Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit Refund

Options
  • 24-09-2013 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

I am vacating a rented property soon. It is managed by an agent who will come on the move out day to inspect it and do meter readings etc. I expected to receive my deposit back the same day, but now he tells me that it will be posted to me three days after we move out. Is this normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

yes its normal. Unfortunately.

I see no reason why a deposit shouldn't be returned on the day. If bills are in the tenants name then no outstanding bills can be of concern to the LL.

The EA is there on behalf of the LL and should check the property throughout for any issues. If one is seen afterwards that's their own issue they should have checked properly in the first instance.

The lack of a deposit being returned on the day IMO leads to "deposits being withheld for damage" people find it much easier to tell somebody down the phone or via text that X is being deducted for some fanciful reason (insert painting, carpet cleaning etc etc)

The system is a joke, and not one single TD has the cop on to try and sort out the elephant in the room that is deposit retention.

Anyway rant over back to the question yes its normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Very few LL/agents give deposits back in cash and the delay might mean you are probably getting a cheque. What's stopping you saying you never got your deposit back if the agents gives you the deposit in cash. A cheque means the agent has evidence he returned your deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

D3PO wrote: »
    yes its normal. Unfortunately.

I see no reason why a deposit shouldn't be returned on the day. If bills are in the tenants name then no outstanding bills can be of concern to the LL.

The EA is there on behalf of the LL and should check the property throughout for any issues. If one is seen afterwards that's their own issue they should have checked properly in the first instance.

The lack of a deposit being returned on the day IMO leads to "deposits being withheld for damage" people find it much easier to tell somebody down the phone or via text that X is being deducted for some fanciful reason (insert painting, carpet cleaning etc etc)

The system is a joke, and not one single TD has the cop on to try and sort out the elephant in the room that is deposit retention.

Anyway rant over back to the question yes its normal

If there was a deposit scheme with the PRTB. If you moved out, you would be lucky to get your deposit back within 6 months. They are one of the slowest state agencies in Ireland and love red tape for no particular reason. They are going to be unprofessional landlords they will exploit people. But their is doctors, lawyers and Policitians who all exploit people. It's not just landlords who do it

hfallada wrote: »
    Very few LL/agents give deposits back in cash and the delay might mean you are probably getting a cheque. What's stopping you saying you never got your deposit back if the agents gives you the deposit in cash. A cheque means the agent has evidence he returned your deposit.

whats to say you gave a deposit in the first place. A receipt so its very easy to replicate that when returning the deposit aswell.

hfallada wrote: »
    If there was a deposit scheme with the PRTB. If you moved out, you would be lucky to get your deposit back within 6 months. They are one of the slowest state agencies in Ireland and love red tape for no particular reason. They are going to be unprofessional landlords they will exploit people. But their is doctors, lawyers and Policitians who all exploit people. It's not just landlords who do it

Nowhere did I mention or even suggest the PRTB hold deposits. A little out of the box thinking would easily put a solution in place if there was a will to do it. Unfortunately that will doesn't exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

DoctorBoo wrote: »
    I am vacating a rented property soon.
    Tidy the place nicely. Take time-stamped photos of the place, with the days newspaper visible in all of them, to prove it was taken that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DoctorBoo

Thanks guys. I just wanted to know if it was standard practice. We are leaving the place early because it was substandard and the agent has agreed to this, but I just wanted to be sure that it wasn't a tactic to retain the deposit.
    I don't think the return of the deposit should be delayed at all, seeing as the tenants will most likely need it immediately for the new place. If the agent/landlord is happy on the day with the condition of the property, then why not give you a cheque for the deposit there and then?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DoctorBoo

the_syco wrote: »
    Tidy the place nicely. Take time-stamped photos of the place, with the days newspaper visible in all of them, to prove it was taken that day.

I wil certainly do this. I've done the same to document the problems since we moved in.

Advertisement