Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which wheelset?

Options
  • 23-09-2013 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hello all.
    Dipped the old toes into triathlon this year. They did'nt get bitten off either. So I've got the bug. Managed a couple of duathlons, 2 sprints and 2 Olympics and loved it all.
    So anyways, I am already beginning to plan towards next year. One of the obvious changes I need to make is my wheelset,. I ride an S2 with a budget set of wheels, Shimano R500's. I would like to make a significant upgrade.

So totally open to suggestion. I'll be competing in sprint and Olympic distance events.

I welcome any comments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

scuba05 wrote: »
    Hello all.
    Dipped the old toes into triathlon this year. They did'nt get bitten off either. So I've got the bug. Managed a couple of duathlons, 2 sprints and 2 Olympics and loved it all.
    So anyways, I am already beginning to plan towards next year. One of the obvious changes I need to make is my wheelset,. I ride an S2 with a budget set of wheels, Shimano R500's. I would like to make a significant upgrade.

So totally open to suggestion. I'll be competing in sprint and Olympic distance events.

I welcome any comments.

Budget ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Hello all.

I welcome any comments.

Do u have a tt bike ?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭scuba05

No its a Cervelo s2 road bike. Have a road set up and have been fitted for tt on it also.

Budget under a grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

No its a Cervelo s2 road bike. Have a road set up and have been fitted for tt on it also.

Budget under a grand.

Bang for buck second hand at that budget. Zipp 808s or equivalent HEDs would be my choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

tunney wrote: »
    Bang for buck second hand at that budget. Zipp 808s or equivalent HEDs would be my choice.

Aye Zipps or HED are great wheels.

If you cant pick up some 2nd hand then Zipp 60 wheelset is just over a grand in places.

• Advertisement

So Zipps seem to be popular. Do either of you use them? Any thoughts on planet x 52mm or 60 mm carbon clinchers. I know they're a lot less money than the zipps and have read a few really good reviews on them.

Is it usual for the big stores to have end of season sales in the likes of wheel sets prior to the new 2014 range being launched?
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

So Zipps seem to be popular. Do either of you use them?

Using HED rear and SRAM front.

I dont know much about Planet X, I'm sure they are ok but Zipp and HED would be the wheels at the fore front of wheel technology. Some others like Easton too are pretty nice though expensive also.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

Number one is a proper fit/position, biggest aero bang for buck is a 100euro aerojacket disc cover fitted to any standard box rim wheel, and an aero lid

I've been to base to race and had the proper tt fit done. Agreed, its well worth it. Are the wheel covers you refer to not very vulnerable in the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭gilleek2

I've been to base to race and had the proper tt fit done. Agreed, its well worth it. Are the wheel covers you refer to not very vulnerable in the wind.

Aero cover only goes on rear wheel where most of your weight is. Unless you've very high and gusty winds you'll be fine. It's the front wheel that's most affected by the wind. The likes of a Zipp 808 or similar can get caught by crosswinds. The new Firecrest rim shape is supposed to be more stable than the previous shape. Generally if your aware of which side the wind is on and you watch out for gaps in the hedges/gates you'll be fine in all but the worst weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

anyone any thoughts on these...brother got pair 2 years ago and still uses them on his tt bike..thinking of getting a pair next year

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/700c-23mm-width-80mm-clincher-carbon-road-bike-wheels-carbon-bicycle-wheelset-/251285273161?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item3a81c4fa49#ht_7171wt_904

trinewbie wrote: »
    Number one is a proper fit/position, biggest aero bang for buck is a 100euro aerojacket disc cover fitted to any standard box rim wheel, and an aero lid

where would you reccommend to buy one of these

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭GarethM

If you are able to creep just over the 1k mark I have a set of mavic cosmic ultimates for sale - brand spanking new and usually retail for 2800 EUR.

GarethM wrote: »
    If you are able to creep just over the 1k mark I have a set of mavic cosmic ultimates for sale - brand spanking new and usually retail for 2800 EUR.

haha...if you could do the Cycle to work scheme for me and wait until next summer then you have a deal

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Budget under a grand.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=532094276870776&set=gm.580495485319522&type=1&theater

€750 for zipp 404s

Advertisement