Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unhelpful 'gendering' of social issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Rhotheta

In fairness...it's kind of a running joke which George feeds himself, be it his obsession with bounty bars, his age, decongestants that knock him out...or ''the lovely Ingred''...all tongue in cheek stuff.

Ivan Yates regularly throws out some of the most un PC comments ever on News Talk and even adds a little chuckle at the end for effect, again, all tongue in cheek stuff:)

Yes but if George was Georgia making fun of her appearance would the copresenters laugh along and mock her appearance?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭constance tench

Rhotheta wrote: »
    Yes but if George was Georgia making fun of her appearance would the copresenters laugh along and mock her appearance?

Don't get me wrong, I do agree with your general point...I have heard wives being slagged on the show and others have joined the banter, everybody being aware that's all it is, banter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Came across this on Reddit, very good watch I have to say, figure some here may appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Windy Bum

What? Is he only talking about statutory "rape"? That's hardly "rape" is it. It doesn't compare to having your anus literally torn open like many US prisoners have experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Mod: Windy Bum banned for trolling - all, please refrain from responding to any posts from this user

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I just found this article
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/teenage-thugs-target-gay-and-drunk-men-in-alleys-30220912.html

Isn't it disgraceful that the Gardai are warning drunk and gay men to be conscious of their safety? Surely this is victim blaming at work. The Gardai should be focussing on the perpetrators of the violence and ensuring that all teenage Romanians are held accountable for this violence.*

*please make sure you understand what this thread is about before reporting this post

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Romanians, don't assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Interesting article here on a case of domestic violence
    tech entrepreneur has opened up about the shocking beatings he allegedly suffered at the hands of his ex-girlfriend in an effort to make the subject of domestic abuse against men less taboo.
    A San Francisco tech entrepreneur has opened up about the shocking beatings he allegedly suffered at the hands of his ex-girlfriend in an effort to make the subject of domestic abuse against men less taboo.
    Ben Way, 33, claims, in an article published online Tuesday, that he was punched in the jaw, bitten, scratched, stabbed in the foot with a stiletto and struck in the genitals during the attacks.
    Some nights, he told MailOnline, he even 'hid the knives' in the apartment the couple shared for fear his partner would take things further.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I just found this article
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/teenage-thugs-target-gay-and-drunk-men-in-alleys-30220912.html

Isn't it disgraceful that the Gardai are warning drunk and gay men to be conscious of their safety? Surely this is victim blaming at work. The Gardai should be focussing on the perpetrators of the violence and ensuring that all teenage Romanians are held accountable for this violence.*

*please make sure you understand what this thread is about before reporting this post

I don't agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭iptba

Piliger wrote: »
    I don't agree.
    He's being sarcastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

iptba wrote: »
    He's being sarcastic.

Are you sure ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

Piliger wrote: »
    Are you sure ?

It's a reference to that infamous article that did the rounds a short while ago, reply from Pepe LeFrits adds a bit more context.

Quite a good tongue in cheek reversal that illustrates just how ludicrous that article was

• Registered Users Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭iptba

The Irish Times gives another feminist a platform today:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/why-we-need-feminism-women-deserve-respect-1.1820643

One can comment underneath and quite a lot of people have already.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

The constant reference to how a successful woman looks sends the message that, whatever a woman achieves, her primary use is to serve a man sexually.

She seems to be blaming page 3 for how us men view women by their looks. Sweet lord have you seen any of those magazines for women?!? Spend a few minutes on the Daily Mail app or site and you will see countless articles and comments by women about women and what the are wearing, how slim they are and how good/bad they look.

Whenever the "women's looks are treated as important" stuff comes up I invite that person to watch Mock the Week or HIGNFY to see how any guy who looks out of the ordinary is treated.

The Irish Times gives another feminist a platform today:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/why-we-need-feminism-women-deserve-respect-1.1820643

One can comment underneath and quite a lot of people have already.
    Perfectly reasonable article in my opinion, and I agree with most of it. The media (and thus the public in general) does give far too much weight to a woman's appearance than it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Perfectly reasonable article in my opinion, and I agree with most of it. The media (and thus the public in general) does give far too much weight to a woman's appearance than it should.

If the media are simply supplying to the demand of the public then is it really a problem? If it is a problem then what is the solution? Limiting what the media can print would effectively be censorship.

We know that obesity is a massive problem, we know that fast food producers are supplying to the demand of the public. We know that this food is not helping the obesity issue however as a society we do not restrict the fast food producers in how much they can supply because we respect the right to free will of citizens to eat whatever crap that is unhealthy for them, if such citizens are irresponsible enough to eat themselves into ill health (and I am speaking as a fatboy myself here) then that is the consequences of their actions and that is their right if they so choose.

Being an adult makes you responsible for your own actions. It is not up to the government or the media or anyone else to make your decisions for you and handhold you through life. Make it a requirement to list all nutrional values on food is fine, that is making the information available for a person to make an informed choice but I do not believe in a nanny state that puts restrictions on fast food or the media because the government does not respect the free will of its citizens or the fact the responsibility is with the citizens themselves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

There are some good points raised but the article is very girl focused while not really acknowledging the overall problem. For example
    'In Ireland 52 per cent of women avoid certain areas for fear of being assaulted.'

I would question this as I would think everyone knows of certain areas that they prefer not to place themselves for reasons of personal safety.

Also blaming the media for the lack of female sports stars is not really fair. Where Irish people have met success in sports everyone gets behind them regardless of their gender or even the sport. A demand needs to exist for the everyday stories for the papers to publish them.

I was also struck by this quote

'Young girls are only presented with one kind of body, the size zero kind. They don’t see sports stars or even women politicians, or women world leaders as often as they see models.'

This comment is a sad reflection on parenting and the educational system rather than the media. If you read rag source then expect to get rag information.

Maguined wrote: »
    If the media are simply supplying to the demand of the public then is it really a problem? If it is a problem then what is the solution? Limiting what the media can print would effectively be censorship.
    Well, I don't think they are, which I guess is the fundamental point of contention - neither myself or the author believe that the media is solely responding to demand; it's shaping it too.

I don't believe think was any call in the article for a legislative intervention, which I'd oppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Well, I don't think they are, which I guess is the fundamental point of contention - neither myself or the author believe that the media is solely responding to demand; it's shaping it too.

I don't believe think was any call in the article for a legislative intervention, which I'd oppose.

Even if they are creating a demand is that in itself a problem or a bad thing? Any business wants to increase its demand and they cannot actually brainwash people into wanting their product. Any advertising is shaping it's demand and again cannot force someone to buy the product. Sure I might see an advert on TV for a mars bar and decide I have not had a mars bar in ages so go out and purchase one so that advert created a demand for their product but it wasn't forced on me, they present and option and I choose whether to buy it or not. Free will is still there and with it the responsibility of the individual.

If you oppose leglislation then do you have any ideas on what a solution to this problem is? There are numerous articles like this all the time speaking about the negative effects about the objectification of women. I don't see the point of the articles because they never suggest a solution

The articles themselves are the solution; you change attitudes and views by talking about them.

If the media is reinforcing negative attitudes then it is a problem, yes. We all have free will but media influences and I don't see a problem with calling on them to use that influence more positively occasionally.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Some of that are magazines written by women for women though. I'm not saying that Page 3s, Hollywood, the music industry etc are doing women any favours but from what I've read of theses things, there are significant amounts of space dedicated to which celebrities have gained weight, lost weight, may be or are having children and what they're wearing.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

If the media is reinforcing negative attitudes then it is a problem, yes. We all have free will but media influences and I don't see a problem with calling on them to use that influence more positively occasionally.

It is impossible though. Were we to eradicate titties from all publications in Ireland one would just log onto the Daily Sport website (or other foreign channel) for their news.

My biggest gripe in Ireland is the poor quality of the serious mainstream media. For example bbc.co.uk is a serious site full of news but when you log onto rte.ie the right half of the screen is taken up with celebrity nonsense. The celebrity portion is interactive where people can comment and discuss the news portion does not allow discussion. Even the Times which would be considered the paper of choice has printed some very questionable articles in the last couple of years.

I currently get most of my news from BBC and boards:eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The UK media's pretty woeful as well, PR. The BBC is the lesser of several evils though I've seen them do the odd piece which may not have been completely impartial. I tend to use the BBC in conjunction with boards as well as I like to know what's going on in Ireland despite not living there anymore.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Oh I agree completely ACD but rte and bbc can be directly compared as they are both state news agencies with license fee. You would expect a higher standard from rte.

Oh I agree completely ACD but rte and bbc can be directly compared as they are both state news agencies with license fee. You would expect a higher standard from rte.

It could be about cash. I know that it's ridiculous to say that RTE's too skint to put a comments section on both the celebrity nonsense and actual news but it does have a much smaller pool of licence fees to draw on and it exports barely any programmes that I am aware of. Then again, it does have the advertising revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I like the point the article was making with regards to the over sexualisation of women when talking about Miley Cyrus. I think how she has transformed from an extremely popular children's TV presenter and icon into a highly sexually charged, stripping, drug taking woman is terrible. Its such a dark and weird thing for a girl today to grow up seeing.

I do think she has missed the essence of the truth in her points against the media. There are certain aspects of our gender we can never equalize with feminism or laws or values or whatever.
    Women in the main buy those magazines that portray those zero size women. Most men couldn't care less about OK, Closer ect.
    If as many women watched women's rugby as men watched men's rugby, both sports would be equally as popular. That's never going to happen though.
    These two things cannot be blamed on anything beyond the general fact that women judge how other woman look far more than men and women follow and watch rugby far less than men.

It is impossible though. Were we to eradicate titties from all publications in Ireland one would just log onto the Daily Sport website (or other foreign channel) for their news.
    I don't think it's impossible, it'll just be slow to change.
    Some of that are magazines written by women for women though. I'm not saying that Page 3s, Hollywood, the music industry etc are doing women any favours but from what I've read of theses things, there are significant amounts of space dedicated to which celebrities have gained weight, lost weight, may be or are having children and what they're wearing.
    I agree and there will always be a place for this sort of stuff. I don't particularly have any gripe with these magazines obsessing over the appearance of your reality TV contestants, models etc because the looks, style, sexuality etc of these individuals are their trade; male or female.

What bugs is me when someone like Hilary Clinton or say, Sarah Millican gets reduced in this way; women whose looks are completely irrelevant to what they do. It shouldn't be considered acceptable; magazines of course should have the right to publish trash about women like this but they should get absolutely pilloried for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

If as many women watched women's rugby as men watched men's rugby, both sports would be equally as popular. That's never going to happen though.
    These two things cannot be blamed on anything beyond the general fact that women judge how other woman look far more than men and women follow and watch rugby far less than men.

If as many women watched womens sport as they do mens sport, it would go a long way towards making womens sport more popular.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement