Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 5, Episode 16: Felina

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Todds ringtone :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭Heckler

Well yeah that's exactly what i think, You're making it more complex in your head than it actually is. I don't know much about engineering but i know enough about circuitry and woodwoorking that with a bit of time i could knock something together albeit the keychain trigger is beyond me in fact i've helped my grandad put similar enough things together in his shed (without the gun of course:P). the fact its a gun shouldn't make much of a difference just gotta have something hooked to the motor to manipulate the trigger.
    And walt isn't exactly a dunce now either is he

and just happens the bad guys are in the firing line....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Loved there was some kind of redemption/good in Walt protecting Jesse and being shot, he could've let him die by jumping to the floor himself. How he's forced to finally come clean "I want it", "I did it for me" was a great moment. I don't know what's wrong with Walt rigging that machine gun apparatus. A multi-billion dollar company was built off his initial patents/ideas. He physically can't best anyone, but he needed a way to shoot everyone. I can't think of how he could enter the clubhouse with a detonation device otherwise. How he played Uncle Jack into bringing Jesse into the room worked out rather fortunately. Happy Lydia didn't make it out after she had her former meth crew gunned down earlier this season. Shocked she lasted as long as she did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Loved it, an incredibly satisfying finale that tied up most plot lines (except Huell in that motel room of course), but was not depressing. Fantastic ending, and one that could never have lived up to the ludicrous expectations that have developed in the internet age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Had a slight tear in my eye as the camera faded for the last time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Brilliant brilliant brilliant. Vince gilligan your a genius. Marvellous ending to a marvellous tv show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Enjoyably ending,
    all his hard work will have paid off when Walt Jr hits 18, and his protected his family from any further lash back by ridding the world of Lydia and Nazi's...

Still feel for him in the end, but at least he was spared jail and/or dying a slow death as a result of the cancer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Brilliant. I nearly cheered when Jesse started strangling that dead eyed gimp Todd. I would have cheered only for the fact I was on a train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

goodbye my blue. loved the song at the end. was it an adaptation of a song or anyone have a link to the lyrics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Turpentine wrote: »
    Yeah, but the way Jesse said "I want you to tell me that YOU want it". Walt had been getting Jesse to do his bidding by manipulating his feelings. Jesse wanted to kill Walt there, and he would have except for the fact that Walt wanted to be put out of his misery, so Jesse rebelled.

I think Walt having been hit by a stray bullet already was more of a narrative device than a true deciding factor in Pinkman's "mercy".

Sure Walt was on the phone and Walking around and everything. Even though it was a gut shot, with the right medical attention he could have survived. So I don't think that was the deciding factor for Jesse, I think he just wanted out from under Walt's thumb, even though that meant letting Walt live (for however long).

jesse made him say it because he knew what walt was at & wanted him to admit it to him - like in the desert with saul

maybe, though it clearly shows him noticing it

jesses' not really the killing type - todd the obvious exception - but i'm not sure he really wanted to kill walt

goodbye my blue. loved the song at the end. was it an adaptation of a song or anyone have a link to the lyrics.

it was posted in this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

batistuta9 wrote: »
    it was posted in this thread

ahhhh thanks I must have missed it. I will read through again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Solid finale.

As stated, there was something a tiny bit flat about it, with there being no twists, but it gave very respectable closure to the cast and plot as a whole.

We seen the birth, rise, fall and final redemption of Heisenberg and I think that the show as a whole will be one which can be seen and will be looked back on as an excellent story from start to finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Up until that last scene I was disappointed but seeing the police arrive (although who tipped him off?) and him collapsing to the floor worked so well that everything sort of clicked into place and it just all worked. As others have said if you were to watch the last four episodes together this would seem brilliant.

For one horrible moment thought I thought he was going to finish the cook which was far too cheesy for me.

I liked that he got his final goodbyes (well as many as he could) and that he found a way for his family to get the money. It was a teenager with cancer (who I think the first episode this season was dedicated to) said he wanted to know what happened to Elliot and Gretchen and I'm glad he did because it just fitted so well. I also love that he tricked them with Badger and Skinny Pete and some laser pointers. I figured it out when they were running towards the car but in the house I bought it (although I did wonder how he had found hitmen).

I do wish Jesse had gotten more screen time but I did like his last scene. I like to think he went to Alaska after all but he'd need to be able to contact the vaccumn repair man.

I also hate that Walter had expected to be allowed keep his car keys, he's too smart to make that mistake.

What has annoyed me from the first time we see Lydia, who on earth puts soy milk, or any milk, in camomile tea?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

iMuse wrote: »
    Goodbye Heisenberg

0.gif

is that heisenberg in the reflection?

brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Also, forgot to say, it took me ages to figure out what was different about Marie when she was on the phone to Skyler, then it hit me, no purple. It was a quick shot but when it cut to a full length shot it it looked like there was nothing purple in the kitchen either.

Is it so hard to understand that fans feel let down by such a kitsch finale? Personally, I'd give it a 3. Badger and Skinny Pete as "hitmen" and "Lydia the Tattooed Lady" deserve some credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭long_b

Actually crying in the train at the scene with Holly. Feeling pretty drained heading in to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

'i think youre gonna need a bigger knife'....lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

It was never going to be a mind blowing episode - certain things had to happen, and there were only so many ways that they could. What happened with Gretchen and Elliot and the entire sequence with Skyler were still better than 99% of what's on TV these days.

There was still loads of subtle symbolism in it and
    Meth Damon
    met a pretty brutal and visceral demise.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

batistuta9 wrote: »
    jesse made him say it because he knew what walt was at & wanted him to admit it to him - like in the desert with saul

maybe, though it clearly shows him noticing it

jesses' not really the killing type - todd the obvious exception
    - but i'm not sure he really wanted to kill walt

Todd (through blind righteous rage) and Gale (under Walt's manipulation). He's a killer alright.

Maybe he wanted an excuse not to kill Walt, but I do think he wanted to kill him, and that the main reason he relented was to go against Walt's wishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Before I watched the episode, I said that I hoped Lydia would end up dead, such an annoying princess. And well... \o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

OK, it was solid, but lump me in with those who are *slightly* underwhelmed. And not in a "not enough guns and explosions" way. It just seemed a bit......straightforward?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

I loved the bit as Walt was about to leave gretchens place, he flicks his fingers and it turns from a calm meeting into a lasers on chests terrifying warning.

Todd (through blind righteous rage) and Gale (under Walt's manipulation). He's a killer alright.

Maybe he wanted an excuse not to kill Walt, but I do think he wanted to kill him, and that the main reason he relented was to go against Walt's wishes.

Had Jesse killed Walt, it would have left many fans very unhappy. Gilligan clearly wanted the happiest possible end without compromise, that's what Felina was all about. No more drug kingpin, no more Heisenberg, just the good old loving and caring Walter White who did right by the people he hurt during the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

J. Marston wrote: »
    The music at the end was great too...

:(
    this is gonna be burned in my mind for some time.

I think the ending was more ambiguous than people seem to be accepting. Why so sure of his fate?
    I'm still amazed at how consistent the show was throughout the whole series.
    Absolutely masterful.

technically you can say he is but he's really not though, how many times has he said nobody else dies.
    He's not a killer, in the same way as tuco, mike, todd, etc. if you understand me

i said todd was the obvious exception, he struggled massively with gale

it's not him being a killer, he wanted walt to admit it to him that he was trying to manipulate him is what i think, i'll watch it again later though and he spots that walts been shot too, perhaps leading him to think walt is going to die anyway

:(
    this is gonna be burned in my mind for some time.

I think the ending was more ambiguous than people seem to be accepting. Why so sure of his fate?
    I'm still amazed at how consistent the show was throughout the whole series.
    Absolutely masterful.

yep walter white & tony soprano live on

with the dodos'

• Advertisement

If Walt was hit by an M60 bullet wouldn't he have been killed immediately?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

Happy with that all round, people tend to have unrealistic expectations on finale's, but I think this ticked all the boxes it needed to tick.

If I had to pick one criticism, it would be that perhaps his M60 plan went a little too well, it was a massive gamble, that he wouldn't be killed in the meantime and that they would all be standing up, but I don't give a damn, no show can get everything right all the time!

What a great show, it remained strong throughout it's entire run, it went out on it's own terms, were it on FOX (and some of the other networks) they would probably do their usual bull**** of milking the cow until it's dry by ordering up new season after new season, push it until it breaks and cancel it once the quality nosedives and the viewership figures follow suit. Not sure who gets the credit there, be it AMC or Gilligan or whoever else, but it's good to see that the good of the show was put ahead of financial gain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I can't see how the ending was remotely ambiguous in terms of his fate. It looked like he took a ricochet in the back, and you can see he's bleeding heavily from his front. That's a lot of blood for a weakened man to lose. If he'd already given his nod to Jesse and had a chat with Lydia about the ricin, he probably wouldn't even have stood up again following the bullet storm.

I think people are reading too much into the symbolic deaths of Heisenberg v Walt as well.
    They were the same person, and while it's nice to justify the evil things he did by saying "It wasn't me, it was Heisenberg ;)" that's all well and good, but he doesn't. He states to Skyler "I did it for me. I liked it."

How long before "Baby Blue" replaces "Don't Stop Believing" as people's ringtones and the last song in Coppers before close?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Solid finale.

As stated, there was something a tiny bit flat about it, with there being no twists, but it gave very respectable closure to the cast and plot as a whole.

We seen the birth, rise, fall and final redemption of Heisenberg and I think that the show as a whole will be one which can be seen and will be looked back on as an excellent story from start to finish.

Yeah a good 5 seasons but I think the last eight episodes of season 5 were not as strong as what preceded it. The showdown I thought was very forced and was trying for tension but was overstretching. The keys on the table just didn't work. Subtlety was always a strong point of the show and it lost that in parts at the end. Overall though it was a good finale

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Walt using Skinny Pete and Badger even though “The whole thing felt kinda shady, like, morality-wise? :D was the best plan of the night, moreso that nthe M60.

I just wish we had found out where Saul ended up; will the spin off be set after or before the series?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

How long before "Baby Blue" replaces "Don't Stop Believing" as people's ringtones and the last song in Coppers before close?

Both are depressingly accurate for a lonely night leaving Copper's.

I made sure to scope BB before heading out this morning, just so I can interact with society without fearing spoilers.

There was an RV outside Marie's window, wasn't there? Must go back and check for other 'Shadow of Heisenberg' nods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

Kilkenny14 wrote: »
    I just wish we had found out where Saul ended up; will the spin off be set after or before the series?

Better Call Saul is a prequel. I suppose once Saul was shipped off to Nebraska he was no longer seen as relevant to Walter's and by extension Breaking Bad's storyline.

Hopefully BCS is successful, it might jump forward to his new life in Nebraska at some stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Amazing.... don't honestly know how people could be disappointed in that finale. Absolutely loved it.

Some of the direction from Gilligan was astounding. Personal favourite shot was Gretchen and Elliott were chatting away in the kitchen with the classical music playing, we see Walt closing the gates and sauntering up to the door. Reminded me of American Psycho.. calm before the storm. We had no idea what he was capable of at the moment.

Some strange criticisms from a quick read? The ricin being obvious? Of course it was.. hence why the shot lingered on the "stevia" going into Lydia's tea and the spoon stirring. If they wanted it to be a suprise, they'd have omitted that shot entirely.

Walt saving Jesse felt somewhat right.. as did Jesse strangling Todd. For Walt, maybe it was for a slight fleeting sense of redemption and well Jesse? That was just revenge!

I don't think Badfinger's "Baby Blue" will have the same effect as Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" but it took me far longer to appreciate THAT finale that it was this one.

Thank for Vince Gilligan and team for a stunning 5 years of TV.. how it remained so consistent throughout was just astounding.

There's a Breaking Bad shaped hole in my life now! :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

thought it was ****e to be honest.

they hit everything they had to I guess but it wasn't an ending. It was just someone moving down through a checklist, ticking yeah he saw holly, yeah he got the nazis, yeah he got lydia.. and then it ends

meh

the very last minute of it was a decent way to end it all, but everything leading up to it.. not lost bad, but bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Thought the ending was perfect. It was a somber affair, not a guns-blazing doomsday emotional wreck, which would've been out of place I reckon. That happened a few episodes ago, the last two were 'wrap everything up' episodes. I would've hated a twist, or some ambiguous whaa? ending. What's right is more important (to me) than predictability. It needed to sort out so many things and it did - give fans what we deserve, finality. Wrapped up everything very well, and the characters got what they deserved :
    "Walt" = Found a way to get his money to his family. Also got to explain he himself didn't kill Hank.
    Heisenberg = Died.
    Nazis = Died.
    Jesse = Freed, also killed Todd by his own hands.
    Skylar/Marie = get to find & have a proper funeral for Hank.

Really happy with how everything ended. So happy that Breaking Bad went from strength to strength, went out on a high, with surely it's biggest ratings ever and being cemented as a masterpiece.

I couldn't have said it better myself. :)

What an amazing show and one that will live with me until I die. The acting, story lines & directing was top class.
    Goodbye Breaking Bad, It's been one hell of an emotional ride.

the very last minute of it was a decent way to end it all, but everything leading up to it.. not lost bad, but bad.

My thoughts exactly. But the path to a happy ending was all set out in Granite State when the Nazis recovered the tape without killing Marie, when the Nazis didn't kill Skyler to protect Lydia and their meth operation, when the Nazis didn't kill Jesse after the botched escape. So it was a very predictable outcome.

Brilliant twist: when Walter saw Gretchen and Elliott on TV he did not snap as we were led to believe, it was in fact his light bulb moment after Flynn told him to shove his money where the sun doesn't shine. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Some initial thoughts before reading the thread.

1) Everything went way too smoothly for Walt.
    2) We never found out his real motivations in the end - was it pure revenge to come back for the Nazis and Lydia, or to help Jesse, or to protect his family? Also why did he suddenly want to save Jesse, after showing no mercy earlier in the series.
    3) In every episode, most people's predictions were wrong, this episode they were fairly close.

Still, the episode was a brilliant ending to a great show.

I did get one thing right, I've been saying all along that nothing would happen to his family and that they would get the money in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

the look on Walts face, to me, was like someone being High on Meth :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I think it is fitting that when I finished watching the last episode and Vince Gilligan's name flashed up on the screen I looked at the time and it said 10:10

10 out of 10 for this series. The perfect ending too for me. Jesse freedom!!! Was expecting a lil Sopranos song at the end, what chance of this being number one on iTunes this week?:)

Bravo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Washout wrote: »
    the look on Walts face, to me, was like someone being High on Meth :)

Exactly what I thought. During that last scene I was reminded of Aldous Huxley who apparently asked for LSD on his death bed.

I loved that they didn't explicitly show him taking crystal meth - but I thought it was definitely strongly implied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Amazing. Dont think they could have ended it much better. To hell with going down a controversial route just for the sake of it, I thought it was very well done and a fitting conclusion.

Good bye Breaking Bad :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

If people are a little let down by that, then I'm not surprised considering some of the ridiculous predictions that were made on the various threads here over the past week or more. Walt killing the Schwartz's, Skyler or Jesse? :confused:

I loved it, yes it was straight forward, but it was exactly the ending it needed, every character got what they deserved. My only minor issue was that Walt's M60 plan went a little too well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Shout Dust

I like that, always supported Walt and I'll admit to getting a bit emotional at the end :) Pity it wasn't longer, and for some reason I'd have liked a newsreport or something at the end reporting on Heisenbergs empire and his slaughter of the Nazis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Exactly what I thought. During that last scene I was reminded of Aldous Huxley who apparently asked for LSD on his death bed.

I loved that they didn't explicitly show him taking crystal meth - but I thought it was definitely strongly implied.

I didn't get that at all. Just a sense of satisfaction from righting some of the wrongs he'd caused before he died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

Well, I cried.

I'm glad they ended it on a high. Walt saved Jesse again! Still in tears.

• Advertisement
Advertisement