Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ciarán Kilkenny - hurling?

• 24-09-2013 9:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know how good he actually is or where he plays? Now that he has an All-Ireland football medal in the bag I am wondering will he consider giving a bit of time to the county hurlers over the next few years. We've heard he is a good hurler but how good & what position would he play?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

He's very good and anytime I've seen him he's been a half forward. It's impossible to play both hurling at football at senior inter county level now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

He is a very special hurler an not that unbelievable of a footballer but it shows what people in capital think of the small ball that he is playing football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

He'll play inter-county hurling for Dublin at senior level yet so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I'd say he's not 100% satisfied with the football All-Ireland as it coincided with probably his worst performance of the year.
    He has great talent in the football and could well win All-Stars in future years if he keeps going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

He's a better footballer than hurler from what I have seen and I would say he will want to play a few more years with the footballers before he considers switching especially after being taken off in an all ireland final you'd want to feel your team won an all ireland final because of your performance not in spite of it.

Don't see any reason why he couldnt do both.It would be alot easier for him being from Dublin and surely the maangers could come to an agreement for the good of both teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Past30Now

He has stated clearly that he wants to play both codes at the highest level.

He was exceptional at both as a minor. He played midfield for both club and county at minor level in hurling, but has also played half forward in hurling for the club. He'll play a fair few games for the club in both hurling and football in the coming weeks, and I'd guess he'll play in midfield for both teams.

If it's possible to play both codes at senior inter-county level, then assuming the managers can come to an agreement, he'll do it for the next couple of years while he's in college. There is no better time than now to give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Does he not still play the odd hurling match with the under-21s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Comordha wrote: »
    Does anybody know how good he actually is or where he plays? Now that he has an All-Ireland football medal in the bag I am wondering will he consider giving a bit of time to the county hurlers over the next few years. We've heard he is a good hurler but how good & what position would he play?

He's good but he will possibly struggle to develop playing at Junior level in Dublin, to be honest. A friend of mine was detailed, along with another guy, to double mark him for a whole game, just do everything they can to negate him. This mate played inter-county hurling at a low level himself in his prime. Kilkenny was still totally dominant. So he obviously has talent but it might plateau if he doesn't seek out bigger challenges and top-level opposition. What's Castleknock's highest team? Presume it's the junior if he's playing for them? That said they are a club that are very much going places, great new facilities, underage structures, they are a model of how a young club should be run, so he might be on the right train really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Past30Now

He's good but he will possibly struggle to develop playing at Junior level in Dublin, to be honest. A friend of mine was detailed, along with another guy, to double mark him for a whole game, just do everything they can to negate him. This mate played inter-county hurling at a low level himself in his prime. Kilkenny was still totally dominant. So he obviously has talent but it might plateau if he doesn't seek out bigger challenges and top-level opposition. What's Castleknock's highest team? Presume it's the junior if he's playing for them? That said they are a club that are very much going places, great new facilities, underage structures, they are a model of how a young club should be run, so he might be on the right train really.

Castleknock currently play intermediate football and hurling AHL3 and AFL3. They qualified for the play-offs for promotion to AFL2 on Sunday. Hopefully we'll be a senior football club within a few weeks. Castleknock were founded in 1998 and are flying. Huge numbers at underage levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I'm not sure playing for a junior club matters that much any more once you have made the Dublin panel. Most of the players only play championship with their clubs (which might only be one game) and maybe the last two league games and wouldn;t be training with the club while Dublin are in the championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Past30Now wrote: »
    Castleknock currently play intermediate football and hurling AHL3 and AFL3. They qualified for the play-offs for promotion to AFL2 on Sunday. Hopefully we'll be a senior football club within a few weeks. Castleknock were founded in 1998 and are flying. Huge numbers at underage levels.

Yeah are very much a role model club for new clubs coming up. Good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

He is a very special hurler an not that unbelievable of a footballer but it shows what people in capital think of the small ball that he is playing football

How many games have you seen him play live in both codes in order to reach that clear conclusion?

Advertisement