Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 5, Episode 16: Felina

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

banquo wrote: »
    I'd imagine that they'd have weapons consultants who know a lot about this stuff?

What, like the ones who post on here? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Each to their own. I felt the Sopranos, the Wire and the Shield all had far better written endings than this.

Breaking Bad's ending was just a tying up of everything really. The really great episodes came beforehand. This was just a way of saying goodbye, I think, and it was pretty fitting.

People love to complain about The Sopranos ending, but that was really genius writing on the part of David Chase. People just take it on face value and think it's just a blank screen and a cop-out ending. It's only upon repeated watches that you realize how well-written and intricate and really not all that ambiguous it is. It's one of the reasons The Sopranos has incredible re-watch value, much more than Breaking Bad, in my opinion. It actually asks you to watch again and really think about it and look for the clues. It's not insulting to the audience by spelling everything out.

Breaking Bad was a different kind of ending. I think the climax for Breaking Bad happened in the episodes preceding the last one, this was just a way to tie up loose ends.

I heard a very unusual and, oddly, a very apt description of one of the scenes.

The scene at the end where
    Jesse kills Todd
    was described as the breaking bad equivalent of the "Marcellus Wallace" or "the gimp" scene from pulp fiction.

I found it weirdly amusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Great episode and ending. For all the bad Walt had done, I don't think I would want to see his end, any other way. Dying in the Meth Lab where Heisenberg was born was poetic.

One more thing that I haven't seen mentioned that had gave me a laugh - Skyler correcting Marie on the difference between her neighbours Carol and Becky - made the same mistake myself on here, guess I wasn't the only one as it seemed very deliberately put in and specific

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85961915&postcount=153

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The New Yorker puts forward the theory that it was a dream and Walt died in the car before finding the keys.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2013/09/breaking-bad-finale-reviewed.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Question. Walt comes down from the mountains after being alone for months, by stealing someone's Volvo.

Saul is gone and he hasn't been in contact with the Nazis.

Where did he acquire the M60?

We saw that in a previous episode

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Question. Walt comes down from the mountains after being alone for months, by stealing someone's Volvo.

Saul is gone and he hasn't been in contact with the Nazis.

Where did he acquire the M60?

Go back and watch the first few secs of S5E1

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Spiderman1975

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    The New Yorker puts forward the theory that it was a dream and Walt died in the car before finding the keys.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2013/09/breaking-bad-finale-reviewed.html

I'd imagine if Walt was having a dying fantasy it would involve making peace with his son.

We know he ruined his family, Marie's life, Lydia's kid, countless other people along the way. Why would we need to explicitly see this stuff to be aware of it?

It happened, we know, we don't need it displayed in neon lights.

I think we can blame Lydia for that as much as Walter.

He was simply doing to her what she wanted to do to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

AnonoBoy wrote: »

That's actually quite interesting. I mean - i didn't see anything that even hinted at it being a fantasy though, other than the neatness of it of course. But still, i like it.

The ending scene with Walt walking around the lab getting nostalgic made me choke up. Can't believe it's all over.
    Phazer wrote: »
    I'm tearing up a little bit writing this. I don't really want it to be all over. Its crazy to think season 5 was announced 2 years ago and so I guess you just get used to always looking forward to the next episode!
    :)

Can we all stop crying please?

Very tidy finale plot wise, felt somewhat rushed towards the end of the episode for me. I didn't not like it, but expected a darker end to the show which was excellent overall, especially the first couple of seasons.

Killing the Lydia lady was pretty damn harsh with the ricin. The scene with the Grey Matter owners and the one with Skyler were both excellent, far superior to the final scene.

Fantastic show, bit of an average ending imo, can't understand the OMG best finale ever comments myself.

Each to their own. I felt the Sopranos, the Wire and the Shield all had far better written endings than this.

It wasn't. She's a c*nt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'd imagine if Walt was having a dying fantasy it would involve making peace with his son.

Even in fantasy he's a bit of a realist?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Ilik Urgee wrote: »
    They both murdered with their own hands in each other's presence(Tuco's cousin's name eludes me)

Jesse wasn't in the basement when Walt choked Krazy8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Did anybody else think that when Jesse drove off at the end that the car was going to explode? Justice for Jesse bringing Hank to the dessert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Walt dies, his soul sent to purgatory where he is placed within a middle-class, dysfunctional family with 5 sons and a neurotic wife. Start Malcolm in the Middle.

Skylar struggles on; with no husband, bored with everyday life in the after math and piled with legal fees. She decides to start selling marijuana, curiously dipping her toe into Walt's previous life. Start Weeds.

Walt Jr receives the money Walt left him, and purchases a lifetime supply of Captain Crunch. Impressed with this dedicated move, Kelloggs hires him for some advertising work. Reaching a small level of fame from this, he begins Masterchef: ABQ.

Jesse drives off and enjoys freedom, but only for a day. The police catch him, question him on a possible lead that he was involved in the Nazi shootout. He spills all, and is arrested. After he is realised, he seeks the adrenaline rush once more of fleeing the Nazi compound. Start Need For Speed.

Hank never died. The bullet is lodged in his brain, but still maintaining a small bit of life in a comatose state. As his mind is trapped in a motionless body, he dreams of a life with similar entrapment. Start Under the Dome.

Badger and Skinny Pete send there Star Trek script to Cartoon Network, who realise potential in it. They get their idea commissioned as an animated Star Trek show.

Marie continues to love purple. Netflix pick up on her, and offers her a reality TV Series, Purple is the New Black.

\Random rumblings......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Did anybody else think that when Jesse drove off at the end that the car was going to explode? Justice for Jesse bringing Hank to the dessert.

No. I think Walt planned for Jesse to die with the Nazis by being shot, but when he saw what they were doing to him by keeping him prisoner for months, he changed his mind. That's why he jumped on Jesse and ended up taking a bullet because of it.

MMmmmmmm...dessert.
    homer-drooling.png

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    No. I think Walt planned for Jesse to die with the Nazis by being shot, but when he saw what they were doing to him by keeping him prisoner for months, he changed his mind. That's why he jumped on Jesse and ended up taking a bullet because of it.

Interesting. I read it differently. I assumed he went there to save Jessie and goaded Jack just so he'd bring him out and he see he was alive. Yours makes more sense maybe but that's just what occurred to me.

F**k Jesse.

The c*nt

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Jesse wasn't in the basement when Walt choked Krazy8.

He was in the house though. They actually tossed for the murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

F**k Jesse.

The c*nt

Long live Captain Cook

Mousewar wrote: »
    Interesting. I read it differently. I assumed he went there to save Jessie and goaded Jack just so he'd bring him out and he see he was alive. Yours makes more sense maybe but that's just what occurred to me.

It just felt like when he was in the car with Badger and Skinny Pete and he realised that Jesse was their cook, that Walt seemed angry at Jesse, as if Jesse had offered to cook for them so they'd keep him alive. I think he was being genuine enough accusing Jack of partnering with him (though like you said, either way he needed to get Jesse into the room), but when he saw him in the chains, realised what they were doing to him and decided to save him. Just my interpretation of it anyway. Can't remember if they confirmed or denied it on Talking Bad

He wasn't in the house when the murder happened (and Krazy-8 wasn't related to Tuco). Jesse returned to the house later to find that Krazy-8 and Walt were both gone and Walt had cleaned up everything. Walt killed both Emilio and Krazy-8.

• Advertisement

One last thing I'm wondering. We know how symbolic the writers are. It's very noticeable during the machine gun part that some numbers appear on some white things. I don't even know what they are. But one was marked number 10 and it got a bullet right through it. Surely, that has to signify something??

Penn wrote: »
    He wasn't in the house when the murder happened (and Krazy-8 wasn't related to Tuco). Jesse returned to the house later to find that Krazy-8 and Walt were both gone and Walt had cleaned up everything. Walt killed both Emilio and Krazy-8.

Probably not. I wanst 100% sure which probably shows

One last thing I'm wondering. We know how symbolic the writers are. It's very noticeable during the machine gun part that some numbers appear on some white things. I don't even know what they are. But one was marked number 10 and it got a bullet right through it. Surely, that has to signify something??

Why do people persist with this symbolism bull****?

It all seems so trivial.

Why do people persist with this symbolism bull****?

It all seems so trivial.
    Why do you persist with calling Jessie a c**t every five minutes?

He wasnt. He had gone out after they tossed for it. Walt gets stabbed by Krazy8 and takes care of business himself. Jesse is nowhere to be seen and is certainly not in the 'presence' of Walt when he strangles Krazy8...what my original post was commenting on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Thought they did a game of thrones, had the climax before the last episode with hank and friends having a shootout choreographed by stormtroopers. Then the last few episodes were just finishing everything off. Was expecting Jesse to crash or the car explode as he escaped. Disappointed that we didn't get to see what happens afterwards but I suppose it was meant to be about Walt and it ended with him. I made a joke before that it could all be in Walts mind as he is being told he has cancer, happy I wasn't right. Last series I finished was battlestar galactica so this was nice surprise to have a decent ending. Thought about not watching it so I couldn't be disappointd.

Why do you persist with calling Jessie a c**t every five minutes?

Because I think he's a c**t every five minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I didn't think Jesse had factored into his plan at all until he brought up his name as a way to stall Jack until he could get the car key back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Phazer wrote: »
    I'm tearing up a little bit writing this. I don't really want it to be all over. Its crazy to think season 5 was announced 2 years ago and so I guess you just get used to always looking forward to the next episode!

A great finale. 7.5/10 I felt the show fumbled a couple of aspects that could have propelled this ep into Legendary status.

First off, way way too much exposition in this episode. Walt did far too much explaining when anyone watching the series finale of a show should really know what is going on ( I dont mean having guessed the plot before the ep aired, but the ricin scene was drawn out) Because, correct me if im wrong, but wasn't that the second time Walt has said ' I was Alive' in some form or another? Was it possibly 'I am Awake'?

Terrible song choice at the end that broke the mood and frustrated me. Sometimes they pick a song with abstract relevance for the craic instead of a song that would actually suit.

Poor Aaron Paul was so restrained in how he could explore Jesse this season. Im trying to remember the last line he didn't shout at the top of his lungs.

I only mention this in the spirit of discussion of course because the pros outweigh the cons like Huell does Baby Holly :)

I thought it was pretty perfect

No didn't think so. Didn't Jesse take one of the Nazi's cars. How would it have exploded? Walt wouldn't have been able to tamper with it, nor would the Nazi have.

You want symbolism try this. Breaking Bad had 62 episodes in total. The 62nd element on the periodic table is Samarium. Samarium is used to treat lung cancer.

Riddle101 wrote: »

You want symbolism try this. Breaking Bad had 62 episodes in total. The 62nd element on the periodic table is Samarium. Samarium is used to treat lung cancer.
    :)Yeah, no way in hell is that intentional.

:)Yeah, no way in hell is that intentional.

Or this... (stolen from Reddit)
    4tMkmrF.jpg

Schwartz is German for Black. The German for White is Weiss (Weiß)

This is the scene I was talking about. Like the chessboard in Ozymandias it just doesn't seem random. Why did they go to this shot during the shootout.

And, again, the number 10 gets shot an instant after this pic.

2lu6ott.jpg

Shane St. wrote: »
    I thought it was pretty perfect

I thought it should have been faded in a bit better like last week, it seemed to just be a bolt from the blue (no pun intended)...small bit jarring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Thats what caused the bullet to ricochet and wound Walt

• Advertisement

Dempsey wrote: »
    Thats what caused the bullet to ricochet and wound Walt

Perhaps. Not sure a small piece of plastic like that would cause a bullet to ricochet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Fantastic ending. I'm going to start from the very beginning tonight.
    The best tv show ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Was Walt actually on his way to save Jesse or was he going to use the m60 to mow him down as well as the Nazis? he's still pissed at him and it was only when he saw he's in shackles and not there of his own will that he saved him.

the m60 being in the perfect place to wipe everyone out was pretty contrived but the hell with it, it worked. At first I thought he was going to use it as a distraction by having it fire randomly at or over the Nazi's camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Don't think he gave a **** until he saw Jesse.

krudler wrote: »
    Was Walt actually on his way to save Jesse or was he going to use the m60 to mow him down as well as the Nazis? he's still pissed at him and it was only when he saw he's in shackles and not there of his own will that he saved him.

the m60 being in the perfect place to wipe everyone out was pretty contrived but the hell with it, it worked. At first I thought he was going to use it as a distraction by having it fire randomly at or over the Nazi's camp.

Remember when Walter drove into the compound, the guy told him to park in the spot, but Walter ignored it. I figure he drove it into the right position knowing full well what he was doing.

As for what his intentions were. He definetely wanted revenge on the Nazi's for killing Hank and taking his money. When he realized Jesse was alive, I think he wanted to see him before things went down, because he forgave him and decided to save him. Maybe a last act of redemption towards Jesse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Perhaps. Not sure a small piece of plastic like that would cause a bullet to ricochet though.

Looked metallic to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I think he intended to save Jesse. When he finally admitted to himself the real reason he became a meth cook, he would also have realised the role he played in all the crap that's happened to Jesse and how much he has suffered because of Walt and his manipulation.

When he confirmed that the blue meth was still on the streets he realised it must be Jesse cooking it. He knew that Todd was nowhere near good enough to produce meth of that quality. He also would have known that Jesse would never willingly cook for the nazis so probably figured he was likely doing it under duress. The last he saw of them, Jesse was being handed off to the nazis to be tortured. I doubt he thought that suddenly they were partners after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

The scene where he looks at Flynn coming home from school and not being able to talk to him was heartbreaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Remember when Walter drove into the compound, the guy told him to park in the spot, but Walter ignored it. I figure he drove it into the right position knowing full well what he was doing.

As for what his intentions were. He definetely wanted revenge on the Nazi's for killing Hank and taking his money. When he realized Jesse was alive, I think he wanted to see him before things went down, because he forgave him and decided to save him. Maybe a last act of redemption towards Jesse.

Oh yeah I got the whole parking differently than where your man asked him to, it was still a bit too convenient though, but hey, it worked, BB has always had convenient plot developments but it adds to the often surreal aspect to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

the double doors in the grey matter house reminded me of Scarface

Advertisement