Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying for cash (cash in hand)

Options
  • 23-09-2013 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi folks,

I've recently had a myriad of problems with my '98 Mercedes SLK R170 due to it being in a bit of a tip before I bought it and it doesn't make economical sense to repair, so I'm looking at getting the following Mercedes SL 500 in the next few days:

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mercedes-Benz/SL-Class/SL-500-V/30113466717265710/advert?channel=CARS

2002, listed at €10,995, has 79,000 miles on the clock and - I hope - is raring to take advantage of me in every way possible!!

I'm just looking for advice from anybody that may have had experience paying for a similar car in cash - what kind of discount (if any) do you reckon I should be aiming for? My business is entirely cash based (yes, I pay my taxes :pac:) so I have the actual cash in hand.

I don't mind sorting out a bank transfer for the dealer if necessary, but I'm ideologically opposed to Irish banking and don't want to contribute a single cent to them, nor put any amount of funds into an operation working on a fractional reserve banking system. Different discussion for a different day, I suppose!

I know the buyer market for a 5L car is fairly slim these days so I reckon I've got that point working in my favour.

I'm going to get a full mechanic's report carried out before making the decision to buy but the dealer seems to be a reputable outfit so I'm comfortable enough dealing with them.

Any input on any level of discount / possible extras that I should be aiming for would be much appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

btcirl wrote: »
    Any input on any level of discount / possible extras that I should be aiming for would be much appreciated!
    I doubt you'll get much discount as it doesn't work like that any more. You'll get more of a discount if you don't trade your heap in

• Registered Users Posts: 7 btcirl

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I doubt you'll get much discount as it doesn't work like that any more. You'll get more of a discount if you don't trade your heap in

Thanks for the reply!

I won't be trading the SLK in - the repair costs (as quoted by Mercedes) are in the region of €4,500; that's new part prices and prohibitively expensive labour but once I have the SL on the road I'll consider whether to source second hand parts and fix the SLK up to sell it on or scrap it.

Any idea how much of a discount you'd generally be looking at for a €10,995 car, cash purchase and no trade in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

I'd offer him 9, show 9 and if he fails to haggle with you, walk off and tell him where he can find you.
    The market for this type of car is slim and he could be sitting on it in 3 months time.

There is always a cash sale price. For mine it was 15% less than trade in price.

There isn't any golden rule really. It all depends how much the dealer paid for it and how much they want rid of it. I'd aim to pay 9500 but you'll really just have to ring and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Maybe I've spent too much time in the bangernomics thread, where cl500's pop up for peanuts...but is that not mental money for one of them??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Maybe I've spent too much time in the bangernomics thread, where cl500's pop up for peanuts...but is that not mental money for one of them??

I thought the same alright.
    A user sold his e39 m5 for half that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

A lot of garages won't take that much in cash, too much risk on their behalf. Either draft or bank transfer.

As for the discount that's why haggling was invented :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

A lot of dealers wont take cash because of counterfeit money. A lot ask for bank draft and will only accept during banking hours so they can verify the draft.

Yep

Scortho wrote: »
    I'd offer him 9, show 9 and if he fails to haggle with you, walk off and tell him where he can find you.
    The market for this type of car is slim and he could be sitting on it in 3 months time.

There is always a cash sale price. For mine it was 15% less than trade in price.

Yeah the demand for a 5L car is fairly small these days, that's one of the points I was hoping to work with. 15% is a nice number - what were you buying, out of interest?
    ba_barabus wrote: »
    There isn't any golden rule really. It all depends how much the dealer paid for it and how much they want rid of it. I'd aim to pay 9500 but you'll really just have to ring and ask.

Thanks for that, so ball-park figure to aim for of €9000-9500, but possibly nothing at all! :D
    Scortho wrote: »
    I thought the same alright.
    A user sold his e39 m5 for half that price.

I'm not mad into the CL class and they do seem to go for a fair bit lower, but any SL 500's that I've seen pop up have been in or around 10k, with the SL 350's usually going for a slightly higher price - probably due to the larger market for a sub 5L car. The SL has a generally higher spec though as well as superior handling and ride comfort so I don't mind paying a couple of grand premium for that over the CL.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    A lot of garages won't take that much in cash, too much risk on their behalf. Either draft or bank transfer.

As for the discount that's why haggling was invented :-)
    Mylow wrote: »
    A lot of dealers wont take cash because of counterfeit money. A lot ask for bank draft and will only accept during banking hours so they can verify the draft.

As mentioned, bank transfer is a possibility but I want as little to do with the thieving banks as possible on a moral level. I'd be more than happy to add a clause to the bill of sale stating that ownership wouldn't be transferred until they have deposited the cash at their branch which should solve counterfeit concerns.

You're probably right about them saying 'no' regardless, but with the slim market for a 5L car and a Cartell report showing the garage as having taken it in on 03/12/2012 I'd be hoping those points could work in my favour. I'm a terrible haggler though - any tips there would be great! :D

Thanks for all the replies in any event!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd sooner be on an sc430 for 5k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

offer 8k and wait for his reaction

serious3 wrote: »

He might batter you :)

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I'd sooner be on an sc430 for 5k

I don't know what it is about the styling of the SC430 but it just doesn't do anything for me. It's too "rounded" or something, just not a fan of it at all.

The SL 500 is a car I've had in the back of my mind for a few years and it's something I'm finally in a position to afford to buy and run so that's what I really want to go for. Appreciate the suggestion though! :)
    He might batter you

Haha, indeed! :D

Replacing the standard massive alloy centre caps for the alternative ones does wonders, in a light colour they look a lot better.
    Its not cool to like them, but I think they're a great cruiser.

They're also unbelievably well built.

He might batter you :)

and he just might say thanks very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

I don't know if its just me but paying €10k for an eleven year old car seems mental

and he just might say thanks very much!

Think that reference went over your head!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You'd get a decent BMW 645i for that sort of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,297 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Seems like alot for what it is tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

The 645ci is a fine car but the SL500 is in a different league IMO.

€10000 for an 11 year old car might seem like a lot of money but how much did that car cost when new?

OP I would say you will buy that car for somewhere between €9500 and €10000, probably closer to €10k unless they have had it for a while and just want rid of it.

People saying offer €8000 aren't really in touch with reality. How much margin do people actually think dealers make on cars that they reckon they could afford to knock €3k off an €11k car, just because you walk in acting the hard man and "show them" the cash? :pac:

Replacing the standard massive alloy centre caps for the alternative ones does wonders, in a light colour they look a lot better.
    Its not cool to like them, but I think they're a great cruiser.

They're also unbelievably well built.

I've never driven one but I don't know, just seeing them around the place they don't give me that 'spark'. I couldn't imagine walking out of the house every morning and stepping into it, put it that way!
    bazz26 wrote: »
    You'd get a decent BMW 645i for that sort of money.

The BMW 645Ci is actually the alternative that I'd consider! I'm looking at a 2004 model with relatively low mileage, but I also want a convertible. The hard-top convertible aspect is what does it for me with the SL 500. Having had the Vario roof on the SLK, I can't really put a price on the the peace of mind that comes from the security of having a retractable hard-top as opposed to the soft-top 645Ci convertible. I'll be honest, I would consider a regular ol' hard-top 645Ci but the SL 500 is the more desired of the two.
    Seems like alot for what it is tbh

I get you on that one, but I think it's very much an "each to his own" situation here. :P

offer 8 is just that, an offer, he'll then counter with another figure, and then you'll counter that offer, so and so forth and then you'll both be at the point where both of you think your getting the better deal, that's the point you need to get to.

I understand completely im just biased and a cheapass in most things.

Sometimes it leads you off the beaten path where you find unexpected fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 645ci is a fine car but the SL500 is in a different league IMO.

€10000 for an 11 year old car might seem like a lot of money but how much did that car cost when new?

OP I would say you will buy that car for somewhere between €9500 and €10000, probably closer to €10k unless they have had it for a while and just want rid of it.

People saying offer €8000 aren't really in touch with reality. How much margin do people actually think dealers make on cars that they reckon they could afford to knock €3k off an €11k car, just because you walk in acting the hard man and "show them" the cash? :pac:

I fully agree with you there, the SL 500 and the 645ci are completely different machines.

A Cartell report shows that the garage has had it since early December, 2012 so it's been there almost a year with no movement. I can't really see the market for that kind of car picking up any time soon so I would imagine the dealer would be more interested in making a sale with marginal profit than making no sale at all.

I'm meek and thoroughly agreeable - walking in acting the hard man and showing them the money will be an exercise in futility for me! They'd probably end up getting more money out of me than the asking price. :pac:

bazz26 wrote: »

Yeah I saw that one but I don't think there's much point in throwing an extra €1,000 in for an SL 500 that's a year younger. It's got 3,000 more miles on it than the one I'm looking at, and I don't plan on attempting to shift the SL 500 for a few years so by the time that rolls around the 1 year age difference would have a neglible impact on the asking price.

€1,000 would go some way to a decent set of tyres too! :P

Im a salesman by trade and am also a horrible haggler, alot is how you approach it.

If this dealership is like many other in order to give them a chance against unreasonable jackasses they have added 1k to the price, the old "you have to go up to come down" approach and they can probably do a little better than that if they want it out of the yard as liquid money is better than a car just sitting up that looked like a great deal to shift on back in december.

€9500 would be right on the money i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

10k is a bargain for a sl500. Your looking even without VRT at the best part of 100k there.
    Only problem with that car is the 20mpg youlL get on average, probably 13 or 14 in the city , 26 on runs.
    On average miles that will cost 3600 a year to fuel, add tax in at 1800 and insurance in at 700, your looking at base costs without depreciation/servicing and tires at 6100e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

btcirl wrote: »
    I'm meek and thoroughly agreeable - walking in acting the hard man and showing them the money will be an exercise in futility for me! They'd probably end up getting more money out of me than the asking price. :pac:

I wasn't suggesting that you would do that, just disagreeing with the other posters advocating this approach :D

Advertisement