Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football and Hurling scoring system

• 24-09-2013 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

I think I made a post on this issue some years ago on this forum, but it continues to puzzle me.

Why do the GAA persist with this goals-points scoring system, when the issue that really matters is total points? In simple words, why 3-12 to 1-19, when the main issue is 21 points to 22?

I can't think of any other sport where there is this arrangement. In rugby, total points is the issue, whether they are scored by tries or penalties. In cricket, total runs is the issue, whether they are scored by sixes, fours or singles. In football, total goals. In Australian rules total points, whether they are scored by any one of a number of ways.

I can understand that some people, if they wish to dig deep into a particular game, want to know how the total points were achieved. But for most, this doesn't matter, and the key issue is: what's the total? And, who's the winner?

So why do the GAA persist with this very odd system of separating the goals and the points, when we've seen from other sports that the demand is for a more straightforward, total points, system?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

Personally I'd rather know the goals-points breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

aveytare wrote: »
    Personally I'd rather know the goals-points breakdown.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

Why?

Haven't really thought about it to be honest. I think if i started watching a match near the end and the score was simply 15-10 or whatever I'd probably wonder right away if there were any goals, even if in a sense that's irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

I think I made a post on this issue some years ago on this forum, but it continues to puzzle me.

Why do the GAA persist with this goals-points scoring system, when the issue that really matters is total points? In simple words, why 3-12 to 1-19, when the main issue is 21 points to 22?

I can't think of any other sport where there is this arrangement. In rugby, total points is the issue, whether they are scored by tries or penalties. In cricket, thatotal runs is the issue, whether they are scored by sixes, fours or singles. In football, total goals. In Australian rules total points, whether they are scored by any one of a number of ways.

I can understand that some people, if they wish to dig deep into a particular game, want to know how the total points were achieved. But for most, this doesn't matter, and the key issue is: what's the total? And, who's the winner?

So why do the GAA persist with this very odd system of separating the goals and the points, when we've seen from other sports that the demand is for a more straightforward, total points, system?

Have you ever looked at Aussie Rules scoring format? It's far more fcuked up than the GAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I'd prefer to know the goals and points breakdown.It gives a better indication about what sort of match it is if you haven't seen the game.

If the score is given as 16 -15 you are not really sure what type of game it is.If the score in this game was was 1-13 to 0-15 it sounds like a decent game , however if the score was 3-7 to 4-3 it sounds like a pretty poor game.

Its not that difficult to do a small bit of addition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Amprodude wrote: »
    Have you ever looked at Aussie Rules scoring format? It's far more fcuked up than the GAA.
    i think the point being made is that its routine in other sports to ALWAYS have the total point score either as the primary quoted score or as an addition to the scoreline.

Should the games ever get promoted and shown on regular TV abroad you'd need to have a permanent points tally up the whole time you would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

A more pertinent question would be, why change it?

prospect wrote: »
    A more pertinent question would be, why change it?

I don't think it matters much with any individual match. If you're watching or following just one match you've pretty much got an idea who's winning or losing.

The problem for me is when you've got someone like Gary Moran on RTE reading out a whole heap of scores/results. I suspect I am not alone in finding it difficult to catch who won the various matches and by how much, with the volume of largely irrelevant data about points and goals.

Simply giving us the total points would be much simpler for everyone.

Anyone who's really interested in the minor details of how the winning or losing totals were accumulated in a particular match should have no difficulty in finding this out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

I think the Aussie Rules way of scoring is a good idea, it tells you have many goals and behinds are scored while also letting you know the total score

e.g.
    goals.behinds.total = 6.12.48

Easy to understand without having to work it out in your head

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

how in the name of god could you think that its far more fcuked up? there is only one difference, thay have 6 points for a goal to our 3.

the way they give their score too is not by total points only, as massdebater says above, they give the goals, points and then total.

I think this thread is the start of the usual winter exodus of proper topics and when the rubbish starts filling these pages. add in that stupid split Dublin thread to that too.

its going to be a long winter, again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

bruschi wrote: »
    how in the name of god could you think that its far more fcuked up? there is only one difference, thay have 6 points for a goal to our 3.

the way they give their score too is not by total points only, as massdebater says above, they give the goals, points and then total.

I think this thread is the start of the usual winter exodus of proper topics and when the rubbish starts filling these pages. add in that stupid split Dublin thread to that too.

its going to be a long winter, again!

What's fcuked up about the GAA one?

Because when the commentators call out the scores in the end of AFL games, it takes them 10 minutes to go through the scoring of the two teams, such a long format it is. Im surprised as a Aussie Rules mod that you aren't aware of this.

P.S.

No one asked you to post if you feel threads are rubbish like you said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

Odd thread this one.... The goals-points scoring can give you a better picture of the game in some ways.

Example; 1996 Munster final replay

Final score was Limerick 4-7, Tipperary 0-16.
    In points, that's Limerick 19-16 Tipperary.

4-7 to 0-16 tells you that Limerick only scored 11 times compared to Tipperary's 16, while 19-16 doesn't really say much about the nature of the scoring in the game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

What's fcuked up about the GAA one?

Because when the commentators call out the scores in the end of AFL games, it takes them 10 minutes to go through the scoring of the two teams, such a long format it is. Im surprised as a Aussie Rules mod that you aren't aware of this.

P.S.

No one asked you to post if you feel threads are rubbish like you said.

can you read? where did I say the GAA was fcuked up?

it takes ten minutes? to say one more number at the end of a score and its such a long format? are you serious?

typical GAA score being read out - Tipperary 4.17, Cork 3.13
    typical AFL score being read out - Essendon 8.10.58, Richmond 9.11.65

all it does is do the maths for you and give the total score at the end. if you think thats fcuked up or a long format then I dont know.

Ps. no one needs to be asked if they think a thread is rubbish. its a discussion forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

I can't think of any other sport where there is this arrangement. In rugby, total points is the issue, whether they are scored by tries or penalties. In cricket, total runs is the issue, whether they are scored by sixes, fours or singles. In football, total goals. In Australian rules total points, whether they are scored by any one of a number of ways.

I'd be in favour of the GAA standardising the way scores are reported. Instead of:

Dublin 2-12 Mayo 1-14

you could have

Dublin 2-12 (18) Mayo 1-14 (17)

It's a reasonable, small change that would make it easier for the casual onlooker (or the mathematically challenged) to know who won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

AFL stil go the Goals Behind tallys with overall points tally in brackets)

I like the current system. It works and tells alot about a teams ability to score goals etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

AFL stil go the Goals Behind tallys with overall points tally in brackets)

I like the current system. It works and tells alot about a teams ability to score goals etc.

So you'd be against putting the total points total in brackets at the end? They already do this in Croke Park by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

PRAF wrote: »
    They already do this in Croke Park by the way

So then what's the OP complaining about? or is his beef with RTE the way RTE sometimes reports it?
    bruschi wrote: »
    add in that stupid split Dublin thread to that too.

not to drag this off topic, but what's that about?

So then what's the OP complaining about? or is his beef with RTE the way RTE sometimes reports it?

I don't want to give the impression that I'm complaining. I'm merely making a suggestion that it would be easier for everybody if the default option for reporting hurling or football results was just to give the total points scored by each team.

That way it's easier to assimilate the results of more than one match. (And it's not just RTE who report it this way, all the media outlets do). Many people want to know not just how their team did but also how other competing teams did in their matches that day, and it's easier to assimilate all this information if we just have the total score for each team, as we do in most other sports in this part of the world.

Rugby, for example, could be reported as: Garryowen three tries, a conversion and a drop goal, Young Munster, a try, a conversion and five penalties; Lansdowne two tries, two conversions, a drop goal and a penalty, Shannon seven penalties; Galwegians four tries....

Try working all that out.

That's the way rugby used to do it in the early days, then they changed to a more manageable system of reporting the overall score.

I think it would make sense for reporting of football and hurling results to head towards a simpler, total points system.

No beef, no complaints, just a suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Martin567

Rugby, for example, could be reported as: Garryowen three tries, a conversion and a drop goal, Young Munster, a try, a conversion and five penalties; Lansdowne two tries, two conversions, a drop goal and a penalty, Shannon seven penalties; Galwegians four tries....

Try working all that out.

That's the way rugby used to do it in the early days, then they changed to a more manageable system of reporting the overall score.

I think it would make sense for reporting of football and hurling results to head towards a simpler, total points system.

No beef, no complaints, just a suggestion.

The GAA scoring system is not really that complicated though. If I heard a scoreline of 5-15 to 2-18 for example, I wouldn't have to do any complicated calculations. I would know almost instantly that the first team win by 6 points. They had 3 goals more (9pts) while the other team scored 3pts more. Therefore a 6pts win. If the score was only reported as 30pts to 24pts, I would be left wondering what sort of game it was. 5-15 to 2-18 paints a much better picture, in my opinion.

Advertisement