Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish A Thig Na Tit orm

Options
  • 23-09-2013 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi I just started grinds in irish with this amazing irish teacher she says I would be better off doing A Thig Na Tit orm rather than An Trial. Im really unsure of what to do and would be really grateful if anyone who did it could comment. Im in sixth year so it might save some time if I stick with an trial but my irish is not fantastic so if the other question would be easier it might be better? :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭pandoraj09

Far easier to do An triail. A thig na tit orm is not difficult though and the exam questions are always very straightforward. Personally having taught at LC Higher level for 26 yrs, I go with An Triail, as it can be done in a very short period of time. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 clay95

Thank you very much this was helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 soupyryan13

I'm doing A thig Ná tit orm and I must say it is quite easy. We started reading it the second week back and we almost have the 8th chapters done at this point. It has plenty of humour in it allowing you to easily remember key parts. I can't say which is better as I have no idea what an triail is like but I wouldn't put off doing A thig ná tit orm :)

I'm doing A thig Ná tit orm and I must say it is quite easy. We started reading it the second week back and we almost have the 8th chapters done at this point. It has plenty of humour in it allowing you to easily remember key parts. I can't say which is better as I have no idea what an triail is like but I wouldn't put off doing A thig ná tit orm :)
    That is great help thanks an trial can be very depressing so I think I might go with a thig ná tit orm :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I would suggest A Thig Ná Tit orm as well. Especially since you now only have to do 8 chapters. Look through the old/sample questions, all are quite straightforward. Would your teacher be ok with you not doing the one she's/he's doing in class? They might not give you an option for the Christmas test.

• Advertisement

dory wrote: »
    I would suggest A Thig Ná Tit orm as well. Especially since you now only have to do 8 chapters. Look through the old/sample questions, all are quite straightforward. Would your teacher be ok with you not doing the one she's/he's doing in class? They might not give you an option for the Christmas test.
    Thank you :) yeah she says its fine

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Jenly3

An triail is a great play but it is very hard to follow if your irish isn't great ! There's alot of melancholy and it is hard to distinguish between the scenes . I would go with A Thig na tit orm because humour is easier to remember than sadness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Here's a wiki about An Triail: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Triail
    This page http://www.writing.ie/news/imram-irish-language-literature-festival-a-voyage-of-discovery/ describes A Thig na Tit Orm as "a witty and charming account of his Kerry childhood and emigrant life in London and Chicago".
    Really, don't choose something because it's easy, choose it because it's fun. And if your Irish isn't great, sign up for one of those Skype conversation classes, preferably with someone near your age, so you can learn and have a good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

I do A Thig Ná Tit Orm and it's nice and straightforward I think.

I actually enjoyed reading it which is in complete contrast to the prose.
    It's also limited in regard to what questions can be asked as the only Qs I've seen have been
    1. Humour and personality of Maidhc Dainín
    2. Life in Ireland at the time (my personal favourite)
    3. The time Maidhc Dainín spent in school

I obviously can't give a balanced opinion as I have not studied An Trial, though.

Advertisement