Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord wants to increase rent

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    So does the lower rent amount stay fixed for the notice period or does it go up after 28 days? You would imagine the days should correlate.

The lower amount continues to apply while the tenant serves out his/her notice. If they decide to stay- the higher amount applies from the date first indicated by the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Also, if you appeal to the PRTB, the lower amount continues to apply while your appeal is waiting to be heard. After that, you pay what the PRTB decide.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

gaius c wrote: »
    Also, if you appeal to the PRTB, the lower amount continues to apply while your appeal is waiting to be heard. After that, you pay what the PRTB decide.

And if the PRTB turn down your appeal- you owe the higher amount from the date the landlord specified- not from the date of the PRTB appeal. Something to keep in mind.......

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭pietromas

Maybe a bit late, but OP have you checked the PRTB Rent Index?

Despite what you will hear from the media, and certainly from your landlord, rents are dropping in a lot of Dublin City areas, as much as 4% in some areas (and not neccessarily "bad" areas). On the otherhand side of course, it is going up by up to 6% in others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I feel this will happen to us soon also. We are paying quite low rent for a city centre apartment and recently finished a 12 month lease. Our LL now wants us to sign another 12 month lease rather than what usually happens where you just keep going on a months notice. I suspect when we say no, she will ask for an increase in rent.

If you don't sign a new lease you would be governed by Part IV tenancy laws which would mean the notice period by either party would be 42 days for a tenancy of 1-2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 logictalk

On your comment:
    The Spider wrote: »
    That said, I don't think 100 euro a month isn't a massive increase 950 is still cheap for dublin city centre. that's really only not going out two nights a month, or walking home instead of a taxi, unless the OP is so skint they can't, which I'd doubt, no mention of rent allowance.

950 for 1 bed apartment (as in my case) in Dublin, it is a massive amount of money especially considering the economic context of 2008-2015 world-wide. Saying "it's cheap", if the milk is

Moreover, it is not "100€" more per month, they pay 950 already. And I do not think they increase their salary 100€ per month every year. They do not work to make you rich, their salary does not belong to you, they have the right to save money and eventually buy their own apartment at some point.

Also, if there is not improvements in the apartment, why an increase? was not fair the price in first place? thing does not change that much in one or two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Thread is from 2013. No need to resurrect it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement