Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC in Lucan?

Options
  • 23-09-2013 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

Hey All, i am thinking of signing up to UPC in the Lucan area (Penny Hill area) - anyone have anything good or bad to say about them?
    (interested in service on the horizon tv and connection to the internet)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

samhail wrote: »
    Hey All, i am thinking of signing up to UPC in the Lucan area (Penny Hill area) - anyone have anything good or bad to say about them?
    (interested in service on the horizon tv and connection to the internet)

I've been with UPC over 9 years... no bother with them service wise.
    Very rare that the net/tv went down in that time, possibly only about 3 times that I can think of, if that.

They do incrementally creep up their prices, as much as any other service provider I suppose. But I was on a basic package, and they tried moving me on to another on the sly at one stage.

The wireless router they give you is crap, so I plugged in my old reliable LinkSys WRT54G router into it to take over the wireless side of things.

I don't use the horizon app/tv yet, so can't comment.
    I suspect that that might come out of your internet cap/allowance... if you're on a capped package, but I'm not 100% on that.

If you ever want your broadband port moved to another room/part of the house, they'll do that for around €60.

I got some extras from them for threatening to leave their service when I mentioned getting my own satelite dish and watching freeview/saorview channels. They gave me a new cable tv box to record and all the channels.

regards,
    CD

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Had them when I initially moved into the Willsbrook/Elmbrook area a bit over 6 years ago. They were an unmitigated disaster. The internet worked for about 6 weeks in the whole 6 months I was with them and the TV signal cut out several times, including one whole weekend.
    Moved to Sky for TV and Eircom or Smart (swapping between them) and never had any problem.
    However, this was 6 years ago so I'm sure they've improved since then! I may have just been unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Have been with them for over 13 years in Lucan (since we've moved in). Not always smelling of roses, but they have got their act together very well over the last few years

I'm currently on the max tv HDTV package, with free unlimited worldwide landline phone calls, multiroom, several free HD hard disk recorders, free phone / router and 100mbps internet (no cap) for about €80/month

And you do get 100mbps, where with any other provider you'd do well to get about 3mbps (and don't even mention upload speeds via the old phonelines :D)

Summary: nobody comes close in terms of quality / value

Advertisement