Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog reflection

• 23-09-2013 9:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

My dog has recently started going nuts when he goes into the kitchen. We reckon it must be the reflection of either himself, or some light or something in the skylights (there are 3 of them). He will wander in, look up and go bananas....He did it for the fist time last week but once it's dark he is going cracked every time he goes in there now...

The first time we really reacted to it as we thought either there was something genuinely wrong with him or that maybe there was an unsavoury character outside....I've since tried to completely ignore the behaviour in the hope that he would stop but so far it hasn't done any good. Has anyone any ideas how to get him to stop?!

I've just tried showing him a normal mirror but that got no reaction at all...he is definitely looking at the skylight every time though, so it's something to do with the reflection.

Any help is appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

Actually I don't have any help to give you, but I remember I watched a video on youtube where they were talking about that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPwYzfyy_k8

• Registered Users Posts: 23 rener

Put light colored material over the window at night. Or tape newspaper to the ceiling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

rener wrote: »
    Put light colored material over the window at night. Or tape newspaper to the ceiling.

Not really an option I'm afraid, they are skylights and are 10/12 ft off the ground. They are the only decent light into the kitchen so I can't leave them covered all the time.

I'm wondering if there is any way I can train him out of the reaction?

@jsabina - I'll hopefully get around to watching that link tomorrow, thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

We had the same problem with our greyhound. Had to get velux blinds on them. At least with blinds you can pull down the shades at night and leave them open during the day for light.

I think they see reflections of themselves in the glass when its dark so they think they are barking at another dog.

You could try distraction and reward techniques - ie. when he barks at the reflection, distraction him and when he is looking at you and settles down give a treat. Google it for a better explanation/plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭acermaple

My dog has started doing exactly the same thing, he is 12 months old and goes crazy when he goes into the conservatory when the lights are on, not sure it's even his own reflection he barks at more the strange 'shapes' he can see on the ceiling. He is not too keen on mirrors either!! No idea what to do to make him stop,we just try to keep him out of the room at nighttime.

• Advertisement
Advertisement