Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 5, Episode 16: Felina

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

The opening scene of the Need for Speed movie will be Jesse crashing through that fence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

rob316 wrote: »
    Really liked the ending no real complaints but I always felt Hank and Walt should have been the big showdown. Wasn't that what the show was always building to? Todd was a very good character but the rest of the Nazi's were a bit meh. Just think the final scenes deserved a bit more but then again it was fitting to end with Walt and Jesse.

I think the main conflict in the show was between Heisenberg and Walt, Walt won in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Spiderman1975

Yeah i wanted a bit more myself, but we always want a bit more, at least it didnt end up like the sopranos.

Which he referenced

The only thing that really bugged me was how convenient the whole shoot out scene was. From being able to park directly in front, to having the keys placed down within reach. Then there was Jack sending him off only to change his mind for the sake of proving that he wasn't a liar.
    It all just went too smoothly.

Thats BB for ya, you just gotta role with it and enjoy the ride.

Which he referenced

How? not disagreeing just curious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

'i think youre gonna need a bigger knife'....lol

You call that a knife....:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

So wheres all Walts money? Theres 70 mil out there somewhere waiting for Jesse to pick it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I haven't got a chance to watch Talking Bad yet, but here are some of the points Vince made about the finale on the show:

http://www.vulture.com/2013/09/breaking-bad-finale-facts-learned-on-talking-bad.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Shout Dust

shockwave wrote: »
    So wheres all Walts money? Theres 70 mil out there somewhere waiting for Jesse to pick it up.

Or the cops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,648 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Can't see how they could have ended it any better.

Talk about classic Breaking Bad humour though... The entire scene with Grey Matter was just so cold and chilling. I had goosebumps for the whole thing and almost froze when the 'sniper lasers' appeared. Afterwards, when the balaclavas came off, I genuinely LOL'd :D

That alone was enough as a way for Gilligan to thank the fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Spiderman1975

How? not disagreeing just curious.

When he was talking to the Schwarzs about being hit, he mentioned that they'll just hear footsteps, won't have time to turnaround then just darkness...exactly how The Sopranos ended

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

The episode is titled "Felina", which is a reference to "El Paso" by Marty Robbins.
    In the song a man commits murder in the name of love, is ran out of town, and comes back to be with his true love, and he dies by her side.

Walt died in the meth lab. That was his true love. He was Heisenberg all along.

When he was talking to the Schwarzs about being hit, he mentioned that they'll just hear footsteps, won't have time to turnaround then just darkness...exactly how The Sopranos ended

Now that you reminded me that did strike me as familiar at the time but I didn't make the connection, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

How can you say that? How do you another show of this quality wont come along at some point in the future?

I said I can't imagine, I don't know but I find it hard to imagine it.
    I don't think I've ever been so concerned for fictional characters in my life!
    I have to say I know Walt was a bastard but I loved him for the way he tied everything up :')

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Loved it. Don’t think I’ve ever heard that Bad Finger song but it will be played a lot from now on.
    A lot of people disappointed that it wasn’t darker, but he’s dead, I’d call that pretty dark. And there was a twist, the fact that he went from Mr.Chips to Scarface, as Gilligan has been pitching for years, to someone in between (basically a good man with the balls of a bad ass :)).

Series lump in my throat for the scenes saying goodbye to Junior and Holly. I have a teenage son and two young daughters and the thought of having to look at them knowing it was the last time is more frightening to me than going up to Todd and saying “I f*cked Lydia”

Loved the flashback scene to Jesse making the wood shop box, that he described in Kafkaesque, the full dialogue is here and really is some tragically ironic foreshadowing of him being forced to make quality blue meth. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1615558/quotes.
    Also, would have been good if for some reason, the Nazi’s had an RV and he escaped in that. Although, maybe he was caught by the cops on their way to Walt?
    Anyway, always loved him a character, even when he was a miserable git, and am glad he got away, but you have to wonder what sort of man is left.
    But the main thing is he’s alive, eh Whacker? :D

Anyway, called it all years ago. Kinda :p

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74409020&postcount=597

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79415055&postcount=17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Never been so nervous watching a finale to a show. wanted it to be totally satisfying and I guess it was. Glad to hear Walt say he did it for himself. It was such a recurring verbal motif that I knew they'd have him say something because it was obvious that aside from initially wanting it for them it become a thing for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

I was convinced Jesse was going to crash as he was getting away

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

I'm happy for Walt. He died a dignified death in a meth lab surrounded by his creation, he got revenge, he provided for his family, and he made peace with his protégé. That's a better death than anyone else on the show had. He was going to die anyway so may as well go out like that.

D-FENS wrote: »
    Loved it. Don’t think I’ve ever heard that Bad Finger song but it will be played a lot from now on.
    A lot of people disappointed that it wasn’t darker, but he’s dead, I’d call that pretty dark. And there was a twist, the fact that he went from Mr.Chips to Scarface, as Gilligan has been pitching for years, to someone in between (basically a good man with the balls of a bad ass :)).

Series lump in my throat for the scenes saying goodbye to Junior and Holly. I have a teenage son and two young daughters and the thought of having to look at them knowing it was the last time is more frightening to me than going up to Todd and saying “I f*cked Lydia”

Loved the flashback scene to Jesse making the wood shop box, that he described in Kafkaesque, the full dialogue is here and really is some tragically ironic foreshadowing of him being forced to make quality blue meth. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1615558/quotes.
    Also, would have been good if for some reason, the Nazi’s had an RV and he escaped in that. Although, maybe he was caught by the cops on their way to Walt?
    Anyway, always loved him a character, even when he was a miserable git, and am glad he got away, but you have to wonder what sort of man is left.
    But the main thing is he’s alive, eh Whacker? :D

Anyway, called it all years ago. Kinda :p

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74409020&postcount=597

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79415055&postcount=17

If ya throw enough **** at the wall some is bound to stick:-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Hawkeye1

He didnt die in the end, rumour has it there will be more seasons and walt and jessie will return cooking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The episode is titled "Felina", which is a reference to "El Paso" by Marty Robbins.
    In the song a man commits murder in the name of love, is ran out of town, and comes back to be with his true love, and he dies by her side.

Walt died in the meth lab. That was his true love. He was Heisenberg all along.

I don't agree with this when Walt returned he was not Heisenberg, He was not on an ego trip, he was trying to make a mends for the bad **** Heisenberg had done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

Was hoping for a twist initially at the end but when You consider the amount of twists that have occurred throughout the series, I think the episode was fitting.Thought the machine gun scene was a bit far fetched with bullets spraying the club house perfectly other than that I cant complain, anyone else think Walts "Just get me home" in the car was a bit of a split personality thing or am I just overcomplicating?

Best show I have ever watched hands down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Zyzz wrote: »
    Huge machine gun = Mows down all the nazis, saves Jesse
    Jesse kills Todd for killing that innocent kid

Ricin for either killing the Grey Matter owners or framing them (taking down the company)
    Walt will die, I guess from the cancer

Got some of it right yesterday :pac:

I assume Lydia dies right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Dman001 wrote: »
    There ends one of the finest pieces of Television there has been, and there will ever be.

A perfect ending to be honest. When the writers had said last week that Walt had become someone new again, and Hiesenberg was gone, you could really see it. He really didn't give a f**k anymore, he really just saw it all as loose ends to tie up before he died/got arrested. No crazy driven ego, no real desperation, nothing to lose - just putting a few things to bed (literally) before he went. No real anger or resentment towards Gretchen and Elliot, he certainly didn't care about the money anymore - didn't even let Jack finish his sentence when mentioning it. It all didn't matter. And a final bit of honesty from Walt was refreshing, he didn't do it all for his family but for himself. We knew that there was a bit of Walt that enjoyed what he was doing all along.

Jesse's face when driving out of the compound. Sheer relief and joy, my main hope for the character. The little nod between him and Walt was the ideal goodbye. There would have been certainly anger and resentment still between them, I'm sure there was still a miniscule level of appreciation from Jesse's side, and sorrow on Walt's.

All in all, no surprises in the episode. I was sure Elliot and Gretchen wouldn't return, but I knew Walt wouldn't be out for revenge. And didn't think the machine gun would be for the Nazis, but of course Walt had some clever twist than to go in all guns ablazing. I thought the pace of the episode was nice, a bit faster than usual but in a good way. There was no real need to show Walt approaching Badger and Pete for example, or setting up the ricin attack on Lydia. However, I hope there'll be an uncut episode available maybe on the boxset.

Did Walt die in the end, or did the cops get to him on time? The build up of the episode was that he was planning to get caught, but it almost certainly looked liked he died. However, a bit of me really hoped at the end we would see a final scene set 20 years in the future, with an ageing Walt approaching Jesse with the single line "Wanna cook?" :D

It has been some ride though. Think I'll give it a year or so, and do a full rewatch and re-appreciate it all again.

He insisted not a penny of their money went towards Junior. There was definitely still resentment there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

I think I was annoyed that I didn't cry at the episode. But my friend just sent me this in an email saying "Jesse is finally in control of where his life goes" and I burst into tears. I think I need to get more sleep :\

e2C13Wo.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

What a brilliant show. I'm happy and sad all at the same time. Jesse spin-off???.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

ken wrote: »
    Jesse spin-off???.
    You mean like this?

Basq wrote: »
    You mean like this?
    That looks good but the sad thing is it'll be over after an hour and a half or so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Can't see how they could have ended it any better.

Talk about classic Breaking Bad humour though... The entire scene with Grey Matter was just so cold and chilling. I had goosebumps for the whole thing and almost froze when the 'sniper lasers' appeared. Afterwards, when the balaclavas came off, I genuinely LOL'd :D

That alone was enough as a way for Gilligan to thank the fans.

Gilligan thanking the fans? What does even mean?

The description of Vince on talking bad is brilliant
    Vince
    Def: The force from which all elements are created.Often causes both emotional distress and euphoria in humans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I though it was brilliant.

Sad ending though, such a good show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I don't think I'll look up what others are saying and what predictions are being made in future about any show I'm watching, because having read true predictions, it kinda left me a tiny bit underwhelmed watching them play out.

I wonder if they hadn't done the flashbacks before and left them for the final episode would it have been better? I think it meant it would be harder to predict that Walt was going to go after the Nazis or Lydia and having watched them again, they would have added some extra tension to the final episode, especially the one in the house.

I think it would be better watching as a boxset, where you would have forgotten about those flashbacks to some extent and wouldn't have spent much time wondering what might happen next, so everything would come as a surprise.

Kind of like when I watched season 4 without a break; the idea that Walt poisoned Brock came as a major shock to me in the final season. Whereas many people who had at least had time to think about the previous episode, watch it again; and read the rumours online, were left unsurprised by it.

One more thing, after Ozymandias most people were saying that Walt/Jesse's friendship was over, there was no way Walt would try to save Jesse and Jesse would kill Walt if given a chance. In the end Walt did save Jesse and Walt let him live but people still call it unpredictable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

R019912 wrote: »
    To anyone moaning about that ending (which in my opinion was brilliant television), please take a look at the ending of Dexter.

And your point being?

Felina had precious little to do with Breaking Bad but everything with keeping the happy-clappers cheerful.

Walter got it all his way without feeling the pain of loss: the family is provided for, his mentee Jesse learned a valuable lesson for life, he rid Marie of that short baldy caricature of a husband (whom he couldn't stand) and he died on his own terms - peacefully bleeding out on a blue crystal meth trip - cheating the cancer that made him cough.

The message was pretty clear: as long as they leave their ill-gotten profits to the family and save a few souls on their way out, even the baddest motherf***er can be redeemed. Now all hail the King.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Torqay wrote: »
    And your point being?

Felina had precious little to do with Breaking Bad but everything with keeping the happy-clappers cheerful.

Walter got it all his way without feeling the pain of loss: the family is provided for, his mentee Jesse learned a valuable lesson for life, he rid Marie of that short baldy caricature of a husband (whom he couldn't stand) and he died on his own terms - peacefully bleeding out on a blue crystal meth trip - cheating the cancer that made him cough.

The message was pretty clear: as long as they leave their ill-gotten profits to the family and save a few souls on their way out, even the baddest motherf***er can be redeemed. Now all hail the King.
    Ehhh, Walt got died. How is that all his way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Exactly. And what a message. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

I don't agree with this when Walt returned he was not Heisenberg, He was not on an ego trip, he was trying to make a mends for the bad **** Heisenberg had done.

Walt's true love was chemistry. Which he returned to. I agree it was Walt at the end not Heisnberg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Shout Dust

And your point being?

No he didn't, he died alone and bleeding, unable to say goodbye to his only son who now hates him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It was enjoyable and all the loose ends were tied up nicely but it could've done with a bit more of a twist for me. Minor complaint though.

The scene with the lasers was a personal highlight. I knew there weren't really hitmen but seeing those two in the car was a nice surprise and got a chuckle.

The license plate was cool.

xm0htk.png

Live Free or Die is our state's motto. It's on all of the license plates here. I was a bit freaked when I first moved to NH. Heh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

Felt a bit rushed to be honest, bit of an anti climax, the episode before was better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Probably a dumb question but how exactly did Walt get shot? He was lying on the ground over Jesse when he set the gun off and the gun, from what I remember, seemed to be fired waist high?
    Zyzz wrote: »
    I assume Lydia dies right?
    I wondered that too. Now that shes knows what's happened to her, is there any way that she could be cured or is ricin death-guaranteed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

And your point being?

As a proud happy clapper, I’m sorry for your disappointment. And for your distorted view.
    Maybe the alternative ending on the box set will be more to your liking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

J. Marston wrote: »
    Probably a dumb question but how exactly did Walt get shot? He was lying on the ground over Jesse when he set the gun off and the gun, from what I remember, seemed to be fired waist high?

I wondered that too. Now that shes knows what's happened to her, is there any way that she could be cured or is ricin death-guaranteed?

It must have been a ricochet off something which hit him :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

[-0-] wrote: »
    Live Free or Die is our state's motto. It's on all of the license plates here. I was a bit freaked when I first moved to NH. Heh.
    You better live free.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Perfect ending, couldn't have asked better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Shout Dust wrote: »
    No he didn't, he died alone and bleeding, unable to say goodbye to his only son who now hates him.

This will change on his 21st birthday with a sizeable trust fund, then Flynn will surely understand. ;)

I only hope, he inherited some of Heisenberg's pride and tell them Schwartzes to shove it up their prlckly @$$es... just like daddy once did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

bellinter wrote: »
    The shot of him closing the big double doors in Gretchen's house was outstanding, I dont know what I liked it so much.

I was half expecting something like a scene from A Clockwork Orange when I saw that.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Just finished it there...Yep that will do for me.

One question but.

Something has me confused....
    when we got a little taste of what was coming way back at the start of this series:remember when he is having breakfast at the roadside café and he makes his birthday year out of his bacon, well am I correct in saying that there was a rocket launcher in the boot of the car -yet in the final episode it is a high calibre gun???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

qwerty93 wrote: »
    ....Thought the machine gun scene was a bit far fetched with bullets spraying the club house perfectly....
    I agree it's far fetched on how he conveniently got the keys/ Jack stalling for trivial reasons, but I think people might have overlooked the setup.

When he is driving in, the guy says "just park it over there" pointing to the right. Walt ignores and goes left. the guy corrects him initially but then says "whatever".
    All that was needed was that he parked the car parallel to the wall, so that the radius of the gunfire would cover its full length.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Eamo71 wrote: »
    Walt's true love was chemistry. Which he returned to. I agree it was Walt at the end not Heisnberg.

They're the same person

• Advertisement
Advertisement