Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cataracts in dog

• 24-09-2013 10:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,032 ✭✭✭✭

My mother thinks lab maybe starting to get cataracts as she can see a blue tint in his eyes.

What would the vet do if I brought him in? Would he need an op

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

cena wrote: »
    My mother thinks lab maybe starting to get cataracts as she can see a blue tint in his eyes.

What would the vet do if I brought him in? Would he need an op

What age is your dog?

My cocker has always had a blue tint in both eyes, he's 8.5 now... every year when we go the vet she checks his eyes and says they are fine.

do you have pet insurance?

Reason i ask is cataracts are expensive to remove etc..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

There are a few causes for cloudiness in the eye, some serious, possibly painful, possibly indicating a deeper health problem, others not serious and just a symptom of ageing.
    But you need to get it diagnosed one way or the other, and indeed it's no harm at all to get ageing pets regularly checked out anyway, so I think a trip to the vet is in order.
    Good luck op, will you let us know how you get on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,032 ✭✭✭✭cena

We never had insurance for him. Think he is 12 on Christmas day.

how much are we talking about?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

cena wrote: »
    We never had insurance for him. Think he is 12 on Christmas day.

how much are we talking about?

Don't panic until you've seen the vet. There's a good chance that this is nothing serious, but you do need to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Two of my dogs have cloudy eyes, but its Corneal Dystrophy, not cataracts, which is no bother to them, and doesn't affect their vision, so definitely worth taking your dog to the vet and getting him checked out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭puppieperson

hi i had my terriers eyes both done it was 2000 euro and it was great she had lenses fitted just like humans . i had no insurance but she was healthy for 14 years and i owed her that much. She got a new lease of life and was very happy till she passed away a couple of years later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I have posted here before on the cost of removal of cataracts. One of my dogs had both her eyes done. We had to do one in each policy year as she maxed out pet insurance! There are a lot of hidden costs involved eg before operation tests are carried out. After operation lots of follow up appointments. Total cost for both eyes was €7000-€8000. First eye was a great success, second operation gave her nerve damage and then suddenly developed glaucoma in both eyes :( so she is completely blind now. There are only a few vets that do the operation. To be fair she has adapted well losing her sight :)

Advertisement