Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surface 2 and Pro 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭shuffles03

How does smb work? What needs to be done. I use a Mac as my primary computer. If I was to fill a hard drive with content-movies, pictures etc, what steps would I need to take to play them on the S2?

Is smb done through the network or can it work offline?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

If you have a separate hard drive with all your files that you want to play/access then you can just plug it into the surface using the usb port! It should be as simple as that.

I just have a hard drive stored upstairs hooked into an always-on pc acting as a media server which I access through my wireless network. I don't need to be online, I just need to be connected to my network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,638 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If VLC is working on an app I am all ears.

DVD playback licensing was not baked into the Windows 8 OS like previous versions of Windows. Microsoft dropped paying the royalties because so many devices aren't even shipping with optical anymore. The bad part is this means RT devices can't play DVDs right now even with an external drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭shuffles03

vard wrote: »
    If you have a separate hard drive with all your files that you want to play/access then you can just plug it into the surface using the usb port! It should be as simple as that.

I just have a hard drive stored upstairs hooked into an always-on pc acting as a media server which I access through my wireless network. I don't need to be online, I just need to be connected to my network.

Cheers! If using a plugged in external HD, is the S2 open to many file types or should they be converted into a specific format first?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Cheers! If using a plugged in external HD, is the S2 open to many file types or should they be converted into a specific format first?

It seems to be from my experience. All my files have played without issue using the default Xbox video player. Mostly mp4's and avi's. I don't think you'll need to convert! ��

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Not a Surface but I bought the Dell Venue 8 today. Will post my first thoughts when it arrives.

I've a Venue 11 pro ordered, can't wait to get my hands on it but the delivery date is very close to xmas.
    I'm guessing I might not see it until the new year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭Ronanc1

Not a Surface but I bought the Dell Venue 8 today. Will post my first thoughts when it arrives.

Lisa Gade of mobiletechreview has beaten you to it! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Did you get your's yet?
    I checked on the progress of mine today and found that the order for the Venue 11 pro was cancelled but my order for the keyboard and accessoires was in production.
    Not a happy camper.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Anyone bought Surface 2 Pro recently? Just received mine today and to my disappointment it is the one with 4200U and not the upgraded one with 4300U. Kinda pissed of. Will be looking to get replacement with the upgraded CPU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Yes replace a perfectly good tablet because you didn't get the processor you wanted, but isn't guaranteed, driving up costs for everyone else. All for a tiny bump in processor speed!

Wuhoo thanks for driving up costs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

TBi wrote: »
    Yes replace a perfectly good tablet because you didn't get the processor you wanted, but isn't guaranteed, driving up costs for everyone else. All for a tiny bump in processor speed!

Wuhoo thanks for driving up costs!

Are you feeling better now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

kave2 wrote: »
    Anyone bought Surface 2 Pro recently? Just received mine today and to my disappointment it is the one with 4200U and not the upgraded one with 4300U. Kinda pissed of. Will be looking to get replacement with the upgraded CPU.

why didn't you get the one you wanted instead of the older one ?

It is the newer one, just MS did a mid cycle mini stealth upgrade of processor. He's upset that he didn't get the free upgrade so he's going to return a perfectly functioning tablet in the hope he'll get the newfangled 1% faster version. Probably keep returning it until he does.

Wuhoo for abusing the system for helping the customer in case of a genuine wrong purchase (10 day no quible return).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

TBi wrote: »
    It is the newer one, just MS did a mid cycle mini stealth upgrade of processor. He's upset that he didn't get the free upgrade so he's going to return a perfectly functioning tablet in the hope he'll get the newfangled 1% faster version. Probably keep returning it until he does.

Wuhoo for abusing the system for helping the customer in case of a genuine wrong purchase (10 day no quible return).

I don't even think there will be a 1% difference. Apparently, thermal throttling will kick in before it can reach the higher speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Neither of the surface 2 (non Pro)models are currently in stock at the Microsoft online store, and the prices for them at Argos have gone way up. Are these actually proving popular? Or have Microsoft just stopped making them as many of them?

Seeing as they had a major surplus of the original Surface (and the stockholders weren't very happy about it) i'd say they just aren't building many. Could be popular though...

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Can anyone comment as to what "desktop programs" exactly are not compatabible with the surfact 2 non pro? Would iTunes be included in this catagory? Also, could anyone specify if apps such as netflix, spotify, Sky go media player and viber are available on the microsoft app store currently?

iTunes definitely won't work. Net flix, Viber and Spotify are there i think.

Sky go should work in a browser but i have a full fledge surface so can't check.

subscriber wrote: »
    Can anyone comment as to what "desktop programs" exactly are not compatabible with the surfact 2 non pro? Would iTunes be included in this catagory? Also, could anyone specify if apps such as netflix, spotify, Sky go media player and viber are available on the microsoft app store currently?

iTunes is a .exe

.exe files will NOT work on an RT tablet.

Anything that is available in the MS App Store will work. But it has to be an actual app, not just a link to 3rd party software. If it installs directly from the windows store, it will install on RT.

Thanks, so What media system does the surface 2 use to store and play my music? Is it the traditional windows media player?

I also presume whatever built in media player there is will also be responsible for playing videos from an external hardrive?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Thanks, so What media system does the surface 2 use to store and play my music? Is it the traditional windows media player?

I also presume whatever built in media player there is will also be responsible for playing videos from an external hardrive?

Windows media player is there, there is also the music app and video app. They deal with media stored on the internal storage and external storage.

Not sure if there is anyone from Galway on this thread or not but i have tried PC world, curries, DID electrical and expert electrical to see if i can get a demo of the surface 2 non pro with no sucess as yet..

Only surface on display anywhere in Galway is the Pro 3 to my disappointment..

Anyone have suggestions on where i can phyiscally see the device in my hands in around the Connaught area before i buy it?

Also, any signs of Microsoft releasing a surface 3 non pro? The 12" screen in the RT platform wud be absolutely ideal...

unlikely. the RT was an interesting concept but RT device sales never really took off that much, they made a substatial loss on the original RT and I'm not sure about the surface 2 but it probably wasn't too much better. Its still a good tablet, I use my RT for light reading and browsing in my bedroom and such, when pulling out the laptop or firing up the big rig feels like an awful lot of overkill to google something with, it probably gets used an hour a day or less and holds a charge for around a week, the surface 2 would fare even better

Was finally ready this week to purchase the surface 2 but it is not in stock on the microsoft website. Dont paticulary want to buy from a retail outlet because they mark up the price by about 60 euros. Rang microsoft there to inquire about when they will be back in stock but they couldnt give me an answer. I also asked if yhey are being discontinued and they also couldnt answer this. Has anyone heard if they are being discontinued? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Was finally ready this week to purchase the surface 2 but it is not in stock on the microsoft website. Dont paticulary want to buy from a retail outlet because they mark up the price by about 60 euros. Rang microsoft there to inquire about when they will be back in stock but they couldnt give me an answer. I also asked if yhey are being discontinued and they also couldnt answer this. Has anyone heard if they are being discontinued? Thanks

The Microsoft store in the US have stopped stocking the Surface Pro 2 (not sure about the Windows RT model) as they are fully concentrating on the Surface Pro 3.

The implication is that it is end of sales for the particular device.

The Microsoft store in the US have stopped stocking the Surface Pro 2 (not sure about the Windows RT model) as they are fully concentrating on the Surface Pro 3.

The implication is that it is end of sales for the particular device.

Thanks, im just going to have to try hunt down one of the last remaining few units out there if I can. Arent all surface 2 non prob tabs running on the RT platform? Not possible to upgrade to windows 8 on them ? They have built in flash player dont they?

can anyone think of any UK retailers that may still have a surface 2 in stock? Argos.co.uk still have some i stock but wont deliver to the republic..

Anywhere else i can try?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

can anyone think of any UK retailers that may still have a surface 2 in stock? Argos.co.uk still have some i stock but wont deliver to the republic..

Anywhere else i can try?

I got one from ms UK store last week, delivered on friday. Not sure which models were in stock but I got the 64gb with lte.

Ostrom wrote: »
    I got one from ms UK store last week, delivered on friday. Not sure which models were in stock but I got the 64gb with lte.

Thanks, lte version is over my budget though.. just looking for the standard 64gb without sim compatibility..

• Advertisement

Hello again everyone,

Finally got my hands on a surface 2 non pro and have been using it now for the last three days, I have to say with the exception of the speakers, its a cracking device and wins over my previous android tab hands down.

I'm looking for a little help with a few questions I have in relation to a few of the common apps... some more trivial than others!!!

Viber:

My pre-existing viber profile photo that I had does not appear on my end of conversations any more, but appears as normal to others receiving my conversation comments?? Why is this??

New contacts of ppl I know have appeared in my viber contacts list despite NOT having been friends with them before and despite NOT having added them on any social platform including facebook, email, viber, skype ect... where on earth did they come from and how are did they appear in my viber contacts??

Gmail:

With the exception of using gmail through the internet explorer, what application are ppl using to access their gmail from their surface desktop? I have been using the preinstalled app simply named "mail". Although the app allows me to view mail, it does not allow me to access any of my email contacts.. if I wish to send an email to a contact stored in my gamil acc, I must send the email through gmail in my browser!! I have tried adding contacts to the app "mail" but it redirects me to another preinstalled microsoft app called "people" but this has just displayed a message of "synchronising" for the past three days but has yet to actually import any contacts from gmail??

Facebook Messenger:

The messenger app from facebook does not seem to be available in the microsoft app store, id imagine it is just not readily available for the surface tab. Grand, but what other instant messanger app can be used in conjunction with facebook to handle facebook mail? I'm finding it a right pain in the arse having to browse facebook and handle mail within the same application.. I tried using an app named "IM" Instant messenger but alas, it wudnt work. Any suggestions??

The surface came with 1 years free premium skype but im not sure exactly what this entitles me to? In what way is this different to using regular free skype video chat? Also, there seems to be two preinstalled skype apps on my desktop.. skype regular and skype wifi.. what's the difference between the two and is it worth syncing my skype acc with both these applications?

One Drive:

only question here is that I was wondering if I can now use my new one drive acc to back up files from my old laptop if I access the acc on it or is one drive only compatible to back up memory from my new surface tab?

Live tiles:

Again, a short question. When I hold down on an app on the start screen, it gives me the option of turning a love tile on or off. If I turn a live tile off, does this prevent me from getting instant updates from that app to my device?

Recent Tabs:

Wen swiping from the left of the screen at any time, it shows all recently used applications and windows. Is there any way of closing these recently used windows otherwise id imagine they are running in the background using physical memory.. not ideal. I do not seem to be able to close them...

A few trivial questions I know but id still like to sort out these few things for the sake of ease and enjoyment of everyday use...

If anyone can shine a bit of light on this, id appreciate it.

Advertisement