Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can i unroll my lawn and. .....

• 23-09-2013 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

I have a lovely lawn but need to drop part of my garden about 1 mtr deep and im wondering is there any tool/machine that i can hire out so i can take the grass off in rolls like you see on sale in some garden stores. You see not only is it a lovely lawn, this area came from my local football teams pitch when they were selling it off before they built theyre new stadium. The lawn would be 15m x 10m

After i hire a digger out to take 1metre below away, i was thinking that after spreading some topsoil, i could roll this lawn out again and have the same lawn laid rather than having to soe some new seed next spring.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

yoloc wrote: »
    I have a lovely lawn but need to drop part of my garden about 1 mtr deep and im wondering is there any tool/machine that i can hire out so i can take the grass off in rolls like you see on sale in some garden stores. You see not only is it a lovely lawn, this area came from my local football teams pitch when they were selling it off before they built theyre new stadium. The lawn would be 15m x 10m

After i hire a digger out to take 1metre below away, i was thinking that after spreading some topsoil, i could roll this lawn out again and have the same lawn laid rather than having to soe some new seed next spring.
    If its only a small area why don't you just use a sharp spade and take the sod off with that and roll it up in 400mm wide rolls?
    Mark it first then use the spade to cut the strips then just slide it along under the rootmass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

Yes there is a machine to do that job for you, it's called a lawn turf cutter and any decent hire shop has them for hire.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yoloc

Just checked on youtube on lawn cutters, looks easy enough. Shouldi wait untill spring or would i be able to do it now just before the winter kicks in. Was thinking about using a spade but that just seems to muchh like hard work lol. How much would it be to hire one of these machines for a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Just checked on youtube on lawn cutters, looks easy enough. Shouldi wait untill spring or would i be able to do it now just before the winter kicks in. Was thinking about using a spade but that just seems to muchh like hard work lol. How much would it be to hire one of these machines for a day.

http://www.azhire.ie/equipment.hire.products.dublin.ireland.php?sectionnumber=113&number=320

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yoloc

jameshayes wrote: »

129 Euros!! was expecting half that lol i would guess it would be cheaper in the west of the country though.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 6 sillybeggar

You can do this at any time of year ,provided you don't leave it rolled up too long as with any plant life it needs sunlight and water to live.

Advertisement