Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Liverpool Match Thread 25/9/2013. League Cup. *MOD NOTE POST 325

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

slingerz wrote: »
    Any idea of possible lineups? I reckon Liverpool will be pretty much first XI, dont reckon they have many other players to start than the first choice.

Mignolet
    Kelly
    Sakho
    Toure
    Enrique
    Gerrard
    Lucas
    Henderson
    Suarez
    Moses
    Sturridge

Subs: Jones, Skrtel, Wisdom, Sterling, Alberto, Aspas, Ibe

Possibly the worst bench in the history of Liverpool allowing for injuries to Allen, Cissokho, Coutinho and Agger

United is a lot more difficult to predict. I would imagine that there would be a share of rotation but its hard to say what side will play

Think Sturridge may be on the bench as he is still not 100% and that one of Gerrard or Lucas will be on the bench as they have each been gassing badly in the second half of games.

Henderson to go into the centre instead of Gerrard or Lucas, and Alberto to take the AM slot would be my guess.

One of Sterling or Aspas to go into the attack with Sturridge out and that would see Suarez most likely in the central striker role unless Rodgers decides to play Aspas in that position.

Kelly is another that may or may not be ready for the game, so that could see Wisdom start at RB.

With Johnson, Agger, Coutinho, Allen, and Cissokho out with injuries, and the trio of Kelly, Sturridge, and Enrique all carrying knocks/still coming back from injury, we are not exactly spoilt for choice in terms of being able to bring a very strong team to OT tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Kess73 wrote: »
    Think Sturridge may be on the bench as he is still not 100% and that one of Gerrard or Lucas will be on the bench as they have each been gassing badly in the second half of games.

Henderson to go into the centre instead of Gerrard or Lucas, and Alberto to take the AM slot would be my guess.

One of Sterling or Aspas to go into the attack with Sturridge out and that would see Suarez most likely in the central striker role unless Rodgers decides to play Aspas in that position.

Kelly is another that may or may not be ready for the game, so that could see Wisdom start at RB.

With Johnson, Agger, Coutinho, Allen, and Cissokho out with injuries, and the trio of Kelly, Sturridge, and Enrique all carrying knocks/still coming back from injury, we are not exactly spoilt for choice in terms of being able to bring a very strong team to OT tonight.

Is Allen definitely still injured? Just havent heard anything re his injury in any of the press conferences or in the press

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Given the way Aspas played first half against Soton, he needs a day off, not a tough away game when he'll see little of the ball.

Suarez central for me, Moses and Sterling either side. Might have to start with Lucas, Stevie and Hendo central, as we are still without Allen and Coutinho. Alberto is not a CM, he doesn't work hard enough yet to play that role as a CM with defending and a #10 when attacking.

Has to be Wisdom, Kelly has nowhere near his sharpness yet, and Wisdom will have a point to prove after losing out to Toure on Sat...

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Liverpool have named essentially their first choice squad, minus Agger for this game. Allen is included and will start if fit I reckon. It will either be Toure/Kelly or Wisdom at full back. I would like it to be Kelly, but suspect it will be Toure again. How I think Liverpool will line out:

Mignolet
    Toure
    Skrtel
    Sakho
    Enrique
    Gerrard
    Allen
    Henderson
    Moses
    Suarez
    Sturridge

It is nearly as strong as they can go at the minute, but I'm still not confident of a positive result. I think Utd will mix and match, bringing in a few fringe players who some are calling to be first team players anyhow. I think Utd will start a team like:

Amos (seems to be first choice backup now?)
    Fabio
    Evans
    Jones (if fit, not sure)
    Smalling
    Carrick
    Cleverly
    Rooney
    Kagawa
    Nani
    Hernandez

It's hard to argue that even on paper that Liverpool lineup is as strong as Utd's with only a few first team regulars, but hopefully it'll be a good game anyhow, one that doesn't go to extra time, and one that is a Liverpool victory. It shows the lack of depth of Liverpool's squad, but obviously with no CL (or real prospects of it) it is difficult to maintain a larger squad with real quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

RasTa wrote: »
    Heading over to this, don't really care about the result. Don't think there is any pressure on Moyes. I will treat it the same way as Chelsea knocked us out last year if it happens. I'm more interested in the team selection. Hopefully see Jan, Nani, Kaga and Hernandez start

Yeah right!

Pull the other one, it's got bells on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭FamousSeamus

I'm unsure about this, I'd like United to win but if Moyes plays youngsters and loses then I wouldn't be too upset. I'm just hoping Moyes changes up the team a bit, start Kagawa and Hernandez would be one, as for pressure on Moyes I dunno it is only the league cup and all that's at stake here would be bragging rights!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Moyes won't play youngsters.

Rodgers won't play a second team.

what Moyes might do is put Rooney on the bench, giving Kagawa a run out. plus he might give Evans, Nani, Chico and Fabio a game.

having said that, i do expect Rooney to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

SlickRic wrote: »
    Moyes won't play youngsters.

Rodgers won't play a second team.

what Moyes might do is put Rooney on the bench, giving Kagawa a run out. plus he might give Evans, Nani, Chico and Fabio a game.

having said that, i do expect Rooney to start.

There are very few youngsters to play.

Januzaj and Keane would be it, imo.

Amos/Lindegaard
    Rafael-Evans--Jones--Evra
    ---Cleverley-Anderson
    Nani----Kagawa---Zaha
    Hernandez

not beyond the realms of possibility.

Can't see Vidic or Rio playing. Fellaini is cup tied so Cleverley and Anderson quite possible (with Carrick rested). Surely Valencia and Young have to be dropped from this game. Kagawa should really starting and Hernandez has to (imo) but could see one benched for Rooney - though could see Rooney instead of Zaha, Kagawa pushed wide.

Would be happy, but CM would be a massive potential problem, obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Last time this fixture was played with an evening kick off (at either ground) was 05/06...am I right? Can't recall any more recent than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

1dA7fDE.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

Would Welbeck not be in the United lineup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

jamaamaj wrote: »
    Yeah right!

Pull the other one, it's got bells on it.

The league cup is as important as the charity shield to me. A good performance is what I want to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

slingerz wrote: »
    Would Welbeck not be in the United lineup?

Judging by how he played the other day,I wouldn't let him into the ground let alone the squad tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

I wouldn't play Suarez in this game, if I was BR. Liverpool play Sunderland at the weekend, which will be a far easier fixture for his return. Suarez is quite likely to get wound up tonight and end up doing something daft. I think Liverpool can win the game without him.

I'll go for 1-2 to Liverpool in normal time. United are just not playing well at the moment, at all. They have a nice run of games coming up after this. I expect that they will find their feet under Moyes during that period and push on with a serious title challenge after Christmas.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Lads, as a United fan, I just want to say something. I know there will be die-hards on either side that will disagree strongly with me but that's life.

We are all fans of football. We can all spot supreme talent, regardless of the side he plays on. We can see when a player brings something unique to the game, and I hope we can all agree that tonight marks the return of such a man. A player who hasn't donned the red shirt for an age, and I for one have missed watching his skill, determination and finishing every week. I already have a tenner on him to score first at really good odds. Welcome back Nicklas Bendtner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Agueroooo wrote: »
    and I thought I was bad at Photoshop....pheeew

Whats the deal with the aguerooo thing, city fan/like him/abu?

Rasta is heading over to the game and doesn't care about the result.

Best post yet!

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Rasta is heading over to the game and doesn't care about the result.

Best post yet!

you don know rasta only supports united because of dion dublin. Loop the loop looked like a Jamaica flag in his throwback jersey

Whats the deal with the aguerooo thing, city fan/like him/abu?

Liverpool fan who likes Aguero I believe. It was asked before in (one of) the LFC thread, but I can't be bothered to search.

I can't imagine having my username based on a player from a different club, but each to their own, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Giggs will probably start,

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    Liverpool fan who likes Aguero I believe. It was asked before in (one of) the LFC thread, but I can't be bothered to search.

I can't imagine having my username based on a player from a different club, but each to their own, etc.

Ya, thought it was odd. Eyore a tribute to heskey?? :pac:

(seriously though, like heskey, love him in fifa 12)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Moyes just can't lose this, losing twice to pool, beaten by City and a draw with Chelsea will surely start some alarm bells ringing.

You'd expect that from Everton not the PL champions.

If we play the way we have for most of this season we'll lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

Moyes just can't lose this, losing twice to pool, beaten by City and a draw with Chelsea will surely start some alarm bells ringing.

You'd expect that from Everton not the PL champions.

If we play the way we have for most of this season we'll lose.

And if we play the way we have for most of the season we'll lose.

So someones definitely losing.

Ya, thought it was odd. Eyore a tribute to heskey?? :pac:

(seriously though, like heskey, love him in fifa 12)

Eeyore is more of a reference to my particularly cheery outlook on life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i'd make a prediction, as pointless as that is, but I need to see the teams first.

if Giggs starts, Liverpool might have a chance.

otherwise, Utd should really win this, though Suarez is the wildcard. he could do anything.

Come to the dark side, we have titles and cake.

SlickRic wrote: »
    i'd make a prediction, as pointless as that is, but I need to see the teams first.

if Giggs starts, Liverpool might have a chance.

otherwise, Utd should really win this, though Suarez is the wildcard. he could do anything.
    wildcard.gif?w=830

Come to the dark side, we have titles and cake.

I do like cake, but I hate utd. Hmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Dcully wrote: »
    Hattrick of dives maybe :P

We might get 3 pens so

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I do like cake, but I hate utd. Hmm.

The cake will soon be gone and utd will still be there..

• Advertisement

dfx- wrote: »

Always.

dfx- wrote: »

I'd at least like to find out what type of cake it is. It's probably like the 'stress test' thing that scientologists use to get their hook into you. You can do the test but still escape, so I might try to have the cake (and eat it too), then not actually go through with it.

It all depends on the type of cake though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

Anderson to start alongside Giggs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Anderson to start alongside, and eventually eat, a cake.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

always thought it was an ode to me

The fate of this game will be sealed in an hour when the teams are released

#prayforkagawa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Damn I love these ales. 2.29 a pint!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Hi lads, what channel is this on? Didn't see it mentioned! Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Who mentioned "Cake"?.

Mrs Crinklewood will be all over this thread now.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

#LFC squad traveling to Manchester : Mignolet, Wisdom, Kelly, Toure, Skrtel, Enrique, Gerrard, Lucas, Henderson, Moses, Suarez,Sturridge, Jones, Sakho, Allen, Alberto, Sterling, Aspas, Ibe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

.E_C_K_S. wrote: »
    Hi lads, what channel is this on? Didn't see it mentioned! Thanks

Skysports 2

www.liveonsat.com

Could probably make Liverpool's best 11 out of that

Waiting game for the United one now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Could probably make Liverpool's best 11 out of that

Waiting game for the United one now

Glen Johnson?

Milkers wrote: »
    Glen Johnson?

Do you understand the word probably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Do you understand the word probably

Agger? Coutinho?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

could be, straight off twitter

Liverpool XI Vs ManUtd: Mignolet, Toure, Skrtel, Sakho, Enrique, Lucas, Henderson, Gerrard, Moses, Suarez, Sturridge

Liverpool subs: Jones, Alberto, Aspas, Sterling, Ibe, Kelly, Wisdom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

mike65 wrote: »
    could be, straight off twitter

Liverpool XI Vs ManUtd: Mignolet, Toure, Skrtel, Sakho, Enrique, Lucas, Henderson, Gerrard, Moses, Suarez, Sturridge

That's the starting side alrite great to see Suarez thrown straight in there. Strong team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

: De Gea, Rafael, Evans, Smalling, Buttner, Nani, Jones, Giggs, Kagawa, Rooney, Hernandez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

CM just not good enough im afraid

Is that a CM of Giggs and Jones?

Lol

Other than that a front four of Hernandez, Rooney, Nani and Kagawa is one of the best around. Pity Liverpool will probably just dominate in midfield and not allow them to play.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement