Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does rent allowance work?

Options
  • 23-09-2013 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭

Hi all,

In the middle of buying a house. Tenants in the house at the moment. Owner is finding it hard to get them to move out. Two adults and two kids in the family. They claim they can't find a house. Its in Wicklow and there were a few properties added today, all accepting rent allowance. Rents are about 7/750. I think their RA limit is 610, can they add to the rent or does the rent have to be under that limit?

Is there any way of getting them out? They've had notice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

if they don't move out after having been given notice then the seller has no choice but to go through eviction proceedings which can take quite a long time.

Your going to potentially have to be very patient here or be prepared to walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I'd start looking for another house. I certainly wouldn't get involved in this-it's the seller's problem to get vacant possession back so he can sell with clean title. Your solicitor/bank won't allow you to proceed anyway so there's no point in really thinking about it, just keep looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Agreed; if the tenants want to be pricks or the owner is playing too soft with them then you could be in for a long wait. At best the owner is allowing them to pick the time when it suits them to move, which could take god knows how long, and worst case scenario they are digging their heals in and if the PRTB get involved then it could be a year before the owner is rid of them. As a buyer there is nothing that you can do, and its not your place to get involved. You need to have patience, and if the owner cant/wont allow for vacant possession then you are going to have to consider looking elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

2013Lara wrote: »
    I think their RA limit is 610, can they add to the rent or does the rent have to be under that limit?

Is there any way of getting them out? They've had notice.

Legally the rent has to be under the limit, and the tenant cannot add to it.

Practically this does not happen all the time. In some localities (I don't know about Wicklow), the market is such that convincing a LL to engage in RA fraud is practically the only option for prospectrive tenants who need RA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

Was afraid you'd all say that :( will keep an eye on anything that comes up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

This is just mental & that you even know the details & that it is a problem rings sî many alarm bells. Walk well away & now.

My friend spent over 2 years & between lost rent ( unpaid over 2 years), eviction procedures, Barristor , legal fees etc it cost over 40k. tHEY will be on free legal aid all the way & have possession of the house. Just forget it. There are other empty vacant possession houses out there that are available & no doubt also lovely. Walk away. You are being trapped into a scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

Just an update. They are moving out on Wednesday :-) :-) :-) fingers crossed now it all works out!

Advertisement