Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 5, Episode 16: Felina

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Walt died in the one place he felt alive more than anywhere else, a meth lab. He died happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Cranston takes home 225k per episode..jesus..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Just finished it there...Yep that will do for me.

One question but.

Something has me confused....
    when we got a little taste of what was coming way back at the start of this series:remember when he is having breakfast at the roadside café and he makes his birthday year out of his bacon, well am I correct in saying that there was a rocket launcher in the boot of the car -yet in the final episode it is a high calibre gun???

No, only Rambo is using an M60 with rocket-propelled grenades.

q4isDmX.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

What a fantastic show. For me it's the greatest out there and will take some hell of an effort to beat it. I have yet to see The Sopranos though, but I'm not gonna lie I'll be biased towards BB. I really enjoyed The Wire but I love a great story and great characters. The Wire had some fantastic characters but I like to feel a close/connection with characters and you got that with Walt and Jesse whether you liked them or not.

The finale was everything I wanted it to be. Not sure why people thought it was "meh". It wrapped everything up, if there was a twist and we were left not knowing people would've been up in arms too.

I just want everyone to know who Bryan Cranston is and appreciate how brilliant he is. I can't wait to see what he'll tackle in the future. He just killed it on this!

As for the episode itself I really liked it. It meticulously ticked off everything it needed to do. Just like Walt had done for 5 seasons in his methods. Seeing Elliot and Gretchen did surprise me but it made sense and Badger and Skinny Pete was a fantastic touch, proving that even in it's darkest, saddest and final moments we could still take time to appreciate the humour that has always been present and sets it apart from other shows.

Do I sympathise with Lydia's daughter? Yeah of course but this woman was just as bad as Walt or any of the other bads in the show. She basically got Mike killed when he chose not to kill her, even without the umpteen murders she orchestrated and 1000's of live she ruined by shipping the meth she deserved to die for that alone :pac:

Walt killing Jack just as Jack killed Hank was great. The scene with Skylar was fitting too and at least she knows that Walt didn't kill Hank himself and they can now lay himself and Gomie to rest properly. I'm not going to lie I was welling up when Walt was watching Junior for the last time, all I wanted was for them to reconcile despite it not making sense and knowing Junior wouldn't want to hear. That was the saddest moment of the entire series for me.

I think the only thing they didn't wrap up was what happened to Brock after Todd's actions last week although I'm not sure I want to know. It looks like Jesse's driving off into Need For Speed will be the new Malcolm in the Middle joke, no doubt Vince Gilligan did it on purpose too :pac:

Walter White is the greatest TV character of all time bar nobody and I'm looking forward to watching the show the whole way through. This has turned into quite an essay but just goes to show how much I loved the show.

Best show ever? You're God damn right! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Shout Dust

The hardest part I found to believe was that he was able to slip by the cops so easily, firstly escaping NH, then at his house and when he visited Skyler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

Just finished it there...Yep that will do for me.

One question but.

Something has me confused....
    when we got a little taste of what was coming way back at the start of this series:remember when he is having breakfast at the roadside café and he makes his birthday year out of his bacon, well am I correct in saying that there was a rocket launcher in the boot of the car -yet in the final episode it is a high calibre gun???

It was an M60 machine gun, usually too heavy to be held in the hands (unless you're a terminator)

Shout Dust wrote: »
    The hardest part I found to believe was that he was able to slip by the cops so easily, firstly escaping NH, then at his house and when he visited Skyler

Imagine, America's most wanted is coming home and the cops don't bother with surveillance of the family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Just finished the finale. It had some very good moments (Walt watching Walt Jr through the glass, the scene with the sniper lasers, the tense moments leading up to the shooting at the end and the manic strangling of Todd)

It wasn't the best finale to a series I've ever seen but it was certainly a good one (Six Feet Under is still the pick of the series endings)

Overall I thought Breaking Bad was a great show and she gets into my top five

1 The Wire
    2 Oz
    3 Six Feet Under
    4 Breaking Bad
    5 The West wing

Will be interesting to see what Vince does next. Also, an absolute travesty that Cranston was overlooked for that Emmy, especially given how awfully contrived the newsroom is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Whatever happens Brian Cranston MUST NOT do a cameo in the new Better Call Saul. It'll ruin everything if he did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

Torqay wrote: »
    And your point being?

Felina had precious little to do with Breaking Bad but everything with keeping the happy-clappers cheerful.

Walter got it all his way without feeling the pain of loss: the family is provided for, his mentee Jesse learned a valuable lesson for life, he rid Marie of that short baldy caricature of a husband (whom he couldn't stand) and he died on his own terms - peacefully bleeding out on a blue crystal meth trip - cheating the cancer that made him cough.

The message was pretty clear: as long as they leave their ill-gotten profits to the family and save a few souls on their way out, even the baddest motherf***er can be redeemed. Now all hail the King.

This season in particular has been relentless with all the terrible things that happened. Last week's episode where Walt is paying a man to spend an hour with him was heartbreaking, and an ending where everybody dies or something similar would have been really disappointing.

smee again wrote: »
    It was an M60 machine gun, usually too heavy to be held in the hands (unless you're a terminator)

Not quite:
    The M60 can be accurately fired at short ranges from the shoulder thanks to its design. This was an initial requirement for the design

qEZ5U7x.jpg

ken wrote: »
    Whatever happens Brian Cranston MUST NOT do a cameo in the new Better Call Saul. It'll ruin everything if he did.

Walter White is dead though :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Zyzz wrote: »
    Cranston takes home 225k per episode..jesus..

Worth every penny imo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

That scene with Jesse and his woodwork project was so amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Zyzz wrote: »
    Walter White is dead though :pac:
    Better call saul is gonna be set before breaking bad. Thought everyone knew that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

1 The Wire
    2 Oz
    3 Six Feet Under
    4 Breaking Bad
    5 The West wing

No Sopranos or Boardwalk Empire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

J. Marston wrote: »
    Probably a dumb question but how exactly did Walt get shot? He was lying on the ground over Jesse when he set the gun off and the gun, from what I remember, seemed to be fired waist high?

I wondered that too. Now that shes knows what's happened to her, is there any way that she could be cured or is ricin death-guaranteed?

Possible shrapnel rather than being hit with a bullet is my assumption regarding him getting hit by a bullet.

And from a very quick Google ricin poisoning doesn't have a known cure yet so she's going to have a slow nasty death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

Maybe Walt died on the 8 mile walk to the bar, and the rest was just his fever dream...

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

And your point being?

Felina had precious little to do with Breaking Bad but everything with keeping the happy-clappers cheerful.

Walter got it all his way without feeling the pain of loss: the family is provided for, his mentee Jesse learned a valuable lesson for life, he rid Marie of that short baldy caricature of a husband (whom he couldn't stand) and he died on his own terms - peacefully bleeding out on a blue crystal meth trip - cheating the cancer that made him cough.

The message was pretty clear: as long as they leave their ill-gotten profits to the family and save a few souls on their way out, even the baddest motherf***er can be redeemed. Now all hail the King.
    Walt felt the pain of loss and being alone for 2/3 months in New Hampshire, resorting to paying an almost-stranger $10,000 to stay with him for an hour. A desperate phone call to his son who hated him, coupled with a stark realisation from the interview of Elliot and Gretchen made him realised he was at the end of the line. Felina dealt with the actions of a man who truly had nothing to lose, where money didn't matter, with no family around him, on the verge of either death through his cancer or being caught by the cops.

Got to watch this on lunch :) . Thought it was a brilliant ending to a brilliant show. So Fellina was taken from the the Marty Robbins song El Paso I called that and also said that Gretchen & Elliot would have something to do with getting the money to his family with a lot of people here saying they wouldn't be in this episode, just saying! :D The hut scene was a bit far fetched but I'm glad at how Todd & Jack will killed, Lydia too she got what she deserved. My favorite part was the ending with Walt in the lab, he died where he "lived" .

Hail the king!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Just finished the finale. It had some very good moments (Walt watching Walt Jr through the glass, the scene with the sniper lasers, the tense moments leading up to the shooting at the end and the manic strangling of Todd)

It wasn't the best finale to a series I've ever seen but it was certainly a good one (Six Feet Under is still the pick of the series endings)

Overall I thought Breaking Bad was a great show and she gets into my top five

1 The Wire
    2 Oz
    3 Six Feet Under
    4 Breaking Bad
    5 The West wing

Will be interesting to see what Vince does next. Also, an absolute travesty that Cranston was overlooked for that Emmy, especially given how awfully contrived the newsroom is

I'm fairly sure the recent Emmys were only counting the first half of season 5. Breaking Bad will win everything next year

What if Walt hadn't been hit by the bullet?
    johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Possible shrapnel rather than being hit with a bullet is my assumption regarding him getting hit by a bullet.

And from a very quick Google ricin poisoning doesn't have a known cure yet so she's going to have a slow nasty death.

His was hit with a bullet that ricocheted off something! (Just after one of the bullets hits the thing with the 10 on it)

coconut5 wrote: »
    Last week's episode where Walt is paying a man to spend an hour with him was heartbreaking

Being holed up in a secluded hunting cabin with nothing but 3 DVDs of Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium can be a bit of a drag alright, but heartbreaking? I'd rather reserve this term for Walter White's victims.
    coconut5 wrote: »
    an ending where everybody dies or something similar would have been really disappointing.

It would have been honest to the theme of the series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Grimebox wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure the recent Emmys were only counting the first half of season 5. Breaking Bad will win everything next year

Yeah because its split over two years its eligible for awards next year aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

TheBza wrote: »
    No Sopranos or Boardwalk Empire?

Sopranos probably 6 or 7 but I found BE way too hammy and gave up after season 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

A scene that went under the radar in this episode IMO, but one of my favourites of the series. Jesse was always seen as being somewhat useless by Walt, someone who lacked passion or commitment. It offers some hope of what can become of Jesse after his ordeal, that he has skills away from making meth and can commit himself to something - despite what Walt had told him all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Being holed up in a secluded hunting cabin with nothing but 3 DVDs of Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium can be a bit of a drag alright, but heartbreaking? I'd rather reserve this term for Walter White's victims.

It would have been honest to the theme of the series.

Yo Let it go!....bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

That was beautifully shot, but I couldn't for the life of me remember what it meant when watching.

Didn't catch anyone else post this, so apologies if i missed it, but Jesse talked a bit about it in an earlier episode.
    "I took this vo-tech class in high school, woodworking. I took a lot of vo-tech classes, because it was just big jerk-off, but this one time I had this teacher by the name of... Mr... Mr. Pike. I guess he was like a Marine or something before he got old. He was hard hearing. My project for his class was to make this wooden box. You know, like a small, just like a... like a box, you know, to put stuff in. So I wanted to get the thing done as fast as possible. I figured I could cut classes for the rest of the semester and he couldn't flunk me as long as I, you know, made the thing. So I finished it in a couple days. And it looked pretty lame, but it worked. You know, for putting in or whatnot. So when I showed it to Mr. Pike for my grade, he looked at it and said: "Is that the best you can do?" At first I thought to myself "Hell yeah, bitch. Now give me a D and shut up so I can go blaze one with my boys." I don't know. Maybe it was the way he said it, but... it was like he wasn't exactly saying it sucked. He was just asking me honestly, "Is that all you got?" And for some reason, I thought to myself: "Yeah, man, I can do better." So I started from scratch. I made another, then another. And by the end of the semester, by like box number five, I had built this thing. You should have seen it. It was insane. I mean, I built it out of Peruvian walnut with inlaid zebrawood. It was fitted with pegas, no screws. I sanded it for days, until it was smooth as glass. Then I rubbed all the wood with tung oil so it was rich and dark. It even smelled good. You know, you put nose in it and breathed in, it was... it was perfect."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Excellent ending, very happy with how it turned out.
    Eh? That didn't happen.

Walt didn't rid Marie of her husband either, Jack killed Hank.
    Imagine, America's most wanted is coming home and the cops don't bother with surveillance of the family.
    There was surveillance, you can see two guys in the car watching Junior arrive home.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

ken wrote: »

I'd imagine if it runs for long enough the end of BCS will be Walt/Jesse meeting Saul for the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Walter got it all his way without feeling the pain of loss:

He spent the last 3-4 months in a wooden shack having lost his family and his brother in law being killed. He had lost everything except some of his money which he couldn't even get to his family. He already felt the pain of loss.
    the family is provided for,

The family who all but hates him. And we saw in previous seasons that he wanted them to know the money came from him. Now he doesn't even get that.
    his mentee Jesse learned a valuable lesson for life

That's just being flippant for the sake of it. If you boil Jesse's arc through the show as him "learning a valuable lesson for life", you've been watching the wrong show.
    he rid Marie of that short baldy caricature of a husband (whom he couldn't stand)

Again, watching the wrong show. Walt loved Hank. He called off Jack when he realised Hank was there because he didn't want Hank to be hurt. Then he was willing to give up all his money to save Hank's life. They were at odds because of the law, but Walt did not want Hank to die.
    and he died on his own terms - peacefully bleeding out on a blue crystal meth trip - cheating the cancer that made him cough.

He didn't take any meth. Being in the lab for what he knew would be his final few moments simply just made him happy. He died from a gunshot wound he got saving Jesse's life (he wanted Jesse dead when he thought Jesse was working with the Nazis, but when he saw what they were doing to him, he tried to save Jesse, taking a bullet for him in the process)

Walt is a genius. We've pretty much known this since very early into the show. Every season we've seen him come up with plan after plan. Not always working perfectly and sometimes causing unforeseeable trouble, but the man is a genius. It's not a stretch that he'd be able to come up with some sort of plan to help his family and get his revenge. Maybe he redeemed himself a bit, but he could never make right a lot of the stuff he'd done. He simply did what he could with the time he had left, and sacrificed his own life doing so. It wasn't about redeeming himself though, it was about making right the wrongs he caused.

I wouldn't call this a happy ending for Walt. Too much damage was done that Walt could ever put right. It was bittersweet at best. He was able to leave a lot of money to his family, saved Jesse and rid the place of the Nazi's and his meth. But he ultimately died being hated by all he loved, having spent the last few months of his life alone. He had to pay someone $10,000 just for an hour of their company.

I don't think Vince Gilligan et al were trying to serve up a happy ending where everything works out okay, and I don't think they did do that. What they did, was give us an ending which best suited the story and characters they've been working on for 6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

tumblr_mtxxulQ9qC1rmequvo1_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Just finished it. Avoided this forum like the plague for fear of spoilers as i made my way through the show. Up there with one of the best alright. It all came together brilliantly in the end.

Eh? That didn't happen.

Walter called in the Nazi support against Hank, Gomie and Jesse, did he not?
    There was surveillance, you can see two guys in the car watching Junior arrive home.

Two guys? Hardly proper surveillance.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Not quite:

qEZ5U7x.jpg

You are missing my point/question...
    that's not what was in the car when then gave us a taster way back at the start of the last series

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

He called the Nazis off when Hank and Gomie arrived, but they came anyway. Walt tried everything he could to stop Jack killing Hank, including offering up his $90m.
    Two guys? Hardly proper surveillance.

What's proper? Three guys? Four guys? The whole police force?

He called them when he thought it was just Jesse. When he saw Hank, he explicitly told Jack not to come, and surrendered himself to Hank. He never wanted Hank dead. He was willing to trade all of his money to save Hank's life. He was begging for Hank's life even though Hank wasn't.

that's not what was in the car when then gave us a taster way back at the start of the last series

That was exactly what was in the car.

vF8r4C4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

It's an M60 then, just as much as it is in the finale.
    That's why everyone on here has been referring to it as an M60

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

[-0-] wrote: »
    Live Free or Die is our state's motto. It's on all of the license plates here. I was a bit freaked when I first moved to NH. Heh.

I know yeah, I liked the touch of the close up and dwelling on it for a few seconds so it could be read. No coincidence I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

Yes it was

800px-5x1_M60.png

Penn wrote: »
    He called them when he thought it was just Jesse. When he saw Hank, he explicitly told Jack not to come, and surrendered himself to Hank. He never wanted Hank dead. He was willing to trade all of his money to save Hank's life. He was begging for Hank's life even though Hank wasn't.

Right, this was indeed a flippant interpretation of the events, however, there was no love lost between Walter and Hank.

Not quite:

qEZ5U7x.jpg

Sort of unrealistic that these bullets would go through a wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

glasso wrote: »

It was basically a prefabricated building was it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

It would easily have gone through the wall, and a few walls behind that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

A well hit golf ball would have gone through that wall.

Right, this was indeed a flippant interpretation of the events, however, there was no love lost between Walter and Hank.

Hank may have hated Walt because of how Walt had betrayed him and caused most of the problems in Hank's life over the past year, but Walt had already flat out refused to have Hank killed. His "confession" tape implicating Hank was to get Hank to back off and drop it without Walt having to do something that would really hurt Hank. Walt then told Jack not to come when he realised Hank was there as he knew Hank would get hurt (though Jack came anyway). He tried to give up his money to save Hank and pleaded for Hank's life. Regardless of what went on after Hank found out Walt was Heisenberg, Walt never wanted Hank to be hurt or killed. You could even see the pain on his face when he was on the phone to Skyler and he was asked about Hank.

There is absolutely nothing to support the idea that Walt wanted Hank dead, and plenty of evidence to support the opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I liked the shot of the Nazi on the vibrating massage chair (or whatever it was) that kept shifting his body around after the dust settled. It was creepy yet kind of funny, just like BB itself.

It would easily have gone through the wall, and a few walls behind that.

The bullets are only 7.6 mm Nato rounds - not that powerful

It was likely just a timber frame unit with external plaster. For a place like New Mexico and for what was essentially just a clubhouse, that'd be all they'd need.

• Advertisement
Advertisement