Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 5, Episode 16: Felina

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

Decent ending. Tied up most things anyway. Would have liked to have found out why he left Gretchen and Grey Matter years back. Could definitely have been longer.

Happy with how it played out but it was a bit predicable given how navy curve balls the show three you. Can understand the Hollywood ending comments but whatever Gilligan did it wasn't going to please everyone, think he made the right decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

OhHiMark wrote: »
    I apologise, I did not continue reading. I knew I'd forget to go back if I moved on.
    You can use the multi-quote button (the one next to the quote button) to save a post you want to reply to until you've finished reading a thread. It's really handy, especially if your memory is crappy like mine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Loved it. Don't think it could have ended any better really. All loose ends tied up (except perhaps the exact reason why Walt fled from Gray Matter). Thought it was quite satisfying. Don't think they could have done it much better.

My favourite scene by far was Jack telling Walt to hold his fire so he can tell him how to find his money, and Walt just pulls the trigger. He doesn't care anymore.

The scene with Gretchen and Elliott was very tense stuff, with great comic relief at the end, but I'm glad that wasn't dwelt on too much. It was a good way of getting the inheritance to Walt's children actually.

Glad the ricin went to Lydia in the end. The phonecall between her and Walt was brilliant.

Jesse's vengeance and emancipation was beyond gratifying really. The tears of relief and joy and grief as he sped away from this hellish experience was quite moving really. Such a variety of emotions in one short scene. Beautiful acting by Aaron Paul (he's been great all season really).

The ending scene was very poignant. To have Walt die in a lab surrounded by his creation, rather than being taken by cancer or the cops, after leaving the money to his family, seeing Skyler and his baby one last time, avenging Hank and rescuing Jesse. It was perfect really. He died on his own terms.

It wasn't the best episode of the show (my favourite is still Salud from season 4), but it was a great way to end things and tie it all up.

Sad it's all over now, but I feel very happy to have seen it as it happened. A totally classic piece of television, and just an amazing piece of art really. From the acting to the writing to the cinematography, it has just been a perfect meeting of all the right people in the right place at the right time.

It's been a privilege discussing Breaking Bad with you all! To more great television! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

This isn't real life.

In real life Jesse would have been killed 4 seasons ago.

This isn't an argument. Events occur within the world that seem unbelievable which breaks the suspension of disbelief for some of us

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭PurpleSt4in

Mixed bag of emotions. Tied up everything BUT I think I was just expecting a little more darkness... and was disappointed in that regard, as strange as it sounds. I guess I just felt like Walt deserved a little more suffering in the same way Jesse had to suffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

I usually don't go for happy, nicely wrapped up endings but I wanted it this time. I was hoping for some form of redemption for Walt and am delighted he died feeling he had some self worth. Obviously happy Jesse gets out, don't know of anyone who wanted him dead. Also like that his meth outshone Walt's in the end, learned from the chemistry master and then excelled in his own right.

Loved the series. It had some amazing characters, villians and all.

Sad to see it end, but better now while still hot than linger on for another couple of seasons and maybe get stale.

Top quality tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Mixed bag of emotions. Tied up everything BUT I think I was just expecting a little more darkness... and was disappointed in that regard, as strange as it sounds. I guess I just felt like Walt deserved a little more suffering in the same way Jesse had to suffer.

Walt lost everything of any importance to him, especially his kids. He definitely suffered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

mathstalk wrote: »
    I got the vibe he died naturally at the end, from his cancer. I googled, but no immediate results. Anyone think otherwise ?

What? Cancer? Not the 7.62mm round delivered at almost close range at high velocity from an M60, no? Sorry, maybe I misread it. Perhaps, he very opportunistically died from cancer, most coincidentally, ahead of that grievous wound so evidently shown in the finale. Must have missed that vibe!

Awesome finale. Couldn't have asked for better. Fans of Dexter will particularly appreciate the episode as a benchmark for which to base finales upon. Scott Buck, I hope you watched the finale with tears in your eyes, not for the show, or its characters, but for what your own show should and so easily could have been, if you weren't so lazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,188 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I just watched Talking Bad and was tearing up listening to all the love the actors have for Vince especially Jonathan Banks (Mike) who got emotional talking how great it was to work with the crew. Worth a watch if you can find it online or when it goes up on Netflix probably on Thursday.

Re-watched the episode tonight as had watched it at 7am, really love the way Walt appears out of nowhere in a lot of the scenes be it in the coffee shop, Skyler's apartment, or sitting in the background of Gretchen & Elliot's house. Also nice scene final scene with Skyler & Holly! I suppose knowing you would never see your daughter grow up or she will never remember you had me fecking tearing up again! I'll say it again having been a fan from day 1, that was the perfect way to end Breaking Bad! I think some people wanted it to be some kind of Michael Bay ending with Walt making some kind of chemical bomb out in the lab and to talk out the police, that would have been out of character for the show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Time to give it another chance. This time without the ads ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭PurpleSt4in

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Walt lost everything of any importance to him, especially his kids. He definitely suffered

Yeah he had the whole Walt JR telling him to just die already and that made him want to give himself up... I never said he did not suffer, just Jesse's suffering was far greater imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

I have spent the greater part of a week catching up on this show in time for the finale. It has held me captive like a slave to the screen at every moment. This is the greatest writing of an anti hero on tv I've every seen. It's gripping viewing and brilliant storytelling, and Walt too is a brilliant storyteller, scientist, and criminal mind.

We have yet another example of America intelligence phobia, where intelligence is evil. We have it combined without iconic western/cowboy genre and fused with contemporaneous mafia ethics. Brilliant synthesis.

However, I stopped rooting for Walt in S2 and saw him through Jesses eyes since then.

I have loved the cadence of all seasonal but the ending blew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Spiderman1975

Custardpi wrote: »
    Even with the threat Elliott & Gretchen are immensely wealthy. Hiring a top security team to protect them would be no hassle whatsoever. Lots of wealthy & powerful people who have received death threats manage to survive just fine once they've put such measures in place. Something of a gamble on Walt's part for this reason. That said, i still think it would work out for him because of the almost supernatural persona that his alter-ego Heisenburg has acquired, no doubt embellished by lurid stories in the press. The general public may well have been convinced that Walt was, as Jesse put it "the devil", capable of anything. A simple phone call to a top security/bodyguard firm would have been enough to stop Walt (if he had actually been in control of two hitmen instead of a couple of stoners with laserpens), but couldn't have stopped Heisenburg.

So the choice was hiring 24hr security and living out the rest of their lives in fear of being assainated or simply handing over money that isn't theirs in the first place. Remember plenty of wealthy, powerful people have been killed in the past.
    Seems like a no-brainer to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

really love the way Walk appears out of nowhere in a lot of the scenes be it in the coffee shop, Skyler's apartment, or sitting in the background of Gretchen & Elliot's house.

On that note:
    http://i.imgur.com/4ymZvcN.png

• Advertisement

Interesting point made on Talking Bad, that Walt told Skyler that Uncle Jack and the boys had killed Hank & Steve, that she would have told Walt Jnr that his dad hadn't killed Hank & Steve, but I think it was discussed on Talking Bad that Walt Jnr would never know that his Dad didn't kill Hank and would continue to hate him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Question. Walt comes down from the mountains after being alone for months, by stealing someone's Volvo.

Saul is gone and he hasn't been in contact with the Nazis.

Where did he acquire the M60?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Spiderman1975

Ebay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

So the choice was hiring 24hr security and living out the rest of their lives in fear of being assainated or simply handing over drug money that Walt made from the sufferings of thousands of people. Remember plenty of wealthy, powerful people have been killed in the past.
    Seems like a no-brainer to me.

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Question. Walt comes down from the mountains after being alone for months, by stealing someone's Volvo.

How he got the M60 was explained in a flashforward

• Advertisement

He bought it off the same weapon dealer he had dealt with in one of the earlier seasons!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Just finished watching. I've to get up at 6 for work.

Perfect ending. Lacking in balls-out action but it wouldn't have fitted in with how Walt looked in the episode.

The goodbye to Skylar was fantastic. The slight camera movement to reveal Walt in the kitchen was great. The guys who direct this are geniuses.

Up there with Friday Night Lights as the best ending to a show that I've seen. Seeing Walt back in the lab made it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Dempsey wrote: »
    How he got the M60 was explained in a flashforward

Just rewatched it, thanks, forgot all about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

I'll start watching so.. Was giving bb a miss after the lost and sopranos craps endings..

But folks on here seem happy with how this was tied up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I'm going to break the internet uploading this. Apologies.

The first and last appearance of the main characters.

I didn't begin with the series but even these episodes seem ages ago, especially the scene of Walt's party.

breakingbad-first-final-1.gif

breakingbad-first-final-2.gif

breakingbad-first-final-3.gif

breakingbad-first-final-4.gif

breakingbad-first-final-5.gif

breakingbad-first-final-6.gif

breakingbad-first-final-7.gif

And, finally, the transformation and decline (but not death) of Walt/Heisenberg all made into one gif.

BB_400-1.gif

EDIT:

And, finally (x2), Walt comes clean.

12-like1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

The ending scene with Walt walking around the lab getting nostalgic made me choke up. Can't believe it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Wanted to read the thread through before posting as it was nice to read other people's thoughts although a great show like that will have its critics

Its nice to watch it in your own time & made things a lot clearer to see as the stream went away a few times last night leaving blanks :eek:
    As i didnt see him waiting for Gretchen+Elliott, on where he closed the double doors & the bkground music eerily came on to start off his masterplan & to introduce the 2 best marksmen this side of... that was funny.
    There were a lot of funny & redeeming parts in it as Walt knew his time was up, but wanted more with his family, Jesse avenging his GF on Todd, 'its nothing personal'
    All in all, an ending on Walt's terms & no one else's.
    I hope other writers are looking upto Vince Gilligan as he's certainly set the benchmark for tv & not faltered at the last step either, as he hopes it will be remembered like his favourite show, The Twilight Zone-50 odd years on

closifer wrote: »
    The stars of The Big Bang Theory are looking for $1m each per episode for the next season and they have 24 episodes per season! $225k seems comparatively reasonable :)

I saw somewhere last week, as they have had their highest ever ratings for that show, so now wonder they're asking for a share as didnt the Friends-co stars do the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Phazer

I'm tearing up a little bit writing this. I don't really want it to be all over. Its crazy to think season 5 was announced 2 years ago and so I guess you just get used to always looking forward to the next episode!

A great finale. 7.5/10 I felt the show fumbled a couple of aspects that could have propelled this ep into Legendary status.

First off, way way too much exposition in this episode. Walt did far too much explaining when anyone watching the series finale of a show should really know what is going on ( I dont mean having guessed the plot before the ep aired, but the ricin scene was drawn out) Because, correct me if im wrong, but wasn't that the second time Walt has said ' I was Alive' in some form or another? Was it possibly 'I am Awake'?

Terrible song choice at the end that broke the mood and frustrated me. Sometimes they pick a song with abstract relevance for the craic instead of a song that would actually suit.

Poor Aaron Paul was so restrained in how he could explore Jesse this season. Im trying to remember the last line he didn't shout at the top of his lungs.

I only mention this in the spirit of discussion of course because the pros outweigh the cons like Huell does Baby Holly :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Very tidy finale plot wise, felt somewhat rushed towards the end of the episode for me. I didn't not like it, but expected a darker end to the show which was excellent overall, especially the first couple of seasons.

Killing the Lydia lady was pretty damn harsh with the ricin. The scene with the Grey Matter owners and the one with Skyler were both excellent, far superior to the final scene.

Fantastic show, bit of an average ending imo, can't understand the OMG best finale ever comments myself.

Each to their own. I felt the Sopranos, the Wire and the Shield all had far better written endings than this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Having slept on it, read countless comments (on here included) and read a number of articles, I think the word that best sums it up for me is "satisfied".

It wasn't mind blowing and it wasn't rubbish, it was in between. I would have preferred a twist of some sort at the end, it was all a bit too simple and straight forward but I guess it had to be done.

If you were to compare it to the rest of the show it'd be a 7 out of 10 episode for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭doozer16

I don't understand the criticism of it. It's not the news...it's a TV show. And the most well written TV show that there has ever been.

Get a hold of yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Having slept on it, read countless comments (on here included) and read a number of articles, I think the word that best sums it up for me is "satisfied".

It wasn't mind blowing and it wasn't rubbish, it was in between. I would have preferred a twist of some sort at the end, it was all a bit too simple and straight forward but I guess it had to be done.

If you were to compare it to the rest of the show it'd be a 7 out of 10 episode for me.

I think it was a cop out. It protected the Walt rooters from seeing the consequences of Walts legacy, like two orphans, it rescued Jesse from a horrific fate, through ridiculous plots, and it refused to let the Walt condemnors get any satisfaction by knowing him his slivers of redemption.

They should have let him freeze to death in the car and then pan to the various consequences of his actions. The orphaned children, Jesse left in tne Nazi cellar, his family never knowing where Hanks body is, and Skyler catching a rap for being an accomplice, leaving Holly and orphan too.

And Holly, who up the road in a spin off, becomes a meth addict.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

I liked the little sly slagging one of the Nazi's gave Todd when he was trying to get Walt off Jesse "get both of them off Todd huh huh" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

I think it was a cop out. It protected the Walt rooters from seeing the consequences of Walts legacy, like two orphans, it rescued Jesse from a horrific fate, through ridiculous plots, and it refused to let the Walt condemnors get any satisfaction by knowing him his slivers of redemption.

They should have let him freeze to death in the car and then pan to the various consequences of his actions. The orphaned children, Jesse left in tne Nazi cellar, his family never knowing where Hanks body is, and Skyler catching a rap for being an accomplice, leaving Holly and orphan too.

And Holly, who up the road in a spin off, becomes a meth addict.

We know he ruined his family, Marie's life, Lydia's kid, countless other people along the way. Why would we need to explicitly see this stuff to be aware of it?

It happened, we know, we don't need it displayed in neon lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Madame K

Did anyone notice Todd's reaction when Walt showed up at his date with Lydia. That Opie dead-eye piece of **** was jealous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭frash

Watched the final episode last night - any chance of the paramedics reviving him for a season 6?
    I know it's not planned but is it a possibility?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

frash wrote: »
    Watched the final episode last night - any chance of the paramedics reviving him for a season 6?
    I know it's not planned but is it a possibility?

I'll have a word with Vince. See what I can do. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

doozer16 wrote: »
    Get a hold of yourself

I was hoping that someone would rise to this. I'd be interested to hear the shows that you think are better. Maybe I can check them out if I haven't seen them.

Personally, I've never seen character development like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

I watched it last night before going to bed - needed a good 20 minutes to just sit and take it all in.

What a wonderful ending to a wonderfully amazing show!

Walt just tied up all the loose ends he had created. He got the money to his children, got to put fear into those that shafted him so early on, say goodbye to the loves of his life and save Jesse from slavery and somewhat redeeming himself. He did what he could to put a few things right.

Hand on Holly's head - slayed me!

I'm glad that Lydia one got the ricin; no likey her!
    And glad Jese got the honour of taking down Todd, was glad Walt just watched understanding.

Jesse's killing and escape - just perfect!

Half want to watch it all again, but know it won't have as amazing a feeling. Am glad got to watch/experience it during its time and airing. :)

Now Mr Gilligan, its time to get cracking on your next project or not one Netflix subscription will be renewed ;):p:pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

New ringtone anyone........:D

Originally sang by Groucho Marx..Oh Lydia Oh Lydia the tattooed lady:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

All over! Watched it last night and it felt like a 15 minute episode.

The scene with The Scwartz couple was just brilliant, when those red dots appeared I yelped! Great to see Badger and Skinny Pete too!

Also didnt suspect Walt was behind the pillar in the house when Skylar was on the phone, so bloody good!

Never liked Lydia. I found it hard I'll admit to see Todd separate from his character in Friday Night Lights, which if you haven't seen it, you won't look at his country cowboy character Landry the same way again! (Do watch fnl, fantastic)

Liked Walt leaving behind the watch Jesse had gifted him on his 51st birthday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭lukin

Walt's tears when he said goodbye to Holly was heart-wrenching for me.
    I have a niece around the same age myself so it really got to me.
    Fantastic scene.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

I am a right fickle bastard when it comes to following a TV series, and I probably haven't properly followed any since Sopranos then came along this work of art Breaking Bad.

I hope that its not another decade before I start to enjoy another series.

Really gonna miss my Monday night Breaking Bad.

over to you Vince.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

In the words of Bob Dylan..."Its all over now, Baby Blue"

Loved it, loved it, loved it....the finale worked perfectly for me...not feeling negative about it one but. All loose ends tied up nicely.

Looking forward now, I can't wait to watch the cold read of the last script between Cranston and Aaron Paul....here is a snippet!

http://www.tvweb.com/news/aaron-paul-and-bryan-cranston-read-the-breaking-bad-series-finale-video

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

Torqay wrote: »
    Detached from Reality? Sure. I'll give you some "reality": make no mistake, a real crime boss of Jack Welker's caliber would have put a bullet into Walter's head, buried him and Jesse with Hank and Gomie and be done with it. Take the 80 million and call it quits. Of course that would have been too easy, so the writers chose to ridicule the show and turned them into "good" Nazis who spared the lives of Walter, Marie, Skyler, Baby Holly and Jesse. And that ungrateful Walter White came after them with a remote controlled machine gun for no good reason. This was the essence of the final two episodes.

You haven't countered what I said at all. That only proves you didn't like it, it wasn't to your taste.

Like I said, it wasn't a bad episode, there's a reason that a comfortably large majority of people here are happy with it.

So once again I state, anyone who thought the finale was "sh*te" or bad is detached from reality. I can see why some people wouldn't like it, and that it wouldn't be to some people's tastes or preferences, but to say it was sh*te or bad just smacks of immaturity from people who are unable to handle that it didn't end the way they wanted it to.

Calling the finale sh*te would be akin to me calling the Beatles sh*te because I personally hate their music. They're not sh*te, a great band, probably the greatest ever. Just because I dislike them doesn't mean they are sh*te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Good episode, but I'm not really sure it's the resolution I was hoping for or expecting.

Adamantium wrote: »
    Its easily the greatest run of final episodes in serialised tv ever.

Nah, Six Feet Under still has it. This is probably up there though but the very last scene kind of left me cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

A pity we didn't get to hear Jesse say Bitch one last time. That scene with Walt after the shooting was the spot.

They both murdered with their own hands in each other's presence(Tuco's cousin's name eludes me). At first I thought Walt stood by to let Jesse avenge his girlfriend's murder and enslavery, but I think it's the Heisenberg in him wanting Jesse to murder so they would both finish on a level playing field.

Would like to have seen Skyler and Marie done over too, they just got away too lightly from it all imo.

Saul could do a Joey from Cheers on this, I hope not. All in all great series and tied up well for a finish. Almost too well sadly.

Calling the finale sh*te would be akin to me calling the Beatles sh*te because I personally hate their music. They're not sh*te, a great band, probably the greatest ever. Just because I dislike them doesn't mean they are sh*te.

If people think it was ****e then let them. There's no set of objective criteria for judging any piece of art, even for something as firmly established as the Beatles. I hate this attitude tbh (I didn't think it was ****e btw).

• Advertisement
Advertisement