Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How I Met Your Mother - Season 9

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

It was announced one of the upcoming episodes will be dedicated entirely to the mothers perspective, presumably this will be the pilot for the spin off? can't say I'm feeling optimistic about it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Sparko

guttenberg wrote: »
    It was announced one of the upcoming episodes will be dedicated entirely to the mothers perspective, presumably this will be the pilot for the spin off? can't say I'm feeling optimistic about it though.

I read recently that the new show is unconnected to the story of HIMYM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

The title for an upcoming episode is
    'how your mother met me'
    , so that's probably the one. I don't think it has anything to do with the spin-off (which I confidently predict will be dreadful).

Staging the last season over a weekend has to be one of the worst TV show ideas ever. Barney's been well and truly Chandlered at this stage so the show has gone to pieces as a result. He can only be himself in flashback mode but hardly any of the episodes are flashbacks to before he got back with Robin. At least there's only one more episode before Christmas and then it fecks off for a few weeks. At this stage I have to watch a few Seinfelds after each HIMYM episode to flush it out of my system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Sparko wrote: »
    I read recently that the new show is unconnected to the story of HIMYM.
    Yup it's just the story of how some new female character met her husband. As if fans will go through this whole thing again after seeing just how downhill HIMYM has gone. Also part of HIMYM's original charm was how Ted and Robin didn't fit the usual gender TV roles. Doing the show with a woman makes no sense.

Wasn't he reluctant to commit to the full season? maybe the "roadtrip" was the excuse of him not being there full time, but they decided to add it as a side story when he agreed. (Complete guess though)

He was filming a film at the same time. The roadtrip was a way to have him in the show while fitting it around the film shooting schedule. From what I heard it seems it was the only way to convince him to come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

He was filming a film at the same time. The roadtrip was a way to have him in the show while fitting it around the film shooting schedule. From what I heard it seems it was the only way to convince him to come back.

to be honest, they shouldnt have bothered going to that effort, he hasnt added anything of relevance this season, but i suppose its nice to have the 5 of them in it for the last season.

Raf32 wrote: »
    to be honest, they shouldnt have bothered going to that effort, he hasnt added anything of relevance this season, but i suppose its nice to have the 5 of them in it for the last season.
    Well it was either that or end last season which the originally said they were doing anyway. :rolleyes:

The fact all of this is set over one weekend shows that this was never part of the plan. What really annoys me is all last summer Bays and Thomas went on and on about how the wedding weekend was just a framing device and we would constantly be flashing back and forward to learn more about the mother and get to know her before she finally meets Ted. That season sounds awesome. I did think it would need a reduced run to work fully but I thought it could be interesting. Instead we've got another season of pointless standalones with only a few five second flashforwards and one flashback episode thrown in. I used to love this show so much and it's gone more downhill than I ever imagined.

That was a really enjoyable episode imo, really liked the mothers character

Wouldn't say really enjoyable but best in a while. I hope we see more mother, she adds a breath of fresh air. I loved Lily advising her to steal the van. The 'pause' and Marshall and Lily's reunion was done well. So happy he's at the inn, lets hope he properly interacts with everyone now. AFAIK filming on Sex Tape only rapped recently so don't know if any new year episodes are affected or not. Was disappointed with the second installment of Marshal vs the machine, especially since five miles is not a long walk!

If the mother disappears again for several episodes then it will get stale once more but if they have her appear in every episodes, even to a small degree, it will really improve things. I saw a comment on hitfix that said if the show wasn't trying to drag things out this would have been the third episode or so and I agree with them there. I don't understand why they didn't go for a reduced season run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

That was a better episode to what we have being served lately.
    It slightly moved the story along but giving us silly comedy.
    Worth the watch and I agree why not produce a better shorter run of episodes rather then filler episodes we have being getting.

• Advertisement

Well it was either that or end last season which the originally said they were doing anyway. :rolleyes:

The fact all of this is set over one weekend shows that this was never part of the plan. What really annoys me is all last summer Bays and Thomas went on and on about how the wedding weekend was just a framing device and we would constantly be flashing back and forward to learn more about the mother and get to know her before she finally meets Ted. That season sounds awesome. I did think it would need a reduced run to work fully but I thought it could be interesting. Instead we've got another season of pointless standalones with only a few five second flashforwards and one flashback episode thrown in. I used to love this show so much and it's gone more downhill than I ever imagined.

Turns out this is a reduced run. The finale is March 31st.

Is it a reduced run though? I can't find the link but I read yesterday that their won't be any of the "traditional" week breaks filled with repeats but a new episode each week running up until the finale?

Is it a reduced run though? I can't find the link but I read yesterday that their won't be any of the "traditional" week breaks filled with repeats but a new episode each week running up until the finale?

Thought of that after I posted. Can't find a complete episode list to check the numbers. If it's the same number of episodes as usual why are they taking out the breaks? Surely they want to milk the last season for as long as possible? I've never understood those breaks anyway though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

It's a full season of 24 episodes. Without the breaks, they can finish it in March. They're using the finale to push a new show that will premiere right after, then move in to the 8.30 timeslot on Mondays, with 2 Broke Girls moving into HIMYM's slot and anchoring the night.

So who paid who to have Boys2Men on last night? better than previous episodes although not great considering it was complete filler to the overall storyline. I'm hoping the wedding ceremony happens sooner rather than later as they're running out of ideas and I hope they can end on a positive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

That was so ridiculous! I can't believe we're this close to the end and they're churning out filler crap like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

I like the whole Slapsgiving thing in general, but sometimes the story churns along with it.

Near the end I thought "Ok, it was kinda entertaining... shame we're no way closer to... WTF Boyz2Men??"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Jesus that was awful. The song at the end was a slap in the face to the audience who followed this for 9 seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

im a big HIMYM fan and dont know how often i saw all the other episodes/season.

as a big fan of the show i have to say, that this one was finally HILARIOUS!
    i laughed so much, cant think of any other funny episode in season 9 yet.
    i find it good!

• Advertisement

A few seasons a go i would have said this is one of my favourite shows of all time, but last nights episode sums up how bad the fall from grace has been for the show, absolutely awful, not one laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

If it wasn't for the fact there's only 10 episodes to go, I would've given up watching again...

Why did I watch that until the end.
    What a waste of 21mins and 28 sec's. WHY did they bother to make an episode like this. The filler episodes have being horrendous in this season.

I dont get ye all tbh, i think everybody just thinks negative about the show instead of being neutral.
    of course u'll only find the following episodes crappy too then

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

That was probably the worst 20 minutes of TV I've ever seen. And WTF was with that laugh track, they seemed to just play it randomly.

celica00 wrote: »
    I dont get ye all tbh, i think everybody just thinks negative about the show instead of being neutral.
    of course u'll only find the following episodes crappy too then

Ahh read up a few posts I enjoy this show and enjoyed the episode before the latest one, but this episode was stupid not funny, and not progressing the story at all, which is a disappointment.
    The latest season the filler episodes have had zero purpose, they are not even slightly funny is the problem.
    They don't even progress your feelings for a single character.

• Advertisement

I feel like Peter Griffin felt after he used his Breakfast Machine.

If it wasn't for the fact there's only 10 episodes to go, I would've given up watching again...

That seems like too many!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Callanutd

Its so bad. so so bad. I am in the same boat as a lot of posters, I am only continuing to watch out of loyalty. I've come this far so I will stick with it but if this was season one I wouldnt have gotten to the end of last nights episode. Actually I wouldnt have gotten to the start as I would have abandoned the season long before now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Seem to be leaving it really late for a UK airing at this stage - on the plus side, when does appear it'll hopefully run without a break.

I read #HowIMetYourRacism was trending after this episode, while reading the free paper on the commute today

http://uk.eonline.com/news/500109/how-i-met-your-mother-bosses-address-howimetyourracism-controversy-issue-apology

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Ugh, had a bit of a catch up (fell 4 episodes behind) on a slow, hungover Sunday evening. First of all, that singing episode. Worst piece of TV I've ever seen. I just skipped the episode when I realised the entire episode was singing. I makes no sense whatsoever? Is the Dad singing the events of this episode to his kids? Do the writers even care anymore that this is a story told by a Dad to his kids??

Other than that, the remaining episodes were quite forgettable and didn't really make much sense either. That whole bit where the security office was really in the middle of an ice rink... if they show hadn't jumped the shark a million times already, that was it. Stupidity at a highest level, I know they get paid well, but everyone associated with that "twist" should be embarrassed (I felt embarrassed that I was watching it).

The last episode, the slap one, was downright stupid. I think the complaints of racism are a bit OTT but the entire premise/joke of the training was boring and repetitive about 10 seconds into the the first bit. WTF was up with the "and now here's Boys 2 Men" Are the writers that stuck for material that they just slap :p in a cameo from a band to sing a song??

You may be wondering why I still watch this show since I hate it so much... I wonder that too sometimes. I usually just have it on in the background as I'm doing something else though... don't think I could devote all my attention it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I had zero expectations for this series, but it isn't as excutiating as I had thought it'd be. Having said that, I haven't watched the last episode, so that could all change pretty quick!

On a happier note, this sounds very positive for the Series Finale and will be very interesting to see how the writers pull it off!

http://mobile.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/the-climactic-scene-from-the-how-i-met-your-mother-finale-was-filmed-eight-years-ago/story-e6frfmyi-1226805583883

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭CountryJoe

Dman001 wrote: »
    I had zero expectations for this series, but it isn't as excutiating as I had thought it'd be. Having said that, I haven't watched the last episode, so that could all change pretty quick!

On a happier note, this sounds very positive for the Series Finale and will be very interesting to see how the writers pull it off!

http://mobile.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/the-climactic-scene-from-the-how-i-met-your-mother-finale-was-filmed-eight-years-ago/story-e6frfmyi-1226805583883

Possible
    Id be fairly sure at this stage that the big reveal will be that the mother died.

CountryJoe wrote: »
    Possible
    Id be fairly sure at this stage that the big reveal will be that the mother died.

How would that work though? Lets for a moment assume that the writers/producers have paid attention to their own show. In the context of Ted telling his teenage kids this overly elaborate (& inappropriate) story of how he met their mother, how you fit in a twist that
    the mother died? It's obviously not a twist for the kids, they'd know. So how does an ending like that work? 9 seasons of random stories that have nothing to do with their Mom and then at the end of the story "that's how I met your mother and then your mom died". It'd be a pointless cheap shot at getting an emotional ending. It's hardly that the mother JUST died either because that story is waaay to long and just plain wrong to tell to the bereaved kids... who don't look that distraught either. The mostly look bored.

I'll take a stab in the dark (somewhat similar to your guess) that
    Ted is dying and he's telling his story to his kids before he goes. He doesn't have to be on his death bed just yet, so the kids irritations/boredom at points in the story could be accounted for. It would also slightly paper over the fact that 99% of the story has nothing to do with the mother. He's telling his life story leading up to moment he met their mother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Zwillinge wrote: »
    I read #HowIMetYourRacism was trending after this episode, while reading the free paper on the commute today

http://uk.eonline.com/news/500109/how-i-met-your-mother-bosses-address-howimetyourracism-controversy-issue-apology

They should have been apologising for the abject shìtness of the episode, not racism which, IMO, is a bit of a stretch.

I really liked that. NPH completely overplayed the truth drunkennes thing but it wasn't as stupid as I expected. It was nice to see Ted and Robin interact iwth no angst over him being in love with her (although it's probably coming soon) and the Lily and Marshall fight was done well. I really liked the flash forwards and finding out the kids names.

I think I like the idea of Barney joining the company to get vengeance? I'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,872 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I really liked that episode, but i'm annoyed because they're the episodes we SHOULD be getting this season. Nice bit of plot progression, plus some gaps filled in. If the rest of the season like that i'll be happy.

I am so glad that someone finally called lily on some of the crap she's pulled. I enjoyed the episode, although Barney's job is a bit of a letdown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Enjoyed that one. Especially the Marshal and Lilly stuff.

Marshall being around is much better. Hated that bloody car ride with that annoying woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭certifiedcrepe

This episode has been the most enjoyable out of all the episodes in season 8 & 9 imo. (The last 10 minutes of Time Travellers in season 8 being a close second.)

So many things in this episode made me feel nostalgic of the early seasons of HIMYM;
    The suit guy that stole Shannon from Barney, Lily & Marshall pausing their fights, Lily going to SF, how nothing good happens after 2am. Finding out about Barney's job wasn't amazing but it was witty and still enjoyable since he was plotting his revenge.
    This episode seemed to tie up a few loose ends.
    I also really liked the flash forwards and felt so "awh" at the kid's names! Always knew he'd name one of his kids after Luke in Star Wars!
    Really interested to know who Lily called to pick her up. In my head it could be her dad, Scooter (her ex) or Ranjit!

Next week's episode should be really good. I just hope an episode with a title like "How Your Mother Met Me" lives up to my expectations.
    Episodes like this week's remind me of how great HIMYM is and why I've stuck with it for so long :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Could it be the mother who picked Lilly up?

I figured it's either The Mother with Ranjit driving (since she doesn't have her own car) or The Captain since he's all rich and eccentric and stuff.

I read recently:

They shoot the last scene already 2006 with the kids, because the directors were afraid they would change too much!
    it was planned to have the series on for 8 years but its 9 now.
    and the 9th season will be entirely at the wedding and we will only now in the last episode how/what happens.

also: the actors dont know what happens too, the last episode will be shoot end of February!

Have to say thats a brilliant episode, the best in at least two seasons, barney was genuinely funny again and i had moments where i actually laughed, long may it continue until the end now.

That was quite enjoyable actually. The way HIMYM used to be. Drunk Barney was excellent. Lily and Marshall fighting was great, the show has lacked a serious tone for too long now at the expense of more slapstick, so it was nice to see 'real people' have a fight. The little flashforwards were a nice touch too. Hopefully a sign that the show might have a solid end.

Makes it all the more infuriating though that we had to put up with sh*t writing and convoluted plots for the past 2/3 seasons just cause they wanted to hold off on the ending as long as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

celica00 wrote: »
    and the 9th season will be entirely at the wedding and we will only now in the last episode how/what happens.

Only about 1/4 of the season so far has been at the wedding. The rest is flashbacks and... Since you're clearly not up to date with the rest of us
    Marshall and his sassy black companion driving across country

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Callanutd

What was the last scene all about?
    The guy dragging the chain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

Callanutd wrote: »
    What was the last scene all about? The guy dragging the chain.
    The "Wedding Bear(er)" was being released from his cage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

seabee wrote: »
    The "Wedding Bear(er)" was being released from his cage
    To be more precise "The Ring Bear(er)"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

On last nights episode did it really say April 2008 and it was about the St Particks day party that ted and the mother were at?

Advertisement