Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cooked Yield

• 23-09-2013 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just a quick question with regards to cooked yield...

Could anyone give me a guess what a 2kg raw chicken would yield when cooked, how many grams of chicken would it yield?

Cheers in advance:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

2kg Whole Chicken

1160g raw (meat only)
    900g cooked (roasted)
    1000g cooked (stewed)

http://posc.tamu.edu/files/2012/08/l-2290.pdf
    (page 2)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Posted this before

-Being a skinflint & inquisitive nerdy type I worked it out.

My butchers does 10 fillets for €10, this also works out about €7.40 per kilo as the fillets are 130-140g average stated on the pack, and I weighed and confirmed they were. I must ask them if they do thighs, never noticed any listed in offers anyway.
    Chicken was 2256g listed on the pack €6.75. I put the whole thing into a wok and filled about 1/3 with water, then brought to the boil, it was breast down. ........
    I got 940g of lean meat from it in total. So around €7 per kilo.

Now this was cooked, so you would have to cook thighs or breasts the same way and calculate moisture loss. But there is also the price of convenience, I don't like boning & skinning chicken, and getting rid of the waste. A tip is to put waste into bags and freeze it, then put it out on the bin day, rather than having it stewing in bins for weeks. There are only 2 in my house so our bin only goes out a few times a year.
    That 2kg+ chicken was in dunnes, I expect the "% yield" from smaller ones to be less. If you value your free time at the same rate as say minimum wage, then the extra cost of processing it might be uneconomical.

Just looking at the panda bin charges in my area. The per kilo charge is 0.277 or 0.166 in the brown bin. My housemate throws out about half or 1/4 a sliced pan per week, so would be cheaper getting half pans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

extra tip: freeze the carcass and waste, but don't bin them, use them for stock.
    You can save even more with homemade stocks.

just get them out of the freezer before you need it, put into cold water and bring to the boil. simmer for a while (the longer the simmer the better the stock.)

you then have a "free" and tasty stock for soup and sauces.

stock can be frozen in tubs or ice cube trays to break out when you need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Drained_Empty

Would you go on out of that with your stock? Are you some kind of 1930s house wife?a ****ty broth made of chicken fat and bone? Throw it out

Would you go on out of that with your stock? Are you some kind of 1930s house wife?a ****ty broth made of chicken fat and bone? Throw it out

lol,
    you dont just eat the stock on its own. you use it to make a sauce to put over your nasty boiled chicken.
    will also contain many of the nutirents and minerals you just boiled out of that chicken. much more than a store bought one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Don't worry, Mr Oxo. There will still be a market for your tasty cubes.

Every nutrient and mineral out of a bloody chicken carcass would be long gone after you boil the be jaysus out of it. Sure why don't you suck the marrow out of the bones and make arrows out of the feathers ? Fair enough knorr cubes are all MSG and nacl .

Every nutrient and mineral out of a bloody chicken carcass would be long gone after you boil the be jaysus out of it. Sure why don't you suck the marrow out of the bones and make arrows out of the feathers ? Fair enough knorr cubes are all MSG and nacl .

Reasons for using the carcass for stock:
    1. The absence of additives like MSG.
    2. The presence of some residual nutrients from the chicken carcass
    3. You get a tasty stock.
    4. The leftover bones can be hollowed out to make musical instruments.

Reasons for using the carcass for stock:
    1. The absence of additives like MSG.
    2. The presence of some residual nutrients from the chicken carcass
    3. You get a tasty stock.
    4. The leftover bones can be hollowed out to make musical instruments.

3 is the main reason.
    soup from a home made stock tastes unreal.
    Stock cubes just aren't the same.

Healthy food doesn't need to taste like crap and if im eating 200 grams of protein a day, mostly from chicken then its bloody well going to taste nice.

3 is the main reason.
    soup from a home made stock tastes unreal.
    Stock cubes just aren't the same.

Well, to be fair, it's a pretty big bonus to be able to play jazz flute with a chicken bone.

• Advertisement

So essentially, take chicken carcass, blender, protein powder, coconut oil, butter and coffee (bean not instant), blend for 30 mins slow roast for an hour then consume?

So essentially, take chicken carcass, blender, protein powder, coconut oil, butter and coffee (bean not instant), blend for 30 mins slow roast for an hour then consume?

1 tbsp of Craze too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

It's nothing to do with nutrients, its taste. And meat recipe involving water, taste miles better when using stock as the base. Its a huge part of european cusine, ie the stuff in good restaurants, not down the chipper.

which good restaurants? what good chipper?

you do know about 80% of 'good restaurants' are buying in the majority of their stuff pre-cooked and frozen/

you do know about 80% of 'good restaurants' are buying in the majority of their stuff pre-cooked and frozen/

source?
    You should eat in better restaurants.
    Ive worked in about 10 restaurants over the years in many countries and they all made their own stock. It's cost effective and makes for a better dish.

One chef I worked for was near obsessed with getting a perfectly clear stock for his soups.

I even worked in a local Chinese takeaway and they made their own stock. Why buy in a tub of stock weekly when you discard the raw ingredients on a daily basis?

You do know that 83% of statistics are made up?

I'd bet even a pre-made frozen beef pie that you lash in the microwave is made with stock.

is this the cookery forum? let's exchange recipes and knitting patterns too

No one is forcing you to read or post.

• Advertisement

No one is forcing you to read or post.

how do you know will heffernan isn't keeping me hostage in his basement gym forcing me to read and write to boards as punishment?

how do you know will heffernan isn't keeping me hostage in his basement gym forcing me to read and write to boards as punishment?

Your posts are too brief if they were being influenced by will \:D/

is this the cookery forum? let's exchange recipes and knitting patterns too

What? Is this some quid pro quo thing where you give me a recipe and I have to give you a reacharound?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Drained_Empty, quit trolling or take a holiday. Your choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

is this the cookery forum?
    No, so in this forum you have to down your eggs raw, and boil chicken till its tough as old boots and force it down, any enjoyment of your food and you are doing it, no pain no gain. If its not vile enough add a dash of that stuff to stop you biting your fingernails.

rubadub wrote: »
    No, so in this forum you have to down your eggs raw, and boil chicken till its tough as old boots and force it down, any enjoyment of your food and you are doing it, no pain no gain. If its not vile enough add a dash of that stuff to stop you biting your fingernails.

You dont make gainz unless you choke your food down. Plus all the gagging counts as cardio and neck flexing pumps you up.

Advertisement