Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy a shed

Options
  • 24-09-2013 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

...ideally a second hand one maybe in need of repair. Or another option is that I'm handy enough to build one if the financials work.

Where does one buy a new shed in Cork?

Any ideas?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

For used, check DoneDeal and Adverts.ie, they come up semi-regularly. Argos do DIY plastic sheds, and timber sheds, but I'm not sure if the latter are DIY. And B&Q and Atlantic and a load of websites deliver and build sheds, but you may be able to do a deal with them. B&Q and Atlantic are basically reselling, so shop around.

We got ours this summer from Trihy Sawmills over the river from Youghal. The fitters were rushing and it showed: blocks were fired underneath, screws were cheap hex-headed things, and the window handle was badly fitted and had to be replaced when it snapped. However the shed proper seems to be fine, I'm sure we'll get a few years out of it before it needs any work.

They were a small bit more expensive than one of the online crowds, but we bought from them to support local business.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Hanley's near the Kinsale Road Roundabout do good quality timber sheds. They're not the cheapest, but they'll last 15-20 years if taken care of properly.

http://hanleysofcork.com/shedsizes/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Steeltech Sheds in Carrigtwohill.Big selection of all kinds of garages and sheds.

http://www.steeltechsheds.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

got mine from Trihy saw mills, waterford side of youghal. got a 10x8 about 6 years ago now, lick of fence life every year and still perfect. AT the time i got it they were cheapest around cork, delivered and set up etc
    http://www.trihysheds.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

The finances don't work. I'm finishing a shed I started a year ago as a project. Timber prices flattened me.

One can buy a garden shed delivered and set up for €300 ~ €400 and decent workshop types for around €1,400.

For the cheaper ones one cannot actually buy the materials, I priced them between six and seven hundred Euro.

Then add in the tools. Transport and delivery costs and material storage can be serious problems too that look inconsequential initially.

I ploughed on anyway as I had started and pounced on the timber sales and flooring sales getting material at 10% of their list price ~ I had also thought I could scavenge, fellas are constantly telling ya they built theirs from skips ~ that's pretty hard work actually, and those same skips are few and far between nowadays.

Finance, no, pay the money and watch the pros build it in an hour on prepared foundations and enjoy. As a project = priceless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

I'm finishing a shed I started a year ago as a project.

would ya be bothered,,,a shed like

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

I'm finishing a shed I started a year ago as a project. would ya be bothered,,,a shed like

Well, in comparison to other sheds, it's a super shed, half polycarbonate roof, a lift up window a dumps hatch, double open half barn doors. The frame is from 2x4" seasoned stock, 8" high, 9" apex 15° roof slant.

It's only let down by my poor craftsmanship, as I got better building it, parts I had made several months ago, now don't fit properly and needed modification.

My window frame aperture for instance was thought to be squared off but that bit was six month old and the window I made really squared off last week wouldn't fit in. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

scuby wrote: »
    got mine from Trihy saw mills, waterford side of youghal. got a 10x8 about 6 years ago now, lick of fence life every year and still perfect. AT the time i got it they were cheapest around cork, delivered and set up etc
    http://www.trihysheds.ie/

Trihy sheds also sell steel tech sheds so you could kill to birds with a stone.

Steel tech built my office for me second to none

Advertisement