Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Liverpool Match Thread 25/9/2013. League Cup. *MOD NOTE POST 325

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

zerks wrote: »
    Quick question,when Giggs left the ball after getting a call from Suarez should that not have been a free for unsporting behaviour?

I saw it happen in a game I played in and the guy that made the call actually got booked.

I can't recall it happening before in a professional match.

Speaking of Suarez,it's reported this morning that he's gone for emergency surgery to have Martin Tyler's tongue removed from his arse.:pac:

Giggs should have been send off for persistent fouling and then his blatant handball.
    Ref bottled it.

Anyone got a link to Rodgers interview Btw.

Missed it after the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Where did you read that? RAWK? Because that's probably the only place you would find such a deluded and inaccurate assessment of the match.

Wouldn't reckon richie would be the type to read RAWK now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

jamaamaj wrote: »
    I think you'll find that Redcafe is as deluded or more.

Your fan site is worse than our fan site
    LOL :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

Your fan site is worse than our fan site
    LOL :)

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Sky actually had the possession at 51% - 49% to the pool.

Is that meant to disprove the possession was spread PRETTY evenly?

Does it not show it was PRETTY even?

From memory

DDG - 18
    Raf - 1.8
    Smalling - 10
    Evans - free
    Buttner - 5
    Nani - 17
    Jones - 16.5
    Giggs - free
    Kagawa - 12
    Rooney - 27
    Hernandez - 7.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

kryogen wrote: »
    Is that meant to disprove the possession was spread PRETTY evenly?

Does it not show it was PRETTY even?

I figured they were just giving the info, rather than refuting the comment that it was even.

That midfield pairing of Gerrard and Lucas must be very concerning for Liverpool fans? They were awful against Southampton and just as bad last night.
    After all the worrying United fans were doing before the game over Giggs and Jones, they were never really tested properly.

Gerrard can still put in a good performance now and again but seems to be not able for too many consecutive games these days. That injury looks to have destroyed Lucas. He did look to be turning into a player beforehand but he's been very poor in what I've seen him in since coming back.

I figured they were just giving the info, rather than refuting the comment that it was even.

Very possible, the phrase "sky actually had it" appeared to me to be saying otherwise.

Apologies if that wasn't the case

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Great answer. Suck it up, take it on the chin. You know the drill ;)

The 2 lads along like clockwork to thank your post. Man this place is so predictable :D

Same can be applied to your post, though you're missing some re-reg buddies thanking it, but sure, give it time. ;)
    That midfield pairing of Gerrard and Lucas must be very concerning for Liverpool fans?

Given you read the Liverpool thread, you already know the answer to this :)

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Same can be applied to your post, though you're missing some re-reg buddies thanking it, but sure, give it time. ;)

Given you read the Liverpool thread, you already know the answer to this :)
    You're first point has nothing to do with my point, you obviously know more about re-reg posters than me so, I don't know of any, maybe I've better things to be doing than worrying about who used to be who...

As for reading the Liverpool thread, it's not nearly as much as you would like to think. Maybe answer my question or ignore it, up to you.
    I've not seen it discussed anywhere, take from that what you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Asked a rational question and got the usual biased smart assed replies,typical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Quick question,when Giggs left the ball after getting a call from Suarez should that not have been a free for unsporting behaviour?

I saw it happen in a game I played in and the guy that made the call actually got booked.

is this honestly a serious question?

i'd confidently say that calls from opposition players happen all the time.

being booked for it would be beyond precious.

seriously, do you really think anyone should be booked for that?

SlickRic wrote: »
    is this honestly a serious question?

i'd confidently say that calls from opposition players happen all the time.

being booked for it would be beyond precious.
    It would be beyond normal alright. It's still against the rules afaik. Probably happens all the time.
    I've been booked for it on more than one occasion :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It would be beyond normal alright. It's still against the rules afaik. Probably happens all the time.
    I've been booked for it on more than one occasion :)

people really get booked for it?

fúcking hell.

the game really is pathetic.

fúcking hell.

Possibly my earliest memory in playing football was "call a name".
    You can't say "leave it" or anything like that.

I'm not sure how it goes in professional football, I'm sure it would go in the unsportsmanlike behaviour pile.

fúcking hell.

As I said,never saw it in a pro game,happened in a local league.We even got a bollicking in training for doing it.

It's frowned upon in the game,say for example it happened in the last minute & a player got a "call",left a ball and the opponent scored the winner,there'd be uproar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

fúcking hell.

it is considered unsportsman-like conduct and should be punished with a yellow card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

fúcking hell.

its not a dedicated rule afaik but is kind of covered by unsportsman like conduct but so are a lot of things that are normal occurances if you want to nitpick

some refs are ****ing woeful though as everyone knows. Ive been sent off for absolutely nothing before (catching a ball in my own box as keeper before:rolleyes:)

So nobody knows for definite was it against the rules or not and yet Suarez is being condemned!

We know that if it was an ametuer game though Suarez should have been booked.

Gentleman rules should be reserved for gentlemen I guess. Neither team had many of them I'd imagine. Suarez and Giggs the two involved as well makes it even funnier!

In other news Giggs should be been shown a red for booting the ball away.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

FFS let me get this straight... Suarez calling when behind Giggs is now another stick to beat him with. correct?

wow

I am old enough to remember when this rule was being enforced in Irish leagues (Leinster senior league circa 1995/96 if I remember correctly) and I played during times when you could shout what you wanted, and during times when ref's really enforced the 'must call a name' rule.

It resulted in no more than a free kick.

Agueroooo wrote: »
    FFS let me get this straight... Suarez calling when behind Giggs is now another stick to beat him with. correct?

wow
    I think you'll find someone asked should it have been a yellow card. Don't see anybody beating him with any sticks.

wow

You couldn't make it up.

First time I heard it mentioned on boards regarding a pro game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

http://www.asktheref.com/Soccer%20Rules/Question/26042/
    There is a myth in the game that a name must be used when calling for the ball or calling an instruction to a team mate. Many believe, including some referees, that when a name is not used that it is an offence punishable by an indirect free kick. That is not correct but it does not stop it happening.
    In Law the offence is where a player verally distracts an opponent in a deliberate manner which is a caution and the restart is then an indirect free kick. Examples include shouting "Leave it" to an opponent with the sole intention of deceiving / distracting him into not playing the ball. That is clearly unsporting behaviour which is a caution. On the other hand shouting "Leave it" to a team mate as an instruction is just communication and there is no offence. Same words and it is the context of use that is punished. The use of a name by players eliminates any doubt should an opponent be close or the call for the IDFK with 2 No name Ref" hence coaches, players advise team mates 'to put a name on it' and it does not arise

Mods - probably best to split this out into its own thread

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

http://www.asktheref.com/Soccer%20Rules/Question/26042/

Mods - probably best to split this out into its own thread

no just close the match thread. its gone silly and well past its sbd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Gentlemanly conduct isn't written in the rules of the game for that anymore as far as I've heard, it's unsporting conduct now so that all the not so gentlemanly men in the game don't have an advantage.

If he said "leave it" or "my ball" and the ref determines it as deceiving the opponent he'll give an indirect free kick afaik.

Obviously we don't know what he said but Giggs did step out of the way.

Anyway no point dwelling on it, United go through, and back to concentrating on the league and champions league.

no just close the match thread. its gone silly and well past its sbd
    Nobody is being forced to read it.
    The league game match thread is still open, what went on after that was infinitely worse than this thread.
    It's always the same when United win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

lies! the little red 1 is making me read it

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

so the final score in the match was 1-0 to utd, but whats the final score here, on the forum, where it counts.... ?

• Advertisement

The league game match thread is still open, what went on after that was infinitely worse than this thread.
    It's always the same when United win.

:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

dfx- wrote: »
    I expect a poor, cautious game, 1-0 United..

It was a poor game, but was entertaining.

BMMachine wrote: »
    so the final score in the match was 1-0 to utd, but whats the final score here, on the forum, where it counts.... ?

A score draw, but an aggregate score is now being brought into play! :D

For the record, I couldn't give a flying fanny if Suarez was booked for it or not. Nothing came of it and only one stat mattered to me come the end of the game.

It was something that happened in the match and this is a match discussion thread so what's all the moaning and calls for locking the thread about?

what did suarez supposedly do btw? and does it really mean that much to people?

BMMachine wrote: »
    what did suarez supposedly do btw? and does it really mean that much to people?

There's speculation he may have called the ball and Giggs left it.

Nothing confirmed.

It means a lot to some people.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    There's speculation he may have called the ball and Giggs left it.

Nothing confirmed.

It means a lot to some people.

whatever happened to standards :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Do any of you play football, or what?

Coaches telling players to "Put a name on it" has two reasons for being done.

Firstly it is to stop confusion at defending set-pieces. Instead of shouting "leave it" or "my ball", you shout "Frank's ball", then nobody is in any doubt as to who is challenging. Same as the keeper, the only person on the pitch who should be shouting "KEEPER'S BALL" is the keeper, defenders, midfielders or especially strikers doing it from 70 yards away are being complete idiots.

"Leave it" confuses people - leave it where? For who? It could be an opposition player doing it, as it was last night.

Booking for it is not done any more though, and refs getting cards out at amateur level are being power happy little hitlers.

Here's the original question I asked regarding it,no agenda or asking for cards.I was just wondering if it should have been a free and it seems by the rules of the game it is.http://www.asktheref.com/Soccer%20Rules/Question/26042/

Original post on the incident
    It's against the rules to say leave it or my ball

Looks like he said it there Giggs stepped out of the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Wrong again rarnes

The only ones I see outraged by this are certain Liverpool fans who are imagining this to be another witch hunt against Suarez.:confused:

The only ones I see outraged by this are certain Liverpool fans who are imagining this to be another witch hunt against Suarez.:confused:

Blatent lie but carry on

Wrong again rarnes

Apologies, wasn't a dig at you. It was the first one I seen on the match thread, I remember replying to you at the time.

So nobody knows for definite was it against the rules or not and yet Suarez is being condemned!

Blatant lie??

That amounts to a witchunt?

Stick to the photos Zerks :D

Even your buddie removed his thanks! and back again!

Whens the next game, something properly controversial needs to happen :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Whens the next game, something properly controversial needs to happen :pac:

yeah, the bleedin cheek of Suarez doing that. BAN HIM!!!!12one

yeah, the bleedin cheek of Suarez doing that. BAN HIM!!!!12one

3 months at least!

• Advertisement

That amounts to a witchunt?

Stick to the photos Zerks :D

Even your buddie removed his thanks!

What thanks?,now your delusion is making you see things.I suppose it is your style to twist things to try to make your argument.

As usual you turn a thread into a slagging match so I say "adios"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement