Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 5, Episode 16: Felina

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    No.

Grey Matter coming back felt contrived, if you're going to bring them back then it should have been a huge twist on the company's background and why Walt left.

Walt still died a happy man and there's no way thats how Gilligan originally conceived his finale.

It wasnt a disaster of a finale along the lines of Prison Break, Dexter and Lost, its not even close. But it did need to be darker and it needed a jaw dropping twist or moment we'll always remember. Alas it didnt come
    I disagree. Reintroducing the Gray Matter storyline after three seasons solely to reveal a big twist would have been frustrating and contrived. A twist for the sake of a twist. It was always implied why Walt left, and explained in an interview a number of years back with the character who played Gretchen. Walt was never comfortable with Gretchen's family who he felt looked down on him due to being a lower class. He called off their engagement, and left the company as a result.

I got no sense at all that Walt died a happy man. I think he accepted his circumstances and the man he became, but in no way happy. He lost everything, why would he be happy? I think rewatching both Granite State and Felina back-to-back will give a better sense of Walt's transition into his circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

A great ending but did anyone feel like it was a box ticking exercise in a way? Kill lydia, check. Get money to family,check. Clear up the hank thing, check. Kill Nazis and free Jesse,check.

We kinda knew he was going to die anyway, no other conclusion would have made sense .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

I loved it. It was a prefect end and I was left totally satisfied. I can't see how they could have done it better.

I don't understand why people feel the need to criticise the show now?

And I don't understand why people are using spoilers lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Im very happy with that ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Penn wrote: »
    He called them when he thought it was just Jesse. When he saw Hank, he explicitly told Jack not to come, and surrendered himself to Hank.

You do realise that the series would have been over right then and there, if Jack had obeyed. Hank had him in cuffs, "Dead to rights."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

I thought it was great. I think in Skyler's kitchen, Heisenberg and Walt became one!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Dman001 wrote: »

It was always implied why Walt left
    , and explained in an interview a number of years back with the character who played Gretchen. Walt was never comfortable with Gretchen's family who he felt looked down on him due to being a lower class. He called off their engagement, and left the company as a result.

Ive been a huge fan of this show for years and Ive read up loads on it. This is the first time Ive heard the above theory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

What a great way to end the best TV show I have ever seen as others have

said as close to perfection as you can get. Todd was one cold killer glad Jesse

got him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Wonder what happened to Brock, fcuking loved seeing Jessie get Todd, the Lydia song on his phone was overkill though. ;) Loved the Skinny Pete and Badger cameo too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

gonna rewatch it now in all it's glory :D still very excited tbh! :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

5.16 - Series finale

I liked it. It was methodical, but not clinical or mechanical - the pacing felt natural. It didn't feel like it had go all epic, nor was it all about scrambling to wrap up loose ends in an obvious way. Core ones were covered, of course.

A few on the nose lyrics in the teaser. Those sirens were never going to stop for Walt. Is it just me or does he look a bit Gary Oldman a la Batman Begins/TDK/TDKR in his glasses and get up (only more facial hair)? The laser lights were a bit unexpected (stealthy Walt getting in, of course) and I think would have been too diabolical for Walt (that's a high bar!) had they been real. Still, good to see Badger and Skinny Pete, briefly and nice Jawsesque type reference.

Given the Skyler/Walt scene, which was powerful and really well done, there's no way it could have ended without Walt dying. Of course, that's been coming for a while now, but I mean the dynamic of this episode - big signpost and death notice there. and his 52nd birthday, too, I guess. And then the boot opened...

Todd had to go, so much dead weight on that guy. And for a second there Walt was building a drone with the M60.

Loved the lab check at the end. My baby blue...

Feel a bit deflated now, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Pure Tv perfection.

The greatest TV show ever produced made so by Brian Cranston.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Ive been a huge fan of this show for years and Ive read up loads on it. This is the first time Ive heard the above theory
    Someone had posted the interview last week:

Jessica Hecht (Gretchen) was asked what it was like to have Bryan Cranston curse at her. Her response:
    A: Oh man, he’s a good actor. But it was easy because Vince Gilligan told us exactly what went down between the characters off screen: We were very much in love and we were to get married. And he came home and met my family, and I come from this really successful, wealthy family, and that knocks him on his side. He couldn’t deal with this inferiority he felt — this lack of connection to privilege. It made him terrified, and he literally just left me, and I was devastated. Walt is fighting his way out of going back to that emotional place, so he says, “F— you.”

http://blogs.amctv.com/breaking-bad/2009/05/jessica-hecht-interview/

While it would have been impossible to take this from the series as it was never said, it was always implied Gretchen was the reason for him leaving Gray Matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Dman001 wrote: »
    I disagree. Reintroducing the Gray Matter storyline after three seasons solely to reveal a big twist would have been frustrating and contrived. A twist for the sake of a twist. It was always implied why Walt left, and explained in an interview a number of years back with the character who played Gretchen. Walt was never comfortable with Gretchen's family who he felt looked down on him due to being a lower class. He called off their engagement, and left the company as a result.

I got no sense at all that Walt died a happy man. I think he accepted his circumstances and the man he became, but in no way happy. He lost everything, why would he be happy? I think rewatching both Granite State and Felina back-to-back will give a better sense of Walt's transition into his circumstances.

I found out Walt was with Gretchen, they split and he left Grey Matter but I've never heard the rest of it, thanks. Where did you find that? EDIT : Thanks for posting

I think Walt was relatively happy dying ('happy' is a bit strong, more 'ah, I can finally rest') as he accomplished his goals, and his sub-goals (his family will be financially secure, and he killed the guys who killed Hank).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭The Big Smoke

Who the hell needs 'better call Saul', when you can have PINKFELD.:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭squirrelohara

I actually thought Walt was going to cook one last batch and finally try his own product.

Best series ever!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

I actually thought Walt was going to cook one last batch and finally try his own product.

Best series ever!

I was hoping for this too!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Laurence_OC

Watched this show from start to finish and from pretty early on I got the vibe it was one of those shows that comes along every few years that's over hyped to an ridiculous extent. The media and sheepish fans really drove this 1 to new levels of overatedness. Credit to the producers and writers though for ending it relatively early unlike some of it's predecessors who milked their's as much as they could. (Lost)
    I enjoyed some moments in it's history though yet overall wasn't very original nor well written in some key aspects and scenes. A much better show in my opinion who be something like Boardwalk Empire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Pure Tv perfection.

The greatest TV show ever produced made so by Brian Cranston. Vince Gilligan.

FYP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Has it been mentioned on here yet that Walt may not even be dead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Good ending IMO.

Walt ultimately ends up succeeding in what he set out to do in the first place - gain enough money for his family so they will never have to worry financially when he dies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Polar101

Really liked the last two episodes, was getting tired of the seemingly endless cliffhangers in the second part of the season and thought the Hank stuff was weak. But the show got back on track in the last two episodes. Very good TV show - I guess it doesn't make my top 5 since I didn't feel any emotional connection with the characters or the events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,668 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Watched this show from start to finish and from pretty early on I got the vibe it was one of those shows that comes along every few years that's over hyped to an ridiculous extent. The media and sheepish fans really drove this 1 to new levels of overatedness. Credit to the producers and writers though for ending it relatively early unlike some of it's predecessors who milked their's as much as they could. (Lost)
    I enjoyed some moments in it's history though yet overall wasn't very original nor well written in some key aspects and scenes. A much better show in my opinion who be something like Boardwalk Empire.

Such as?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

So Lydia's daughter ends up an orpan. How sad. or can you survive ricin poisoning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I loved the bit with the 'laser sights', there's a clue that the hitmen are amateurs - one of them veers off Gretchen so much so it even blinds the camera; an actual hitman would be very still. I thought it was just a cool visual until the reveal of Skinny Pete and Badger. (loved seeing them one last time!)
    So Lydia's daughter ends up an orpan. How sad. or can you survive ricin poisoning?

Yeah, an innocent girl, much like Brock. I'm shocked Lydia made it this far (especially in the first few episodes) but I think her fate was sealed when she had her whole previous meth crew wiped out by Uncle Jack's gang. No, ricin's irreversible. Even if she went to the hospital and told the doctors, there's no cure!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

I don't want reveal to much at the moment. But I've written a six part Breaking Bad spin off called The Blue Avenagers.

It's set 15yrs after the events of Felina and centres around Brock Cantillo, Holly White, Kaylee Ehrmantraut and Kiira Rodarte-Quayle as they do battle to rid the world of the deadly Crystal Blue Meth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I actually cried when Walt said goodbye to Holly. Last time he was going to see his daughter. I dont know it just hit a nerve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

excollier wrote: »
    I think I will stop watching tv now, nothing can match, let alone top that....the bar has been raised very high.

As it should be.

I expect that something will come along in the SHORT to medium term that will restore our faith in TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

A much better show in my opinion who be something like Boardwalk Empire.

I'm sorry but even as a big Boardwalk Empire fan its not in the same league as Breaking Bad

• Advertisement

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Not all of us need everything spelled out :pac:

Some of us would have liked to see
    something (ANYTHING HAPPEN)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭carol clery

Hugely disappointed with the ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

afatbollix wrote: »
    I actually cried when Walt said goodbye to Holly. Last time he was going to see his daughter. I dont know it just hit a nerve.

Indeed, as a father of a 22 month old boy - roughly the same as Holly, it was an emotional moment.

Well that's it , that's it right there - the greatest TV show ever made, there will never be one like it again - EVER.

To be so consistently good, and never falter in quality and end so well , no other TV show can boast the same.

Amazing stuff , just amazing, I was worried a little bit at the start that I'd be disappointed, after the scene with Elliot and Gretchen how well it was done, I knew we were in for another 10.

A gem, I can't wait for my barrel to arrive from amazon now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Shout Dust

Even if Lydia did survive the Ricin, she'd be linked to the Nazis and blue meth and end up in jail. Wonder what happens to Madrigal after again being linked to the international drug trade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Son0vagun wrote: »
    I don't want reveal to much at the moment. But I've written a six part Breaking Bad spin off called The Blue Avenagers.

It's set 15yrs after the events of Felina and centres around Brock Cantillo, Holly White, Kaylee Ehrmantraut and Kiira Rodarte-Quayle as they do battle to rid the world of the deadly Crystal Blue Meth.

wow Kiira Rodarte-Quayle must be the best name for a character in the show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

iMuse wrote: »
    I'm sorry but even as a big Boardwalk Empire fan its not in the same league as Breaking Bad

Same here, haven't quite been feeling HB so far this season and bar an astounding penultimate episode, wasn't much of a fan of last season either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I enjoyed it...not blown away but very content. The first scene in the snowed in car was a euphemism for the whole show imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ElizaT33

Haven't read all pages before this - just finished watching last episode and it was an EXCELLENT ENDING to a FANTASTIC TV SERIES - am SOOOOO glad Walt saved Jesse - in the end he kinda redeemed some of all the "BAD" he did, apart from with Flynn .... that made me sad:(. They should have had 1 more scene and I would rest easy ......! But, no criticism ...... Loved every minute of it all ---- NOW what will I watch - it's become part of my week????:D

I nerded out this morning and listened to a couple of podcasts after I'd viewed the series finale. This is something I usually try to avoid.

I heard a very unusual and, oddly, a very apt description of one of the scenes.

The scene at the end where
    Jesse kills Todd
    was described as the breaking bad equivalent of the "Marcellus Wallace" or "the gimp" scene from pulp fiction.

I found it weirdly amusing.

In the sense that walter and jesse had some sort of unspoken understanding that they were even and todd was Jesses gimp

Would it be fair to say that Walter White's image was rehabilitated to some small degree? He's still Walter but it could have been worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Some of us would have liked to see
    something (ANYTHING HAPPEN)

It's all there in plain sight ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Its easily the greatest run of final episodes in serialised tv ever.

I loved how the last two episodes have been almost a haunting for all the characters. Every scene gave us just enough to fill the whole picture

I have found Walt an incredibly hard to like charcater, but still feel for the guy in pretty much every moment. His isolation in New Hampshire, and despite all the misery he has invested on himself and others, it was this stay in isolation that changed him most in the whole series, Bryan Cranston was spell binding, heart breaking.

All through these last episodes the storytelling was brief, but complete.
    Just damn good drama 101, layer on layer, building on characters personalities logically and consistently. Even Todd and Lydia feel like lived in characters but they've only been in the show for 16 episodes

the offer to stay for one hour, holly's goodbye,
    that phonecall to Jr.

THAT flashback to the pilot "get a little excitement into your life" was perfect. The admittal it was all for himself, that I had always wanted him to say.

lydia's poisoning in particular made me cold,
    and jessie's laugh was it both insane joy and/or just insanity as he charges down that lone road, what life to?
    It feels like I want it go on, but I'm glad it stopped, it was a natural ending

all the more effective that a lot of isn't shown in , they'll go on living in our minds. Bittersweet endings in my mind always seem to be the best.

He didn't pull J.J Abrams "contrived mystery box type ending or any point in the show for the sake of it, because I love mystery boxes, fan service, nostalgia and I know nothing else". Gilligan and his writers know who how to build substance, tension and clever suprises, original ideas, flashbacks in their scripts consistently.

He never even got to say good bye to his son who hates him and will never understand, he just gazes on to catch another fraction of a second him for the very last time ever Damn

When that guitar started up and the line "I got what I deserved" dropped, I went wow and honestly a little teary eyed, he ****ed up really badly, and he knew it, yet and I understood what he did as much as I disagreed with him. this youtube comment sums it up better than I

"It is over because HE was finished. And honestly, it wasn't about the meth. It was about a man taking control of his life, facing his fears, and choosing his own path even when everything around him tried to kill him- including his own body. Great ending to a great show."

Its been a pleasure. The vast majority of mature real storytelling is happening in TV and long may it continue. Its a long extended golden age!

Get Gilligan/Fincher a job directing/writing a smuggler ship Star Wars movie transporting drugs and dodging through asteroid fields, its the franchise needs now semi srs joke

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Anyone else think that when jesse was 'revealed' and stepping out of the shadow that he was gonna be blinded in his right eye ala Gus/Teddy bear? everything seemed to come full circle..alot of mirroring going on. jesse choking todd just like walt choked crazy8. jesse driving the car towards walt looking like he was gonna run him over just like when walt took out the two hitmen for jesse. jesse 'finally free' driving away reminiscent of his melt down in the go-kart.

All in all a good episode. Felt a bit underwhelmed maybe at the end. Last week's finish was so good, theme music building the tension..this week felt just a little flat. Don't see what else they could have done really, maybe i was expecting one last twist, i dunno. Still the greatest Tv show I've had the pleasure of watching though!!

Hugely disappointed with the ending.

Please continue......................

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    It's all there in plain sight ;)

Nothing was there in plain sight. That's the whole point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭jos28

Very happy with that ending. All loose ends tied up, plenty of symbolism and great soundtrack. Definitely NOT a Dexter style finale. Anyone else think that Walt bore a strange resemblance to Jim Royle in the final scene

article-2438422-18638E7200000578-946_634x487.jpg

_46921239_jim_roylebbc.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'd have rather Walt go out in a blaze, ie 'Suicide by Cop' then he gets his wish and the PD get satisfaction for Hanks death.. Lame end for Walt IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Overall pretty good episode but in the usual BB style there was too much stuff that happened too conveniently so that the necessities of the plot could be met. The Nazi compound scene was particuarly lazy in this regard. What if they hadn't let him park the car in that precise position next to the house? What if the guy who searched him had kept the keys in his pocket instead of leaving them on the pool table? That's stuff that Walt couldn't plan for. If they feared him wearing a wire then they might well have searched the car too, for fear of there being a listening device inside that could pick up sounds from within the house.
    In short a ton of things could have gone wrong with the plan, ending in Walt getting a bullet in the head & the Nazis continuing as before. In real life at least one of them would have happened. I know Breaking Bad is fictional, but it kind of annoys me when it has stuff that is as completely implausible as that.

I'll miss BB & definitely think it's up there with the great TV shows but it's sloppy writing like this that stops it from being the greatest of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭PigeonPie

Can't believe it's all over, that episode was the quickest hour of my life. Have to say I shed a tear or two during it. Best thing I have ever watched on screen. Dunno how anything will come close. Vince Gilligan is genius.

Now to a life without breaking bad....(sob!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I was hoping for Walt to do one last cook with maybe the final shot the camera panning in on that meth purity tester and seeing it flash at 99.8/99.9%...confirming that he was the best.

Still a great end to a great series, maybe not the greatest series of all time but in my view this half of the season has been the greatest stretch of television in history.

Advertisement