Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking Classes for and with children

Options
  • 24-09-2013 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

My nephew is going through a hard time at the moment and is being bullied in school. In my calmer moments (i.e. those when I don't want to be so mean to the bullies that I'd make them cry until they're 18 years old) I've been thinking of something that I could do with him.
    He is 9 years old and really into cooking. Thinks Jamie Oliver and the Hairy Bikers are the bomb. He is also really good at it.
    I bought him a cook book and chefs hat and apron a while back as a present and he slept in the apron and hat for a week. :D Anyhow I was thinking of taking him on a cookery day during the Halloween mid term, something like how to make homemade pizza or such.
    Have any of you done anything like that with any of your kids/ nieces or nephews? If so do you have anything that you'd recommend.
    He lives in Kildare and I live in Dublin so anywhere in either area would do fine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,968 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Hi penny.

I wouldn't bother with a cookery class really. And sorry, I'm sure they are out there, but I don't know.

I would take the little guy into your house, and go mad cooking together for the day!

I'm sure he would love to spend the day with Auntie all to himself, messing about in the kitchen. Do easy things like fairy cakes, pasta etc. have a go at making pizza dough yourselves, its not that difficult, and even if its a disaster, you will have had a great laugh..

enjoy yourselves, and then when the cooking is done, bring him To the cinema, or get the DVD of Babettes Feast, and curl up on the sofa.

My 8 yr old nephew has mild Autism, and he absolutely adores coming to stay with me, and gets so happy when we make pancakes together. I know your nephew does not have special needs, but they all love our undivided attention!

I hope you both enjoy the day, whatever you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Hi penny.

I wouldn't bother with a cookery class really. And sorry, I'm sure they are out there, but I don't know.

I would take the little guy into your house, and go mad cooking together for the day!

I'm sure he would love to spend the day with Auntie all to himself, messing about in the kitchen. Do easy things like fairy cakes, pasta etc. have a go at making pizza dough yourselves, its not that difficult, and even if its a disaster, you will have had a great laugh..

enjoy yourselves, and then when the cooking is done, bring him To the cinema, or get the DVD of Babettes Feast, and curl up on the sofa.

My 8 yr old nephew has mild Autism, and he absolutely adores coming to stay with me, and gets so happy when we make pancakes together. I know your nephew does not have special needs, but they all love our undivided attention!

I hope you both enjoy the day, whatever you do.

Hi, thanks for the reply. We've done that kind of thing a few times nad had a ball. I wanted to step it up a notch because he's going through a hard time.
    I have himself and his sisters (7 and 11) over to stay often enough and we hang out and do stuff like going to the Jump Zoe, swimming, out for fancy dinners, etc so I was just trying to do something different and that he is into. I'm not great at hurling which is his other passion and he'd be terribly frustrated at having to teach me!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,968 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Hi, thanks for the reply. We've done that kind of thing a few times nad had a ball. I wanted to step it up a notch because he's going through a hard time.
    I have himself and his sisters (7 and 11) over to stay often enough and we hang out and do stuff like going to the Jump Zoe, swimming, out for fancy dinners, etc so I was just trying to do something different and that he is into. I'm not great at hurling which is his other passion and he'd be terribly frustrated at having to teach me!

Just like me so! the Dead Zoo is a fave with the younger one (dinosaurs)along with the pancakes. The 11 yr old nephew is also a fab hurler. Took him to the Skywalk in Croker for his birthday. Absolutely amazing. You've got to have a head for heights though!

I found this in my travels. Maybe you could enquire? Not in the catchment area you mentioned, doable?

http://www.fairyhousecookeryschool.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Just like me so! the Dead Zoo is a fave with the younger one (dinosaurs)along with the pancakes. The 11 yr old nephew is also a fab hurler. Took him to the Skywalk in Croker for his birthday. Absolutely amazing. You've got to have a head for heights though!

I found this in my travels. Maybe you could enquire? Not in the catchment area you mentioned, doable?

http://www.fairyhousecookeryschool.com/

That sounds ideal. Thanks a lot.

Advertisement