Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My cat keeps scratching at her ears and rubbing them off things?

• 23-09-2013 9:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭

My cat has been scratching at her ears for a few months now, and whenever she sits on my lap she tries to rub them against my hands. She also regularly shakes her head quite violently and a clear liquid comes out in tiny amounts when she does so.

Is this ear mites, or what else could it be? Anyone else had this issue?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Earmites immediately spring to mind?

Has she had an Advocate or Stronghold spot-on lately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

With mites you can usually see the little black dots deep in the ear canal and if its a bad infestation their bigger clumps. She may also have a respiratory infection, is their any fluid coming from her nose or eyes? Does her breathing sound like a rattle? Either way get her to the vet ASAP as its probably very uncomfortable for her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭jazz101

boomerang wrote: »
    Earmites immediately spring to mind?

Has she had an Advocate or Stronghold spot-on lately?

I dunno what that means, but I only suggested earmites because it was the first suggestion Yahoo Answers made for her behaviour.
    SingItOut wrote: »
    With mites you can usually see the little black dots deep in the ear canal and if its a bad infestation their bigger clumps. She may also have a respiratory infection, is their any fluid coming from her nose or eyes? Does her breathing sound like a rattle? Either way get her to the vet ASAP as its probably very uncomfortable for her

I suppose you're right. I was always going to take her to the vet unless her behaviour was blatantly the symptom of something very common and easily treatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭freesia1

It sounds more like an ear infection to me if there is liquid coming out . You are better off taking her/him to the vets and getting something to clear it up properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Ear infections are mega-painful, OP. And if it's earmites, the treatments are prescription-only so you'd have to see the vet anyways. Vet visit deffo on the cards. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement