represented but where there was massive potential to grow the popularity of the sport due to the enthusiasm of those involved in spite of the fierce competition in Dublin from other sports.

Splitting Dublin, by the way, is completely stupid in that regard (and btw Rightwing I'm aware you aren't in favour of splitting the county, but just to address the OP), since it A) doesn't tackle the actual problems in the inter-county structure B) doesn't address the problems faced by hurling in Dublin or the potential solutions and C) completely ignores the role of the county team in encouraging underage development into the future. Something tells me that for a lot of those advocating splitting Dublin (maybe not all) these things aren't really a priority. It's just about not wanting Dublin to win things in football.

Why not indeed. I'd love a bit of friendly east coast rivalry.

I wonder will the GAA still have money to pump into these counties if they split Dublin into two? I, as some who attended four league games and four championship games, would never support Dublin South in the All-Ireland Championships. Especially if they came up against Dublin North.

All this talk of Dubs refusing to engage in conversation about destroying their team. Remember the biggest fool is one who minds the business of others rather than minding his very own.

I agree, the rural counties have advantages over the likes of Limerick/Dublin/Cork where rugby soccer and GAA are all competing.

My only point is, I'd like to see the likes of Wicklow come good, and the only way is to put resources in.

• Advertisement

Something tells me that for a lot of those advocating splitting Dublin (maybe not all) these things aren't really a priority. It's just about not wanting Dublin to win things in football.

Bingo.

vitriolic: of, or pertaining to vitriol

vitriol: cruel and bitter criticism.

Examples? Take your pick of any of the illogical ramblings that precede this comment.

I'd like you to take your pick, you said they are vitrolic. Please show me.

Kildare have pumped a lot of financial resources in over the last number of years and it hasn't really done a huge amount.

I think Wicklow are their own worst enemy with their bitter inter-county rivalry.

Kildare have pumped a lot of financial resources in over the last number of years and it hasn't really done a huge amount.

I think Wicklow are their own worst enemy with their bitter inter-county rivalry.

Not really true, Kildare are u-16, minor and under21 leinster champions

So...you're complaining that Dublin is too successful because people have put too much hard work and commitment into its clubs? That is pretty unfair alright, they should be lazier.

Fair enough, I know nothing about these teams, but I think it would be good for football if the provinces were competitive. I can't see any benefit if the likes of Dublin and Mayo can win their province at a canter.

It should be said, well done to Dublin on their win and no one should begrudge them it.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, I know nothing about these teams, but I think it would be good for football if the provinces were competitive. I can't see any benefit if the likes of Dublin and Mayo can win their province at a canter.

It should be said, well done to Dublin on their win and no one should begrudge them it.

I should say, as an aside, I'm not from Dublin (I'm one of the culchies helping out) and most certainly did not support them at the weekend. Fully agree about the problems with the provincial system. Dunno if we're likely to agree on a solution, since mine would involve getting rid of the Munster hurling championship...

I should say, as an aside, I'm not from Dublin (I'm one of the culchies helping out) and most certainly did not support them at the weekend. Fully agree about the problems with the provincial system. Dunno if we're likely to agree on a solution, since mine would involve getting rid of the Munster hurling championship...

But that's the catch, the likes of Dublin football would blow all but 3 or 4 of the counties out of the water. There's a huge gap between the top 4/5 in both codes. There's no easy solution.

The MHC must be kept ;)

I'd like you to take your pick, you said they are vitrolic. Please show me.

"The Kilkennys and Kerrys are successful because of tradition and natural skill." The suggestion here being that Dublin are successful only because of their population. Instead of saying, oh I don't know, "Dublin also produce skillful players." Strikes me as a bit bitter.

"But I see Dublin have taken over Leinster with a young team to the point where games in Leinster are nothing to look forward to. If this has being happening at Leinster level for 8 years why would anyone be surprised to see it happening at All- Ireland level." Yeah, except that Dublin haven't been winning Leinster titles that easy for the last nine years. Many of the games have been tight and exciting (think Dublin/Laois, Dublin/Wexford, Dublin/Kildare). Even Dublin/Meath last year was very close until a late Dublin goal. Again, the bitterness here oozes through.

"The Dubs who are anti-discussion on this topic remind me of bigots.."NO SURRENDER" "NOT AN INCH"." When we don't agree with you, we are accused of being bigoted. That's perhaps the most vitriolic of all the posts.

You come at this with a "Dublin are the problem." Even though the Munster football championship has been uncompetitive for 80 years, nevermind 8. And don't come back with the usual "there are two teams in Munster and only one in Leinster." In my life time, Meath, Kildare, Offaly, Laois and Westmeath have all won Leinster championships. Perhaps your bitterness means you are worried about one county, rather than improving the other 31.*

*fully aware that there are five or six counties who could beat Dublin on their day as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

the Dublin posters have contributed nothing of worth to this discussion. As expected

But the non-Dubs from all counties can see there is a problem, especially in Leinster.

We will get our level playing field. Someday
    You don't speak on behalf of me Freddie you can get that straight...

Your anti Dublin behaviour here is disgusting to be honest absolutely small minded

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Speaking as someone from the county that has probably suffered most at the hands of Dublin, I would hate to see them split up. The very rare occasions that we manage to beat them at any age level are special. Beating a South Dublin selection would just not be the same.

They have great advantages but that's hardly their fault. They can generate huge income from sponsorship and some of the figures are incredible but they are right to maximise every potential revenue stream. It is up to the GAA to try and work with other counties and put plans in place for them to make the best use of their own resources. I do think the GAA pays lip service to a lot of the weaker counties most of the time (e.g. the way the Christy Ring/Nicky Rackard Cups have been viewed as an inconvenience in recent times) but that's hardly Dublin's fault and splitting that county will hardly solve those problems.

• Advertisement

"The Kilkennys and Kerrys are successful because of tradition and natural skill." The suggestion here being that Dublin are successful only because of their population. Instead of saying, oh I don't know, "Dublin also produce skillful players." Strikes me as a bit bitter. My opinion, is that Dublin produce the best team due to their huge population advantage. This is backed up by facts and is not vitriolic in anyway.

"But I see Dublin have taken over Leinster with a young team to the point where games in Leinster are nothing to look forward to. If this has being happening at Leinster level for 8 years why would anyone be surprised to see it happening at All- Ireland level." Yeah, except that Dublin haven't been winning Leinster titles that easy for the last nine years. Many of the games have been tight and exciting (think Dublin/Laois, Dublin/Wexford, Dublin/Kildare). Even Dublin/Meath last year was very close until a late Dublin goal. Again, the bitterness here oozes through. Games this year in Leinster were completely predictable to anyone with a reaonsed view. Meath were beaten by 7 points. How this could be classed as vitriolic is beyond me.

"The Dubs who are anti-discussion on this topic remind me of bigots.."NO SURRENDER" "NOT AN INCH"." When we don't agree with you, we are accused of being bigoted. That's perhaps the most vitriolic of all the posts. If you read the context of what this was referring to you will notice that people who were pro-discussion of a spilt were accusedof being bigots so it's actually a dublin poster who first used the word "bigot".

If there has been any vitriol it has come from the side you are on, rather than the reasoned analysis pro-discussion people have provided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭listermint

"The Kilkennys and Kerrys are successful because of tradition and natural skill." The suggestion here being that Dublin are successful only because of their population. Instead of saying, oh I don't know, "Dublin also produce skillful players." Strikes me as a bit bitter. My opinion, is that Dublin produce the best team due to their huge population advantage. This is backed up by facts and is not vitriolic in anyway.

"But I see Dublin have taken over Leinster with a young team to the point where games in Leinster are nothing to look forward to. If this has being happening at Leinster level for 8 years why would anyone be surprised to see it happening at All- Ireland level." Yeah, except that Dublin haven't been winning Leinster titles that easy for the last nine years. Many of the games have been tight and exciting (think Dublin/Laois, Dublin/Wexford, Dublin/Kildare). Even Dublin/Meath last year was very close until a late Dublin goal. Again, the bitterness here oozes through. Games this year in Leinster were completely predictable to anyone with a reaonsed view. Meath were beaten by 7 points. How this could be classed as vitriolic is beyond me.

"The Dubs who are anti-discussion on this topic remind me of bigots.."NO SURRENDER" "NOT AN INCH"." When we don't agree with you, we are accused of being bigoted. That's perhaps the most vitriolic of all the posts. If you read the context of what this was referring to you will notice that people who were pro-discussion of a spilt were accusedof being bigots so it's actually a dublin poster who first used the word "bigot".

If there has been any vitriol it has come from the side you are on, rather than the reasoned analysis pro-discussion people have provided.

I dont believe you understand what 'reasoned analysis' actually means.

I think you really need to hit the books on that one, All of your posts are showing themselves up for what they are. The Jealous musings of a bitter poster who wants to deride Dublins deserved day in the sun.

Notice i said deserved because they have been an utterly fantastic side all year.

No go put some of that effort you took into posting into developing the talent in your own county, where it may be better served.

listermint wrote: »
    I dont believe you understand what 'reasoned analysis' actually means.

I think you really need to hit the books on that one, All of your posts are showing themselves up for what they are. The Jealous musings of a bitter poster who wants to deride Dublins deserved day in the sun.

Notice i said deserved because they have been an utterly fantastic side all year.

No go put some of that effort you took into posting into developing the talent in your own county, where it may be better served.

I have provided reasoned analysis which you have ignored. You have personally attacked me as Bitter and Jealous.

I couldn't agree more, but don't tackle the teams on it, tackle the format of the competition.

Backed up by facts?! You've given your opinion. Your anti-Dublin bias seemingly knows no bounds!!

Was Dublin/Kerry a tight match this year? No, it couldn't have been. Dublin won by 7 points. :D

Well if a Dublin fan used the word "bigot" then the floodgates are open, and you can be as vitriolic as you want. Superb logic there!!

When Kerry or Kilkenny dominate, the wishy-washy response is that, "oh no, it doesn't count when any team other than Dublin dominates because they have small populations." You then claim that this is a factually based argument! Come on pal, take off the ABD glasses when you look at yourself in the mirror ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

My issue is with the hurling. Laois, Carlow, Westmeath managers all said the same thing when they exited the 2013 champtionship: Give us the money you gave Dublin and we'll show you the same results.

Backed up by facts?! You've given your opinion. Your anti-Dublin bias seemingly knows no bounds!!

Was Dublin/Kerry a tight match this year? No, it couldn't have been. Dublin won by 7 points. :D

Well if a Dublin fan used the word "bigot" then the floodgates are open, and you can be as vitriolic as you want. Superb logic there!!

When Kerry or Kilkenny dominate, the wishy-washy response is that, "oh no, it doesn't count when any team other than Dublin dominates because they have small populations." You then claim that this is a factually based argument! Come on pal, take off the ABD glasses when you look at yourself in the mirror ;)

When would you like to see Dublin spilt? Is there any stage you could see it as the most favourable action?

When would you like to see Dublin spilt? Is there any stage you could see it as the most favourable action?

As I said earlier in the thread, I'm 99% sure its impossible as any split would have come from within Dublin. I'd like someone to 100% confirm it though.

If it is the case, then its a non-sequitur as Dublin will never agree to it,making any discussion irrelevant.

My issue is with the hurling. Laois, Carlow, Westmeath managers all said the same thing when they exited the 2013 champtionship: Give us the money you gave Dublin and we'll show you the same results.

Yeah, but again, Dublin didn't get that money by just shouting "give us the money"! They had a detailed strategy in place, and a network of people willing to fundraise to match the funding they received. It isn't just about the managers. They should be lobbying their county boards to put in place a comprehensive long-term strategy both for club and player development, and also for fundraising, as well as a competent strategy for approaching Croke Park to draw down funding. Not just saying "give us money" as though Croke Park should feel obliged to do so just because they want it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

in the short-term, Leinster needs emergency attention. The competition is now a dead duck, as Dublin are unbeatable within Leinster. Not only are they far superior in panel strength compared to their smaller neighbours, but they get to play 100% of their Leinster fixtures at home...

Would you seriously give it a rest.

Every Dublin fan for starters would love a few trips outside of Dublin. The reason is doesn't happen is financial, end of story.

Every point you have made would be detrimental for the GAA. As has been pointed out this is a good Dublin team who have dominated Leinster but not the AI. Other teams need to step up, not look for excuses. Kildare this year, Roscommon, Galway etc... have all had good underage set ups over the last few years, what are those counties doing to bring lads through??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Won the semi by 7 mate

It was never a 7 point game. A lot closer than that

anbrutog wrote: »
    As I said earlier in the thread, I'm 99% sure its impossible as any split would have come from within Dublin. I'd like someone to 100% confirm it though.

If it is the case, then its a non-sequitur as Dublin will never agree to it,making any discussion irrelevant.

Ok i'm not pro-spilt, I'm just pro-discussion based on the fact I would happily bet that Dublin will win the next 5 Leinsters and have the potential to turn the All-Ireland into the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

The simple fact of the matter is that it will not be known if Dublin will become dominant, truly dominant a la Kerry or Tyrone, within the next few years. 2 All Irelands in 3 years does not a dominant team make. Dublin have only won 4 All Irelands in 30 years too. Never forget that. Barren spells numbering 12 years ('83 to '95) and 16 years ('95 to '11) cannot be ignored.

Yes, this is a very good with potential to become great Dublin team. But Dublin could easily be undone next year by any of the other big sides (Mayo, Kerry, Tyrone, Cork, Donegal) as happened in 2012. I find it hard to look past Dublin at the moment, but at the same time, I was saying the same thing in the aftermath of the 2011 victory. It is so hard to win back-to-back All Ireland Football titles nowadays. Last team to do it was Kerry back in 2006-07. Since then, Tyrone, Kerry again, Cork, Dublin, Donegal and Dublin again have all won it.

Yes, Dublin has a huge population to work with, over 1.5 million people living in the county. But not all of those 1.5 million play or are even the slightest bit interested in GAA. In Dublin, there are lots of other sports to contend with, most notably rugby and soccer.

Yes, GAA is huge in Dublin at the moment with success breeding success in both football and hurling.

But if people are wanting to see Dublin GAA split into more than one team, does this include not just the Senior Footballers (which seems to be the primary one people want to see split) or does it include every Dublin GAA team: hurlers, ladies football, camogie, U-21, minor, etc.

Obviously, I would strongly disagree with any kind of a split in ANY county, but this argument has only recently been flung at Dublin. It seems to be a case of overreaction following some success after such a long barren spell. Dublin's footballers and hurlers did not have some sudden magic spell that was waved over them in the last couple of years to get where they are now. This was achieved through incredible, Herculean amounts of hard work, training, sacrifice and increased amounts of self-belief.

No team should be punished for working hard. No team should be split because they are too good. Yes, Dublin hold several advantages in several areas over other counties but that is not their fault. And never must it be forgotten, that a lot of Dublin's success is not due to the luck of having a huge population or anything. It is through blood, sweat, toil and tears; through 6am training sessions before work/college; training after work/college; training in freezing winter conditions on the frozen sands of the coasts; the players sacrificing so much, giving up time with their friends, family and other loved ones; the managers and the backroom staff toiling and working to make the tactics work.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

I for one am absolutely astounded that Freddie has made it this far into a thread without getting banned:eek:

Nothing wrong with debating the topic of the split...I seriously doubt that this is Fred's intention to be honest as anyone who has come across his unique "take" on all things Dublin knows only too well

For me it''s never going to happen and I don't see why it ever should. The only thing worth addressing, as has been mentioned any amount of times on this forum and the media in general, is whether the provincial system needs to be overhauled. That is not a Dublin-centric issue but one for all 4 provinces.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Why don't we just split them into those with country parents and those with Dublin parents ? ..... :rolleyes:

Or go back another generation and split them into those whose parents were Irish and those whose parents were Black and Tans and Auxies. Of course a lot of those birth certs would have no fathers name

Can you please confirm that you accept that what you were saying before was opinion rather than "fact." As soon as we're all on the same page then we can have an actual logical discussion.

Ok i'm not pro-spilt, I'm just pro-discussion based on the fact I would happily bet that Dublin will win the next 5 Leinsters and have the potential to turn the All-Ireland into the same.

It was never up for discussion with Kilkenny or Kerry, and it shouldn't be up for discussion with us either.

Feel free to discuss how we can make the Championship format better by all means, but any talk of splitting Dublin in two is ridiculous and it's based purely on non-Dubs not liking us winning anything, evidenced by the deafening silence when Kilkenny and Kerry were winning all around them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Citroen2cv

Dont know about a split, but definitely dublin should not get to play all their league and leinster championship games in croker.
    I remember them only travelling once this year, to donegal in the league and they won.

DazMarz wrote: »
    The simple fact of the matter is that it will not be known if Dublin will become dominant, truly dominant a la Kerry or Tyrone, within the next few years. 2 All Irelands in 3 years does not a dominant team make. Dublin have only won 4 All Irelands in 30 years too. Never forget that. Barren spells numbering 12 years ('83 to '95) and 16 years ('95 to '11) cannot be ignored.

Yes, this is a very good with potential to become great Dublin team. But Dublin could easily be undone next year by any of the other big sides (Mayo, Kerry, Tyrone, Cork, Donegal) as happened in 2012. I find it hard to look past Dublin at the moment, but at the same time, I was saying the same thing in the aftermath of the 2011 victory. It is so hard to win back-to-back All Ireland Football titles nowadays. Last team to do it was Kerry back in 2006-07. Since then, Tyrone, Kerry again, Cork, Dublin, Donegal and Dublin again have all won it.

Yes, Dublin has a huge population to work with, over 1.5 million people living in the county. But not all of those 1.5 million play or are even the slightest bit interested in GAA. In Dublin, there are lots of other sports to contend with, most notably rugby and soccer.

Yes, GAA is huge in Dublin at the moment with success breeding success in both football and hurling.

But if people are wanting to see Dublin GAA split into more than one team, does this include not just the Senior Footballers (which seems to be the primary one people want to see split) or does it include every Dublin GAA team: hurlers, ladies football, camogie, U-21, minor, etc.

Obviously, I would strongly disagree with any kind of a split in ANY county, but this argument has only recently been flung at Dublin. It seems to be a case of overreaction following some success after such a long barren spell. Dublin's footballers and hurlers did not have some sudden magic spell that was waved over them in the last couple of years to get where they are now. This was achieved through incredible, Herculean amounts of hard work, training, sacrifice and increased amounts of self-belief.

No team should be punished for working hard. No team should be split because they are too good. Yes, Dublin hold several advantages in several areas over other counties but that is not their fault. And never must it be forgotten, that a lot of Dublin's success is not due to the luck of having a huge population or anything. It is through blood, sweat, toil and tears; through 6am training sessions before work/college; training after work/college; training in freezing winter conditions on the frozen sands of the coasts; the players sacrificing so much, giving up time with their friends, family and other loved ones; the managers and the backroom staff toiling and working to make the tactics work.

Absolutely agree with what you say. Any spilt decision should be taken in the event that Dublin dominance is harming the association and interest outside Dublin.

A lot of people are looking into the past and saying that's reason enough to never change things. The past is the past. The future is a different continent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Past30Now

GK1001 wrote: »
    I for one am absolutely astounded that Freddie has made it this far into a thread without getting banned:eek:

Nothing wrong with debating the topic of the split...I seriously doubt that this is Fred's intention to be honest as anyone who has come across his unique "take" on all things Dublin knows only too well

For me it''s never going to happen and I don't see why it ever should. The only thing worth addressing, as has been mentioned any amount of times on this forum and the media in general, is whether the provincial system needs to be overhauled. That is not a Dublin-centric issue but one for all 4 provinces.

I agree completely with this post, although in fairness Freddie has been comparatively measured in his thoughts on this issue.

Dublin have won 10 All Ireland SFC's in 90 years. Hopefully we'll win a few more in the next 90. If we win 10 in the next 20 years, I suggest we should consider revisiting the topic. Until that happens, the overhaul of the provincial system and the championship as a whole is more important.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement