Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Ploughing Championships Archaeological Damage

• 24-09-2013 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi All,
    Do ye guys reckon that this event may damage archaeological objects in the soil - to the best of my knowledge it passes over a few monuments however these might be located in the non ploughing areas - I'm not really sure.
    Any pickers out there that head out to the plough-zone afterwards?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Hi All,
    Do ye guys reckon that this event may damage archaeological objects in the soil - to the best of my knowledge it passes over a few monuments however these might be located in the non ploughing areas - I'm not really sure.
    Any pickers out there that head out to the plough-zone afterwards?
    What do you mean by pickers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The top zone is likely to have been disturbed over the last few hundred / thousand years anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Shouldn't do much , especially in dry weather , would have thought match plowing would be shallower than normal ploughing... And I'd guess that farm has been ploughed hundreds of times.. Most of the heavy traffic will be on portable roadways...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Markcheese

What's the legality of picking over someone else's field ( aside from that, if the piece of ploughing you're walking on hasn't been judged yet you'd be lynched.. :)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Witchburner

Markcheese wrote: »
    What's the legality of picking over someone else's field ( aside from that, if the piece of ploughing you're walking on hasn't been judged yet you'd be lynched.. :)

Lol - chased by angry farmers wielding shovels and scorecards! :eek:

Any idea how deep competition ploughing goes as opposed to normal ploughing?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

There are no national monuments that could be affected by ploughing within the designated ploughing area.
    LAO018-065 is a cropmark which has had an electricity pylon erected on it.

Witchburner,
    I have asked you a question and you have failed to respond.
    This is not the first time this has happened.
    Failure to respond will result in an infraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Witchburner

Victor wrote: »
    The top zone is likely to have been disturbed over the last few hundred / thousand years anyway.

I agree.

Some size of an event though - 700 acres - huge applause for the shear logistics of organising that

Any idea as to whether or not the monuments on the site are protected or at least sectioned off? - I realise most are underground (there I am assuming again - my bad) but surely the NMI are insisting on some description of protection? Or - in the very least - some description of information provided to those attending about the local monuments and their associated history.

Im actually surprised those who were on here protestingabout Queen Maeve's tomb aren't being self-righteously indignant all over thistopic.

Closing this thread.
    It's direction and intent is patently obvious.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement