Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheds

• 23-09-2013 10:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking it may be time to invest! What do I need to consider?

I need room for storing a couple of bikes belonged to myself and the brother although my daily driver will be in the garage for ease of access. Storage would be handy as well for things such as the garden hardware and the like to keep the garage free to use as a workshop.

I'm pretty handy with the woodwork etc but would I be better off to just save up and buy one? What about these super duper metal sheds?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

cantdecide wrote: »
    I'm thinking it may be time to invest! What do I need to consider?

I need room for storing a couple of bikes belonged to myself and the brother although my daily driver will be in the garage for ease of access. Storage would be handy as well for things such as the garden hardware and the like to keep the garage free to use as a workshop.

I'm pretty handy with the woodwork etc but would I be better off to just save up and buy one? What about these super duper metal sheds?
    Its a personal choice, but I'd prefer wood with a metal roof, easier to do things to like windows doors etc.
    I got mine from a guy in Kerry and I asked for a corrugated iron roof as I didn't want to be dealing with felt in the future.
    If you are using it for garden stuff as well then you should try and divide it so the storage doesn't swallow the bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I suppose like everything else, it will come down to two things: size and budget.

Whatever way you do it, I'd put down a concrete base (DPC'd and maybe even insulated) no matter what kind you put on it.

I have an older metal shed and a timber one. The metal one is grand, it's a fridge, basically. Baltic. The timber is better, but not as airtight, and the (bituminous felt) roof is shoite. The metal one condensates, the timber one doesn't. The floor of the metal one is concrete - the timber one..........timber, and it's past it's sell-by date now anyway.

So they're both idle, but each did their job for as long as expected, so can't complain.

I built a span new one using a different system a couple of years ago taking all of the above onboard, but it wasn't cheap. But it is The Dogs :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭dwelby101

Im living in town and dont have that much room (or permission ) for building a shed so what I'm going to do is build a lean-to with a styrofoam insulated floor walls and roof with 3/4" plywood as the structure, just tall enough to fit the bike in, with a flip up roof and a door to roll it in, ill still probably keep the plastic throw-cover on it when its inside but im hoping that the insulation will keep the tyres from weathering when the frost and ice comes and the timber should hopefully keep it well sheltered from wind & rain - shouldnt cost more than €60 - i know it wont be perfect but it should be better than just out in the open with a cover on it.... ill put up pics when its done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...the plywood you buy locally will rot on the floor. No if's but's or maybe's about it.

Leave a vent, or put a hit & miss grille on the wall to allow fresh air to circulate.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Sounds like you're in the same position i was a year or so ago.

I needed something to store 2 bikes and all garden tools, kids bikes etc. I bought a superior timber shed from the Shed Factory. Went with an 8x10 which is plenty big. The company themselves were excelelnt to deal with. I had a small leak in the roof where a nail had come through the timber and they sorted it out.

I also bought a BikeBubble to store the good bike in but never got electricity to the shed so it was never used. I bought this to keep the condensation off the bike during the winter. I've since sold one of the bikes so the BikeBubble is for sale on adverts if you're interested ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

[QUOTE=DaveD;86694080

. I bought this to keep the condensation off the bike during the winter. ;)[/QUOTE]

Isnt it a pity they dont make a ShedBubble............:D

Advertisement