Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying for cash (cash in hand)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Has the newer one conventional suspension though?Id run a mile from air suspension. Will cost you 800 a corner to fix when it goes wrong. Thats when not if. Black looks classier also also so thats subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

btcirl wrote: »
    I fully agree with you there, the SL 500 and the 645ci are completely different machines.

A Cartell report shows that the garage has had it since early December, 2012 so it's been there almost a year with no movement. I can't see the market for that kind of car picking up any time soon so I would imagine the dealer would be more interested in making a sale with marginal profit than making no sale at all.

I'm meek and thoroughly agreeable - walking in acting the hard man and showing them the money will be an exercise in futility for me! They'd probably end up getting more money out of me than the asking price. :pac:

A car in the yard is potential profit, unless their stuck for cash they may hold out. I can't see them adding to much fat to a car with an engine that size, that may even be their cash price, so there may not be much room to haggle.

Edit..
    The reason garages won't take that much cash is security. They'd need a lot of insurance to keep that amount of cash and everyone knows what The General did after getting his bank draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/car-for-sale/5714645

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-cl-class-cl500/5613014

there are two 5L mercs, one year older for a third of what that SL is looking for. Whats your budget? I'd like to see what you can sell it for privately the day after you buy it if you have to put it up on donedeal etc...

The CL is for a rich business man who has made it and wants everyone to know. It only has its effect when new. No one wants one second hand which is why prices are near zero.
    The S is a luxury saloon that is a technological showcase again for the rich business family man who has made it and wants everyone to know. Used they are near worthless. Just look at what a 3 year old S commands relative to new. Its probably close to 30% due to the game effect of new wearing off.
    An Sl is a classic GT convertible sought after long after its rolled out of the dealership. The lowest that car is worth is what its UK value would be which is 7k stg or around 8500 euros. Id pay more for a car with history/condition/good tires etc.
    If anything its too cheap for what it is.
    Old Pagoda Sls are fetching 50k these days. I think the gullwings are into the millions. Obviously these Sls arent worth that but they are worth 10k all day long in good nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭qapmoc

lomb wrote: »
    10k is a bargain for a sl500. Your looking even without VRT at the best part of 100k there.
    Only problem with that car is the 20mpg youlL get on average, probably 13 or 14 in the city , 26 on runs.
    On average miles that will cost 3600 a year to fuel, add tax in at 1800 and insurance in at 700, your looking at base costs without depreciation/servicing and tires at 6100e.

not a bargain so. You would be mad to buy it. Try to sell it yourself on adverts.ie and see how hard that would be.

• Advertisement

qapmoc wrote: »
    not a bargain so. You would be mad to buy it. Try to sell it yourself on adverts.ie and see how hard that would be.

I wouldnt sell anything on adverts except maybe a mobile. If someone wants something enough they will pay. Carzone or done deal will sell the SL for what its worth. You get alot of gamesters ringing but hold firm on the price or state that in the ad. True in this country the road tax limits the market but that car can be reexported to the UK.
    Today all over Ireland people will hand over 20- 100 grand for new cars that are worth nothing. Its called the economy,,
    Have a look at piston heads forums in the UK for an example of petrol heads purchases unconstrained by the warped road tax in Ireland.
    I am not up on late exact SL prices as I looked at them a while ago but I would research the UK market to determine what it would get there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The 645ci is a fine car but the SL500 is in a different league IMO.

€10000 for an 11 year old car might seem like a lot of money but how much did that car cost when new?

OP I would say you will buy that car for somewhere between €9500 and €10000, probably closer to €10k unless they have had it for a while and just want rid of it.

People saying offer €8000 aren't really in touch with reality. How much margin do people actually think dealers make on cars that they reckon they could afford to knock €3k off an €11k car, just because you walk in acting the hard man and "show them" the cash? :pac:

I agree George.

If you assume there's say 15% discount available on every car you're in cloud cookoo land.

What's available depends on 2 things:

1/. What the dealer paid for the car.

2/. How badly they want to move it on.

The important thing is to establish what exactly the car is worth. Do your homework.

Consider 2 blokes going to look at 2 identical cars worth €8500 wholesale.

Buyer 1 likes the car which is priced at €10500. He haggles a bit and settles at €9250. He's of the view that he gotten €1250 off.

Buyer 2 also likes the other identical car that got a sticker price of €9250 on it. He's done his research and buys for €8875. He's only gotten €375 off the asking price, but he's paid €375 less for an identical car.

Contrary to what some are suggesting offering to produce cash "today" does help secure a better deal, but only at the sharp end of the negotiations.

"So €8875 is where you're at. If I got cash to you by 3pm today would you accept €8500?".

Many would as they could bank it immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭dantastic

btcirl wrote: »

A Cartell report shows that the garage has had it since early December, 2012 so it's been there almost a year with no movement. I can't really see the market for that kind of car picking up any time soon so I would imagine the dealer would be more interested in making a sale with marginal profit than making no sale at all.

How do you check that? That it's been with them that long?
    Or do you need to buy the full report?

Advertisement