Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 5, Episode 16: Felina

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭doozer16

I'll definitely agree that it was predictable. There wasn't any big shocker moments, that doesn't mean it was bad though. I think it was an enjoyable episode that tied everything up nicely, and thats what I want in a finale.

What do you want that for? Surely it's about suspense, shocks and thrills. Any bum could have wrote that last episode, I called it after Ozymandias, that was the real ending, everything after that was just MEH bar the ending of Granite State, that was pretty cool.
    It left you with nothing in the end, Jesse lives happily ever after - Boring
    Family get the money - Boring
    All the bad guys get it - Boring
    And he dies from a stray bullet (Not Jesse, not his wife ratting him out, not the bad guys getting him) Boring sell out material of the highest order, the more I think about it the more annoyed I get. It was a great show for shocks and finished with a big fat zero.
    At least the Sopranos built up the suspense and true to it's style left you literally suspended!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭doozer16

The spin-off is a prequel to Breaking Bad

Really? I just heard there was a spin off nothing more.
    Makes sense, I presume it will be 30 min sitcom style? Can't see it working although I do love the character/actor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Just finished watching the last episode and reading through this thread.

Thanks everyone, it really has been something. These threads have really been fantastic too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

I enjoyed it, but like several people have said it was fairly predictable and the show definitely peaked with Ozymandias.

It's hard to pin down exactly what was missing, but overall everything went a little too prefect I think. Put it this way, I don't think I will find myself day dreaming i na few weeks about Breaking Bad, certainly not the about the finale anyway.

The Sopranos ending stayed with me for months, it still does. I don't think BB will have that legacy. In saying that it's obviously a double edged sword and a hypocritical viewpoint because of course I would love to have an epilogue to The Sopranos explaining exactly what happend. Can't have you cake etc etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

doozer16 wrote: »
    Really? I just heard there was a spin off nothing more.
    Makes sense, I presume it will be 30 min sitcom style? Can't see it working although I do love the character/actor.

Mike making a cameo would be great, even a really brief one.

He could conceivably have a big part in the show, although I suppose it depends how much the producers want to connect it to BB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

What do you want that for? Surely it's about suspense, shocks and thrills. Any bum could have wrote that last episode, I called it after Ozymandias, that was the real ending, everything after that was just MEH bar the ending of Granite State, that was pretty cool.
    It left you with nothing in the end, Jesse lives happily ever after - Boring
    Family get the money - Boring
    All the bad guys get it - Boring
    And he dies from a stray bullet (Not Jesse, not his wife ratting him out, not the bad guys getting him) Boring sell out material of the highest order, the more I think about it the more annoyed I get. It was a great show for shocks and finished with a big fat zero.
    At least the Sopranos built up the suspense and true to it's style left you literally suspended!

Good writing doesn't have to always be shocking and unexpected.
    Some shows put stuff like that in just for the sake of it and it turns out badly.
    And I think them killing of Jesse would be exactly that, killing him off just for the sake of it to try and jerk some tears and get some gasps.

Would you have rathered if both Walt and Jesse died, half the bad guys lived and the family didn't get the money? Nobody would, that would be a anti-climatic ending to a build up over 5 seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Jamez735 wrote: »
    VCv9TxS.gif
    The actual gif is way better, have a look http://i.imgur.com/VCv9TxS.gif
    ha! classic.
    I knew as soon as I saw this on reddit something like this would happen.
    Whoever made the gif turned auto-loop off. (kinda fitting?)
    You pasted the exact same link as the image quoted! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

That was just perfect imo, everything that I'd wished would happen did.

Jesse got out alive, Todd and Lydia both got the endings they deserved, we got to see Badger and Skinny Pete again and it wasn't the cops or cancer that got Walt, just perfect :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

Just finished watching the last episode and reading through this thread.

Thanks everyone, it really has been something. These threads have really been fantastic too.

the threads have been a bloody blessing! saves me annoying the sh1te out of everyone talking about bb constantly :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Maybe I'm being harsh but I definately feel left down, maybe I'm just disappointed that it's over but to sum up the last episode in one word - PREDICTABLE

Gaaargh! This word predictable!

In a game of chess, there's only so many moves you can make to get to checkmate.
    So many theories for the finale have been floating about, it's inevitable the ending would be one or more of them. Honestly, how many more twists and turns could this series realistically take?

I guess you can never please everyone, but my hat goes off to Vince Gilligan for making an outstanding piece of television and for me personally, I couldn't imagine a more fitting end for the characters he created.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

I love how people confuse "I didn't like it" with "It was sh*te/bad". Anyone who actually thought that was sh*te is completely detached from reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

the threads have been a bloody blessing! saves me annoying the sh1te out of everyone talking about bb constantly :P

Hehehehh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

Best thing on tumblr today was some kid asking why is everyone talking about Breaking Bad, and someone's response was:
    It's a nerd show.

Brilliant!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

I need to watch it again without all those ad breaks but I think it needed a much darker ending.

My thoughts on first viewing:

There was no need for the Grey Matter duo, giving them the money felt forced.

Skyler and the kids should have been murdered by the Nazis, Walt is left with nothing to lose and all to avenge.

Ridiculous A Team gun aside (Walt seems to be the fastest learner of how an M60 gun works ever) it was the only option the writers had left themselves for killing the Nazis. So as silly as it is lets say the bad guys go out that way and we still have Walt and Jesse at the end, Jesse refuses to kill Mr White because he realises that was part of his problem, taking orders from Heisenberg.

Walt tells Jesse where his money is stashed, Jesse speeds off into the sunset and Walt dies in the lab, a completely broken man because his family were killed by Jack & Co.

Vince Giligan: "Its like Walt says 'everybody dies in this movie"

well too many people lived for my liking Vince. It almost feels like the AMC executives got involved with the ending, it will leak out eventually if they did.

Over a third of IMDB users have awarded this episode a one out of ten http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2301455/ratings?ref_=tt_ov_rt

Thats a bit harsh, it was (on first viewing) a 5, which isnt good enough for a 10/10 show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I'm happy the ending not sure what all the bitching is about! Think people got caught up in the hype! I think it was a slow burn to the end in the last two episodes, and that's fine by me. Glad Walt did right by Jessie, and that Jessie got to kill Todd(Meth Damon) and Lydia got her ricen Tea! (She looked dog rough in the bed)! It kind of Felt from the beginning that Walt was dead already and he was appearing out of nowhere throughout the episode. So well done Vince Gilligan, thank you for the fantastic show! The pressure will be on him to follow up with something near as good as Breaking Bad was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

THAT'S HOW YOU ****ING DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,268 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

IvaBigWun wrote: »

Over a third of IMDB users have awarded this episode a one out of ten http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2301455/ratings?ref_=tt_ov_rt

What?

36 votes - 0.4% - 1

That's far from a third! :pac:

Skyler and the kids should have been murdered by the Nazis, Walt is left with nothing to lose and all to avenge.

He already had nothing to lose, and he already wanted to avenge Hanks death.
    The nazis had no reason to go kill Skyler and the kids, Walt and Frank left each other on peaceful terms.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    What?

36 votes - 0.4% - 1

That's far from a third :pac:

I was going to do a ninja edit on that, but I'll just own up and admit I made a balls of reading it.

I thought it said 36% :o

Based on first viewing I stand by everything else Ive said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Yes it was predictable in a way but that's been the direction of BB since the start. We all knew that Walt was going to end dead, we knew that a life of crime would end bad for Jessie and we knew that the only good end would be some king of redemption for Walt in a Pyrrhic victory.
    They resolved the main plot points and resolved the relationships as best they could have been resolved. Walt and Skylar parted on regretful terms, Skylar and Marie seem to be on the way back to some king of relationship. Walt and Jessie ended as equals with Walt letting go of Jessie.
    The only relationship that was left dead was Walt and Walt Jr. Even Walts irritation at the Schwartzs success was resolved.

And I liked the way it came together, like a good plot should, no deus ex machina. All the parts were their all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

I was going to do a ninja edit on that, but I'll just own up and admit I made a balls of reading it.

I thought it said 36% :o

I did think holy fcuk, how could this have changed so dramatically from earlier on :pac: :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,268 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

But what you said more or less is what happened. The only difference is Skyler and the kids survived?

I really liked that scene between Skyler and Walt. Although I quite enjoy those 'I hate you, you absolute bastard, but we've been through so much that I can't help but still feel some odd kind of attachment/emotion towards you' scenes in shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I need to watch it again without all those ad breaks but I think it needed a much darker ending.

Vince Giligan: "Its like Walt says 'everybody dies in this movie"

well too many people lived for my liking Vince. It almost feels like the AMC executives got involved with the ending, it will leak out eventually if they did.

How would everyone dying make the ending any better though?

In the last three episodes alone, we saw Hank, Gomie, Andrea, Todd, Lydia, all the neo nazi's and Walt book a one way ticket to Belize. Just how large a body count do you need!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

There was no need for the Grey Matter duo, giving them the money felt forced.

I completely disagree. This was the best part of the whole episode imo. I didn't think they would feature in the episode at all. It was a flawless plan to get the money to his son who would refuse it otherwise. A real Heisenberg plan with the intimidation violence being a critical part of it. It also changes the final scene in the 2nd last episode. He wasn't fired up by seeing Grey Matter dismiss him as nothing, he was fired up by realising how to launder the money. Once this was done, Walt could die happy. It freed him. The laser pointer/fake snipers was brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭m0ynihan

Does anyone else remember Brock or is it just me? Shouldn't we have got some idea of what happened to him after Andrea was killed? The ending was solid enough though, but there were a few poor enough parts imo, that ridiculous gun for example (I know it was necessary but still). I'd give it a seven out of ten, probably the poorest of this half of the series though. That song at the end was absolutely brutal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Shout Dust

Walt isn't definitely dead is he? He looked alive when the police got to him, although with not much left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

m0ynihan wrote: »
    That song at the end was absolutely brutal!

But that was Badfinger
    This was the end of Breaking Bad.
    The French for "End" is "Fin".
    Take the "fin" out of Badfinger and you're left with...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Your expectations were too high.

On the contrary, a TV show scoring 9.4 on IMDB deserves a better ending than the f***ing Waltons (Sorry, John-Boy).

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭plannerscanner

Turpentine wrote: »

Skylar on the phone with Walt behind the pillar the whole time was great.

Loved the camera angle on that scene - then thought why is it zooming in along the pine wall - I should have known better than to question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

The reason I and also a lot of other people loved breaking bad so much was due to it's unpredictable nature, everything we thought would happen, didn't! I thought the end was predictable enough, Walt kills the Nazis, frees Jessie, poisons Lydia. Still a brilliant show though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I loved it I have to say, but then again, I was going into the finale wanting a major reprieve from the darkness. It really did not interest me to see any more misery put upon Jesse, Skyler, Walt jr, Marie etc.

I do think it was the perfect goodbye coming from that perspective and I don't think I've gotten any more satisfaction in a complete sense from any other TV finale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

justshane wrote: »
    The reason I and also a lot of other people loved breaking bad so much was due to it's unpredictable nature, everything we thought would happen, didn't! I thought the end was predictable enough, Walt kills the Nazis, frees Jessie, poisons Lydia. Still a brilliant show though.

Yeah but as previously mentioned, there's no point in killing off someone just to get a few gasps. The ending was the ending that satisfied the most people... either way you were going to have some that didn't like it. It was predictable, but I'm glad it went down the way it did, Walt won. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Eamo71 wrote: »
    no they're not. Heisenberg is an identity a character that Walt plays - a part that consumed him.

Heisenberg is just a name he gave himself, to separate his illegal activities from his family.
    He tells Skyler that he did it for himself, he liked it, and he was good at it.
    He doesn't say it was Heisenberg

• Advertisement

Anyone who actually thought that was sh*te is completely detached from reality.

Detached from Reality? Sure. I'll give you some "reality": make no mistake, a real crime boss of Jack Welker's caliber would have put a bullet into Walter's head, buried him and Jesse with Hank and Gomie and be done with it. Take the 80 million and call it quits. Of course that would have been too easy, so the writers chose to ridicule the show and turned them into "good" Nazis who spared the lives of Walter, Marie, Skyler, Baby Holly and Jesse. And that ungrateful Walter White came after them with a remote controlled machine gun for no good reason. This was the essence of the final two episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Fanny Biscuit

I can't believe i only started watching this 4 weeks ago. Great show and a great ending. I loved the unpredictability of each episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

justshane wrote: »

So what?

People have been coming up with ideas on how the show will end since the first season!

There was no new ground to cover, no matter what the ending was it was always going to be predictable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

All the predictions appeared online and the most popular came true tonight.

Note to self: Dont get too excised about a finale again

That was ... lacking :(
    Do you mean that note to yourself is "don't get excited and start looking up predictions?" -it should be, really glad I didn't look any up or even spend much time trying to think of any myself. Lots of things happening were "aha, of course" if I saw all the predictions, or tried myself, it would have been like a checklist of yes/no.
    Zyzz wrote: »
    Cranston takes home 225k per episode..jesus..
    Thought he would have been on more. Sure Ted Danson was said to be getting $500,000 per episode of cheers, and that was in the 80's. Wiki says Kelsey Grammer was getting 700k per episode in 2001 for fraiser.
    There was also a glaring mistake 2 episodes ago where Todd tells L that the Meth is 92% then ten minutes later he's telling someone else that it's 96% (Maybe there's a reason for that, I don't know)
    I think only Walt was able to get it to 96%. I think when Jesse did his first cook with the columbians he got 92%, and I think he thought they were going to be disappointed he didn't get more, IIRC he sort of looked worried but they were all celebrating. So I was still unsure if anybody other than Walt got 96%.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Great way to end the show and I imagine everyone has gone through the positives.

I'm not going to lie, I came very close to some man tears twice. When Walt goes to see Holly and when Jesse has the gun pointed at Walt. Found both of those scenes to be really emotional.

The one real negative I had with the finale was the choice of song to end it on. I can see what they were trying to do but I felt the song completely took away from the death of Walt.

Still, absolutely loved the show and it'll definitely be re watched some time down the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Just finished it now and it was a....satisfying finale. It certainly wasnt a bad finale but my expectations were through the roof for an all guns blazing, twist and turn filled finale, especially after the previous 2 episodes, but Gilligan stuck to his trademark slow burner thats been so obvious with BB. I dont think anything could have lived up to the fans' expectations so when I take a good look back at this it was actually a very good finale. Not the best it could have been and not wiithout flaws but still as satisfying as you could hope for.

Lydia died, Walt got revenge on the Nazis and Jessie finally got free, as well as refusing to give Walt an easy way out by killing him, he got a final meeting with Skyler ans also got even with the Ellliots. But, this opening scene with the Elliots went on a tad too long than they had time for, and not once did Walt mention how they screwed him over and how much they ruined his life. He was too busy securing Walt Jrs future though (surely the family would suss this was Walt?". Overall I found the final fight with the Nazis very satisfying and that bastard Todd needed to die and painfully. The very last scene I think would have worked better without the music.

Recent episodes have been guilty of using a creepy old fashioned song to hammer home the point (Ep 14 when rolling his money through the desert- yeah yeah we get it he has lost everything), it wasnt needed at the final frame- here was Walt, in his dying moments, surrounded by his true love- Chemistry. He could have just gently slid to his death without the need for a big hold-your-hand background song which emphasizes the moment- total silence bar the sirens would have been far more effective.

Still, a very solid 8 out of 10 finale and one which will get better with repeated viewings I suspect.

P.S Did anyone find Gretchens scream when she finally spotted Walt very fake and rehearsed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

She was a single mother of a young daughter Kiira Rodarte-Quayle and now that child is orphaned by Mr White
    http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Kiira_Rodarte-Quayle

250px-Kiira.png

Why are we blaming Walter White? She got involved in the meth trade. She ordered Walter Whites murder. She came out on the wrong side. F*ck her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Yes and Lydia would have been happy enough to see Holly and Walt Jr. left orphaned when she wanted Todd to kill their mother.

Couldn't have put it better myself

o1s1n wrote: »
    But what you said more or less is what happened. The only difference is Skyler and the kids survived?

No.

Grey Matter coming back felt contrived, if you're going to bring them back then it should have been a huge twist on the company's background and why Walt left.

Walt still died a happy man and there's no way thats how Gilligan originally conceived his finale.

It wasnt a disaster of a finale along the lines of Prison Break, Dexter and Lost, its not even close. But it did need to be darker and it needed a jaw dropping twist or moment we'll always remember. Alas it didnt come

Torqay wrote: »
    Detached from Reality? Sure. I'll give you some "reality": make no mistake, a real crime boss of Jack Welker's caliber would have put a bullet into Walter's head, buried him and Jesse with Hank and Gomie and be done with it. Take the 80 million and call it quits. Of course that would have been too easy, so the writers chose to ridicule the show and turned them into "good" Nazis who spared the lives of Walter, Marie, Skyler, Baby Holly and Jesse. And that ungrateful Walter White came after them with a remote controlled machine gun for no good reason. This was the essence of the final two episodes.

How exactly do you know what a real crime boss would do? Its not exactly a one size fits all type of role is it?

Jack respected Walt enough not to kill him, and he knew that Todd respected him a lot too so Todd specifically asked Jack to let him live and have a barrel of money. They left on peaceful terms, Jack had no reason to kill Walt's family after that. I don't know why people keep going on about that. Jack didn't consider Walt a threat when he left him in the desert, and he hadn't seen him in a few months so why would he randomly go kill Skylar, and the kids?

Did the nazis even meet Marie? Why on earth would they kill her.

I think you're taking the nazi term too literal here, and are trying to imagine the gang as some type of genocidal army. They're just thugs really, the nazi thing is just to spice it up a little.

Are you also forgetting they killed Hank and Gomie and kept Jesse hostage as a slave for a couple of months? That's reason enough for Walt to "go after them".

How exactly do you know what a real crime boss would do?

Oh please, Uncle Jack realised they had just "won the lottery". If you were in his place would you have sent the guy you just robbed on his merry way with 11 million dollar and let him plot revenge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Actually orphans are a common theme in BB. In the end we have 3 small kids orphaned (4 if you count Flynn). Jessie had issues with the loss of a grandparent, so had some of the others. Gilligan was playing on the family theme big time with this show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Shout Dust wrote: »
    Walt isn't definitely dead is he? He looked alive when the police got to him, although with not much left

Ah let it go lad, it's the end....face up to it...

Great show, missing it already. Cast were great.

Torqay wrote: »
    Oh please, Uncle Jack realised they had just "won the lottery". If you were in his place would you have sent the guy you just robbed on his merry way with 11 million dollar and let him plot revenge?

When you've got an ego like Jack and a gang like his then yes.

I'm not sure if you remember, but there was a specific moment in 5x11 when Todd goes up to Jack and asks him to let him go and give him some money, and Jack says something along the lines of Todd wouldn't forgive him if he didn't, that he respects Walt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

mad m wrote: »
    Ah let it go lad, it's the end....face up to it...

Great show, missing it already. Cast were great.

here here. It gave us a lot of enjoyment over the years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement