Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 5, Episode 16: Felina

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Shout Dust

mad m wrote: »
    Ah let it go lad, it's the end....face up to it...

Great show, missing it already. Cast were great.

I'm not saying I want him to come back or anything for another series, just I didn't think he was definitely dead, he's finished either way between the cancer, blood and police.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

This Is What Everyone Is Writing About Breaking Bad Today http://www.vulture.com/2013/09/what-everyone-is-writing-about-breaking-bad.html?mid=imdb

* "After so many crimes, "Felina" was surprisingly easy on Walt, and I suspect the show's ultimate moral message will be a source of debate and controversy as critics and fan continue to hash out Breaking Bad's legacy in the years to come. ("The whole thing felt kind of shady, like, morality-wise," said Skinny Pete, in a quote that could easily serve as an epigram for "Felina.") It was undeniably rousing to see Walt achieve that last victory, but it lacked the bravery of an episode like "Granite State," which might have offered a more fitting end for our antihero: Dying alone, next to a pile of useless money, thousands of miles away from anyone and anything he ever loved." — Scott Meslow, The Week

--

if people think he got off lightly, it continues the feeling of confusion of how much we hate or like this guy, and thats what the whole shows was about it, so it continues, maybe the perfect ending for the tv show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭ooter

How long does it take for the ricin to kick in,is Lydia dead yet? :-)
    Todd's ringtone was creepy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

I don't understand the criticism of it. It's not the news...it's a TV show. And the most well written TV show that there has ever been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

]
    ooter wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

I have to say, upon a second viewing I enjoyed it ten times more. If others were disappointed with their initial viewing I'd strongly recommend having a browse online for examples of mirroring, foreshadowing and character changes/development... yknow, the easter egg type things, and then watching it again.

It made me appreciate it a hell of a lot more. 100% satisfied with it now. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,268 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    No.

Grey Matter coming back felt contrived, if you're going to bring them back then it should have been a huge twist on the company's background and why Walt left.

Walt still died a happy man and there's no way thats how Gilligan originally conceived his finale.

I wasnt a disaster of a finale along the lines of Prison Break, Dexter and Lost, its not even close. But it did need to be darker and it needed a jaw dropping twist or moment we'll always remember. Alas it didnt come

I felt it quite a relief to be honest. The show had so many twists and turns throughout that I felt another big twist would in itself have been contrived.

For once, I'm actually glad it played out straight. Sure, the M60 part was a bit gun ho, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't cheering Walt on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Walt still died a happy man and there's no way thats how Gilligan originally conceived his finale.

To say Walt died a happy man would be a slight exaggeration. He won the last battle alright which is nice for him but in the process his family hates him and he got Hank killed and he even lost the majority of money he made.
    I wasnt a disaster of a finale along the lines of Prison Break, Dexter and Lost, its not even close. But it did need to be darker and it needed a jaw dropping twist or moment we'll always remember. Alas it didnt come

You take that back. If you didn't like Lost that's fine but the finale was absolutely perfect! Now.. back to Breaking Bad :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Wasnt Walt taking a MASSIVE risk interrupting Todd and Lydia before Lydia had to chance to add the ricin to her tea. She could have easily stormed out of the cafe in a huff (and very nearly did) and Walt would have forever lost the chance to wipe out the remaining threat to his family. Thought that was really stupid, it would have made much more sense to allow the meeting to go as planned then storm in with his ideas, at least that way if he couldnt convince Lydia he could have strong-armed Todd into a meeting with his Uncle. Walt was very lucky!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

When you've got an ego like Jack and a gang like his then yes.

But then we see them kill Andrea and yet they've spared Skyler who posed a real threat to Lydia and their meth operation. They have recovered the tape without killing Marie. If they have been aw so good to Walter, why should he come back for "revenge"?

And how does Walter "saving" Jesse and taking a bullet for him fit with leaving him to be tortured by the Nazis after this spiteful utterance "I watched Jane die"? Walter White never was a hero and Heisenberg could not have cared less, so who was this guy? We were effectively presented with a third character in the last 2 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Was bugging me for ages where i heard the song before...finally clicked... great film!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Basq wrote: »

He's a stand comic. A pretty decent one at that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Torqay wrote: »
    And how does Walter "saving" Jesse and taking a bullet for him fit with leaving him to be tortured by the Nazis after this spiteful utterance "I watched Jane die"? Walter White never was a hero and Heisenberg could not have cared less, so who was this guy? We were effectively presented with a third character in the last 2 episodes.

He was a guy with nothing left to lose. No family, no empire, no money and terminal cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

But then we see them kill Andrea and yet they've spared Skyler who posed a real threat to Lydia and their meth operation. They have recovered the tape without killing Marie. If they have been aw so good to Walter, why should he come back for "revenge"?

Killing Andrea was a message to Jesse to never mess with them and they only did it when he tried to escape.

There is a big difference between making a statement to Jesse who they control and further pissing off Walt who they have no control over.

NicoleL88 wrote: »
    I think I was annoyed that I didn't cry at the episode. But my friend just sent me this in an email saying "Jesse is finally in control of where his life goes" and I burst into tears. I think I need to get more sleep :\

e2C13Wo.png

The snaky rat bitches are always the ones that get away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I saddled up and away I did go,
    Riding alone in the dark.
    Maybe tomorrow
    A bullet may find me.
    Tonight nothing's worse than this
    Pain in my heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Take a look at this:
    http://i.imgur.com/Denf1oW.jpg

You're seeing Walt as a very 2 dimensional character when that certainly wasn't the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Big up to Gilligan too for all the laughs provided:

Walt putting the shits up Gretchen and Eliot.

Skinny Pete and Badger aka the two most dangerous hitmen in America.

Jesse's tears of joy for once!

Walt's phone call to Lydia aaaaand.....

Todd's "Lydia" ring tone. The big ****ing child like psycho. :pac:

Zyzz wrote: »
    Cranston takes home 225k per episode..jesus..

Who'd begrudge him?

• Advertisement

Sopranos probably 6 or 7 but I found BE way too hammy and gave up after season 2

Boardwalk Empire is brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Anyone else love stumbling across things like this?

NlUcUCY.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

Who'd begrudge him?

The stars of The Big Bang Theory are looking for $1m each per episode for the next season and they have 24 episodes per season! $225k seems comparatively reasonable :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Todd seemed to be heading the 'scare Skylar into staying quiet' operation, although Lydia wasn't happy with it, probably out of respect for Walt. We don't know that much about Uncle Jack's gang but it sounds like they kill out of business/survival generally. (Take out Lydia's last crew, we take over the meth operation; DEA agents will oust them if they live, leaving Walt with some money and making him shake his hand). I reckon killing Andrea was a means to an end; we need Jesse to cook/not escape, he disobeyed and he needs to be punished.

Walt's still a bad guy, but upon seeing a tortured/enslaved Jesse (a fate worse than death) he instinctively saved him. I think he admitted to letting Jane die just out of spite; as in his own mind, twisted logic that Jesse was responsible for Hank's death. I think Walt/Heisenberg's irredeemably bad but took a few steps towards goodness at the end.

That's my taking from it anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Dman001 wrote: »
    A scene that went under the radar in this episode IMO, but one of my favourites of the series. Jesse was always seen as being somewhat useless by Walt, someone who lacked passion or commitment. It offers some hope of what can become of Jesse after his ordeal, that he has skills away from making meth and can commit himself to something - despite what Walt had told him all along.

Jesse has been a loser for the entire duration of this series. It was clear that he was a loser during his younger years to he point that his own family wrote him off.

I see nothing in this ending that suggests his life as a loser wouldn't have continued

Shout Dust wrote: »
    I'm not saying I want him to come back or anything for another series, just I didn't think he was definitely dead, he's finished either way between the cancer, blood and police.

I think at the end when the police came in, they didn't even check his pulse, they must've been sure he'd expired by then (so we're to believe that)
    ooter wrote: »

I thought that too, but I read ricin has no cure, even if she did rush to a hospital and tell doctors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Finally got to watch it. Had great intentions to get up early this morning, but that never happened.

It was a satisfying finale - everything ended quite naturally, even if it wasn't the most exciting episode. Walt shooting Jack instead of hearing him out over the money was a nice end to his character development. Jesse killing Todd was a fist-pumping 'GO JESSE!' moment of awesome.

The scene with Gretchen and Elliott was hilarious in retrospect, when you picture Badger and Skinny Pete standing outside. The end of Skyler's phone call with Marie was perfect. I was not expecting Walt to be in the house already. Him saying goodbye to Holly was heartbreaking.

My only complaint is that it wasn't longer. Quickest 53 minutes of my life.

Wasnt Walt taking a MASSIVE risk interrupting Todd and Lydia before Lydia had to chance to add the ricin to her tea. She could have easily stormed out of the cafe in a huff (and very nearly did) and Walt would have forever lost the chance to wipe out the remaining threat to his family. Thought that was really stupid, it would have made much more sense to allow the meeting to go as planned then storm in with his ideas, at least that way if he couldnt convince Lydia he could have strong-armed Todd into a meeting with his Uncle. Walt was very lucky!

I assumed he added the ricin to the sweetener on the table before Lydia added it to her tea; it was the only packet in the condiment punnet. It did work out very well for Walt though, imagine if she sat at another table!
    closifer wrote: »
    The stars of The Big Bang Theory are looking for $1m each per episode for the next season and they have 24 episodes per season! $225k seems comparatively reasonable :)

I really hope the actors/writers etc got some kind of back end in home video/itunes etc sales!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Really enjoyed the last episode, tied things up nicely. As every the attention to detail was excellent.

I would image Netflix will see a lot of cancellations in the next while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

That was a brilliant finish. The entire thing from episode 1 to 62 was just about the most perfectly written, acted and staged drama ever to air on tv. Well done to everyone involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Its over. Its rare a tv show has a proper ending. I was emotional during Walts last scene with Skylar. Now Im just emotional because its all over.

I think I will stop watching tv now, nothing can match, let alone top that....the bar has been raised very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Zyzz wrote: »
    Anyone else love stumbling across things like this?
    http://i.imgur.com/NlUcUCY.jpg]
    Fantastic Directing by Gilligan

The shot or Walt walking away from seeing Flynn gradually blurring out as if Walt had nothing to do with his Life anymore.

It's the simple things that BB did so right.

doozer16 wrote: »
    OK - Final episode watched -
    Conclusion = bitterly dissapointed, pretty ****e.
    Was expecting far more, they should have left it off after Ozymandias or even Granite State.

What would you have done?

Vince Gilligan seems like a really great guy. Whenever he gets praise for writing/directors, he immediately praises his writing team/other directors and the actors. If someone mentions a great shot he made he'll either say "he stole from the best" and put over some old TV show/movie, or say that was coincidence (like Skylar's reflection in the microwave in her apartment shot). Sounds like such a humble, immensely talented guy. Makes me feel bad for dropping X-Files a few seasons in, lol.

Garseys wrote: »
    Fantastic Directing by Gilligan
    It's the simple things that BB did so right.
    I haven't read this thread from the start, but one of the better things done with this drama was the fact that it never used annoying, noisy "background" music during dialogue...simple but very effective. Other producers take note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

It's as close to perfect a finale as I have ever seen. The only thin I would have liked was something more between Walt and Jesse.

It's funny Dexter ended recently and everyone was really pissed, people always are going to be, but everyone was analysing it, which were the poorest seasons etc. having watched the whole lot very recently, only caught up at episode 12 of the last season there isn't a weak season in the five, I couldn't pick one out, he'll I couldn't even pick out a weak episode. It was so strong all the way through. I for one am glad they ended it now, it's when shows go on too long that the quality starts to drop.

All in all fantastic and I will be watching what Vince Gilligan does next very closely as well as Just Call Saul, hope it isn't a let down.

Whatever medium you look at TV, Movies, Music, Games, Graphic Novels, whatever, something like Breaking Bad is a rarity, it's a close to perfect as I think you can get.

• Advertisement

Perfect ending. Would've liked to have seen Saul's outcome, and i'm worried Huell is still in that room.

We saw Saul's outcome last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I had to contain a cheer when Jesse choked Todd to death, brilliant stuff. Def need to watch that again after ploughing through the buildup episodes again

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    I enjoyed it, but like several people have said it was fairly predictable and the show definitely peaked with Ozymandias.

It's hard to pin down exactly what was missing, but overall everything went a little too prefect I think. Put it this way, I don't think I will find myself day dreaming i na few weeks about Breaking Bad, certainly not the about the finale anyway.

The Sopranos ending stayed with me for months, it still does. I don't think BB will have that legacy. In saying that it's obviously a double edged sword and a hypocritical viewpoint because of course I would love to have an epilogue to The Sopranos explaining exactly what happend. Can't have you cake etc etc...

YOU MUST LOVE BLANK SCREENS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Not sure about peoples complaints about it being to "happy". Can it only be good if it's a depressing ending?
    Just finished watching the last episode and reading through this thread.

Thanks everyone, it really has been something. These threads have really been fantastic too.

Yeah, very handy going to Penns posts to find out what just happened :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

YOU MUST LOVE BLANK SCREENS

Not all of us need everything spelled out :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Perfection.

Thank you Vince, Bryan, Aaron and the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

While I knew Pete Ham of Badfinger took his own life, I didn't know his suicide note contained the words "Stan Polley (band manager) is a soulless bastard. I will take him with me"a possible reference to Walt taking the Nazi's with him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

While I knew Pete Ham of Badfinger took his own life, I didn't know his suicide note contained the words "Stan Polley (band manager) is a soulless bastard. I will take him with me"a possible reference to Walt taking the Nazi's with him?

I think you're reading into a bit too much there :pac:

The song just suited it the moment and the series in general, I say Vince had that song in mind for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Vaxxine

Just watched it, totally breaking sad right now :( Loved Walt in the beginning, and loved him until the end! Great finale. So happy Jesse survived.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Jacks Smirking Revenge

A manly tear was shed....
    I'm glad they didn't go all out depressing or ambiguous.
    They gave it a satisfying ending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Breaking Bad season finales viewers (in millions)

Year 1- 1.5
    Year 2- 1.5
    Year 3- 1.6
    Year 4- 1.8
    Year 5- 2.8
    Year 6- 10.3

Breaking Bad 3rd most watched series finale in cable history behind HBOs Sopranos & Sex & The City & most watched finale ever on basic cable

• Advertisement
Advertisement