Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer won't shutdown

Options
  • 23-09-2013 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

I'm posting this on behalf of a non-member.
    Packard Bell pc running Windows 7 64bit. Approx 2years old.
    Wasn't used for a few months and then booted up. All appeared fine except it wouldn't recognize a flash drive.
    Wouldn't allow her into device manager, it won't even highlight the words "Device Manager" before clicking.
    There were a lot of windows updates needing to be installed but it will only go as far as 'downloading updates' and hang at 0%.
    Then when she went to restart, the same happens at shutdown. It logs her out and just hangs there.
    It ran Malwarebytes and Spybot ok and neither showed a problem, but it won't either run or update Security Essentials.
    I think thats about all I was told!

Help appreciated
    Sean

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Back up all her files and do a factory reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Thought so.
    Any idea what happened? Is it a virus?
    Thanks anyway,
    Sean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Could be...could also be a corrupted registry.

google the reset procedure for your make...back up everything you need and fire away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Could be...could also be a corrupted registry.

google the reset procedure for your make...back up everything you need and fire away.
    I called in the afternoon because there was no point in trying to explain anything to them. They're a retired couple and have spent most of the summer away with family and only use the pc for basic enough personal stuff.
    I booted off Hirens cd and did a system restore that way.
    All was fine until I installed the Windows updates and it stuck at the same place again.
    I deselected that update and installed all the others and all now seems fine.
    Really appreciate your help, thanks
    Sean

Advertisement