Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Liverpool Match Thread 25/9/2013. League Cup. *MOD NOTE POST 325

• 24-09-2013 10:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭

................................Manchester-United-vs-Liverpool2.jpg................................

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

early with this one

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Both teams will lose 5-0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

5starpool wrote: »
    Both teams will lose 5-0.

no, both teams will WIN 5-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Pressure is all on moyes and united thankfully for us, no better game for suarez to return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Massive game for Moyes.

Will be really interesting to see what team he goes with.

Needs the win, but also there are a load of players that need some time on the pitch - Kagawa, Nani, Hernandez, Rafael, Evans, Anderson, Zaha. Adnan Januzaj could do with some time as well (and a newly signed contract....)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Massive game for Moyes.

Don't think it is at all. It's the League Cup, way, way down his list of priorities and while he might be under a bit of pressure after a poor enough start, I still don't think he'll field a full strength team.

Indeed if he did put out his first XI, it would be a big risk. It's one thing losing with kids in a competition you don't care about, another thing entirely to be beaten at home with your strongest team by your fiercest rivals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

United where shocking on Sunday, wouldn't be surprised if Luis did a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

A bit of pressure on BR after the last 135 minutes of Liverpool football as well tbf.

But yeah, Moyes obviously has it worse at the moment.

Don't think it is at all. It's the League Cup, way, way down his list of priorities and while he might be under a bit of pressure after a poor enough start, I still don't think he'll field a full strength team.

Indeed if he did put out his first XI, it would be a big risk. It's one thing losing with kids in a competition you don't care about, another thing entirely to be beaten at home with your strongest team by your fiercest rivals.

We drew at home to Chelsea.
    Lost away to Liverpool.
    Got humiliated and hammered away to City.

Regardless of this being the League Cup, it is Liverpool at home. He has to beat a rival at some point. the longer he goes without getting it done the bigger an issue it becomes. The longer it goes without putting in a decent performance in these games the worse the issue becomes too.

As for it only being the league cup - quite frankly I don't think Moyes can afford to take that attitude. Moyes doesn't have a winning record, trophy wise. He is not a proven winner. He needs to win trophies to justify his role as United manager. League cup may be a low priority, but winning it gives him time and an argument.

There is also the argument that he has been cautious and negative in the opening 5 league games - he either needs to start showing something more, or we accept that he is attempting to turn United into a boring hoof ball team playing the most basic style/method of football. Tomorrow night is as good a chance as any for Moyes to lay down a marker/make a statement on a number of issues; from tactics through to attitude and player selection.

If both teams bring their weekend form into this game it could be the worst game ever, albeit settled by an excellent free kick winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Liverpool have started the EPL so far above expectations and Utd are playing below expectations, the pressure is on Moyes here but Rodgers will want to go to OT and if they cant win at least make a good go at it as I'm sure hes expecting Utd to bounce back after the derby defeat.

If Suarez is raring to go it could be a tough night for Utd but theyve superior options then Liverpool if Moyes and Rodgers both change from their usual best XI.

Utd win tonight for me.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Liverpool have started the EPL so far above expectations and Utd are playing below expectations, the pressure is on Moyes here but Rodgers will want to go to OT and if they cant win at least make a good go at it as I'm sure hes expecting Utd to bounce back after the derby defeat.

If Suarez is raring to go it could be a tough night for Utd but theyve superior options then Liverpool if Moyes and Rodgers both change from their usual best XI.

Utd win tonight for me.

You are 100% wrong. How can you come on here and have an opinion so wrong? It's amazing.

The game is tomorrow night ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

It's Moyes' best shot at a trophy this season, he needs to go out and win tomorrow night.

It's Moyes' best shot at a trophy this season, he needs to go out and win tomorrow night.

Would also question the posters last point.

If Moyes went with kids simply because he was afraid of losing at home with his strongest 11 - what the feck does that say about 1. Moyes 2. The United team 3. Moyes' faith and opinion of the United team.

You are 100% wrong. How can you come on here and have an opinion so wrong? It's amazing.

The game is tomorrow night ;)

Ooohhhh yaaa.

Swindon v Chelsea on T.V. tomight Utd v Pool tomorrow night, wooops. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Bowlardo wrote: »
    early with this one

It's United vs Liverpool,what's the bets it'll be locked early too:pac:

People saying all the pressure is on Moyes are talking nonsense. Pressure on Rodgers and Liverpool too not to lose this.

Liverpool are only in for two competitions this year and with no European football should be targeting this trophy.

Utd aren't a team to be feared atm but neither are Liverpool! Could go anyway but Utd obviously favourites with home advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

I 4-1 am looking forward to this game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Aw is your mammy letting you stay up late to watch it? That's nice of her

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Come on Liverpool!

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    Aw is your mammy letting you stay up late to watch it? That's nice of her

He'll get the watch some of the first half. Has to be in bed by 20:18.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I doubt he gives a **** about that one.

Well done. Respond to a City fan with a Liverpool jibe. Great research done there Mitch.

This has been dealt with, rest of you back on topic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

United 3-0. Young hattrick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Well done. Respond to a City fan with a Liverpool jibe. Great research done there Mitch.

Is he a City fan?

All I know of him (from the boxing forum) is he is a Mayweather fan :)

This game is a little bit of a little to win but plenty to lose for Moyes I feel, if we do win, and I think we will, well its not exactly going to be a shock. We are a better team, its just about getting out there and showing it. Being up for it from the off

However if we lose the guy will get a battering, if we put out a close to our first XI team and still lose it would be even worse!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

FutureGuy wrote: »

Hattrick of dives maybe :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Dcully wrote: »
    Hattrick of dives maybe :P

From the bench. I'm sure he even dives in the dressing room when any defender walks near him :pac:

FutureGuy wrote: »

Before the weekend gone I would have said you're having a laugh but I've seen Mikel score a goal in the EPL so anything is possible from this point on.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Man U have to be strong favourites for this, and would be a bit of an upset if they lost.

A poor result against City and a slow start to the season should not fool people into thinking that Man U are anything but one of the best teams in England.

Have seen far too many seasons where Man U started slowly, and were written off early, for me to buy into the annual mantra of how this is the season Man U come crashing down the league table.

Am obviously very biased in terms of who I want to see win the game, but not for a moment do I see Liverpool as anything other than underdogs in this clash.

Going to go with it being 2-2 after 90 minutes, and then will clutch at a few straws and go with Liverpool winning on pens after a scoreless period of extra time ( am assuming the game has to have a winner on the night and no replays)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I can see pool going with a full strength team and united going for a half and half which will be a stronger team team then the ones he's put out this season

Would love pool to inflict more misery on moyes but i reckon united will win.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I expect a poor, cautious game, 1-0 United..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

i hope we get back to passing the ball in the next few games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

He returns

273106.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Moyes will unintentionally play close to his strongest team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Gonna go with 4-0 to Liverpool or 4-0 to Liverpool.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

and I thought I was bad at Photoshop....pheeew

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

5-0 Liverpool, Kolo Toure hattrick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

LFC 2-1 victory in 90mins & Suarez with both goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

could be drivvel,could be great .. i dont care as long as pool win,not expecting a win mind you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

barone wrote: »
    could be drivvel,could be great .. i dont care as long as pool win,not expecting a win mind you

You are set up for every scenario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

massive photoshop fail. omg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

As for it only being the league cup - quite frankly I don't think Moyes can afford to take that attitude. Moyes doesn't have a winning record, trophy wise. He is not a proven winner. He needs to win trophies to justify his role as United manager. League cup may be a low priority, but winning it gives him time and an argument.

BF1ZclzCUAA5XDQ.jpg:large

This proves you wrong.

Can't really lose tomorrow night. Win and we beat the mancs at home, lose and our piss weak squad plays less games.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Sparks43 wrote: »
    He returns

273106.png

Quite possibly the worst photoshopping I've ever seen. Outstanding.

Going to go for a cagey 8-8 draw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

Any idea of possible lineups? I reckon Liverpool will be pretty much first XI, dont reckon they have many other players to start than the first choice.

Mignolet
    Kelly
    Sakho
    Toure
    Enrique
    Gerrard
    Lucas
    Henderson
    Suarez
    Moses
    Sturridge

Subs: Jones, Skrtel, Wisdom, Sterling, Alberto, Aspas, Ibe

Possibly the worst bench in the history of Liverpool allowing for injuries to Allen, Cissokho, Coutinho and Agger

United is a lot more difficult to predict. I would imagine that there would be a share of rotation but its hard to say what side will play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Lucas Leiva to score in the 85th minute, with DeGea equalising after Moyes tells him to go up, go up, go up. Michael Carrick will be as handsome as ever. One of the teams will win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its effectively a free game for Liverpool, and I don't care what anyone else thinks. All the pressure is on Moyes, Utd are lucky enough that the next league game is against West Brom who have only beaten Di Canios Sunderland so far which doesn't really count for anything much, so they can put out a strong squad if they wish without it costing much.

For Liverpool its about Suarez really, if he has a good game there is a decent chance of a win. I just hope there is at least one full back on the pitch. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Rega

Grayditch wrote: »
    Lucas Leiva to score in the 85th minute, with DeGea equalising after Moyes tells him to go up, go up, go up. Michael Carrick will be as handsome as ever. One of the teams will win.

That's ridiculous. It's the stupidest prediction I ever heard.

Suarez scores twice, bites the football and racially abuses the corner flag before getting a 12 match ban and a new contract.

Rooney scores twice, hands in a transfer request which he then denies before signing a new contract.

Rodgers talks about the project while subtly pointing to his new slim waistline and oh-so-white choppers.

Moyes straightens his tinfoil hat and accuses the UN and NATO of fixing the fixture list against him.

The fans of both clubs protest against their American owners but stop when they announce a brand new 4th kit to be worn only in December against Stoke if it's snowing.

Jim White interviews Harry Redknapp through the drivers window of his car asking him his plans for the next three transfer windows. Redknapp takes umbrage to the idea he's a wheeler-dealer manager before offering to take White's Skoda as part exchange for Clint Hill.

Robbie Keane joins Cruz Azul and says he's supported the Mexicans since he was a little boy in Tallaght. His agent struggles to suppress a fit of giggles. He scores twice against New Caledonia and is declared Ireland's greatest ever player before drawing a blank against Kenya and returning to being selfish and shíte and a moaning bollox.

Football then eats itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Heading over to this, don't really care about the result. Don't think there is any pressure on Moyes. I will treat it the same way as Chelsea knocked us out last year if it happens. I'm more interested in the team selection. Hopefully see Jan, Nani, Kaga and Hernandez start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

aramush wrote: »
    5-0 Liverpool, Kolo Toure hattrick.

A backheel, a scissor kick and to round it off an overhead kick BUT he is in no way showing off.
    Hard game to call when you don't know what kind of teams they will pick/how seriously they'll take it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement