Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else disappointed with the Music tracks?

• 24-09-2013 11:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    I just wanted to see if anyone else felt similarly or what not.

I love the talk show radio and adverts etc.
    But when it comes to the actual music tracks, I just feel let down.
    Now I know it's hard for any game to be as good as Vice City in this regard (killing people while listening to 80s pop was surreal) but I know i was more impressed with San Andreas music, not 100% sure how I felt about GTA4 as honestly, I didn't play past the start of the 3rd island (as many of you know, too much time going on dates etc for the game to flow nicely)...
    I guess with the long build up and hype, I just felt there would be a better selection of good music.

Now, I'm not really a hip-hop/rap fan, but it seems they definately have the best selection of artists on this station..... with maybe the Non-Stop Pop one coming a close second.... I'm just dissapointed that the guitar driven music is so poor (punk, rock, metal etc).... All the punk tracks they chose are very samey.

Anyone agree/disagree?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

It's been poor since San Andreas. Think they must have spent a tonne on that and decided it wasnt worth it in future.

As for the dates, you can just ignore them in IV. Only do the one or two mission dates and ignore the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

IV had LCD Soundsystem on it so I was willing to overlook whatever else there was (to be honest I can't even remember the rest). But yeah I am pretty disappointed in the radio in general. There's some good songs but I wouldn't say there's any good stations. And I don't care for the talk shows either, there's not enough programs and they don't seem to change as the story progresses like the other games. It's the only real problem i have with the game though in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I think the pop station is class.

Who doesn't wanna go bombing around the countryside to Rihanna?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

SantryRed wrote: »
    I think the pop station is class.

Who doesn't wanna go bombing around the countryside to Rihanna?

:pac:

I'm half ashamed to say I enjoy the pop station the most as well or the rock one. The rap stuff totally goes over my head. Rarely listen to chat shows, enjoy the news and ads though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

The pop station is worthwhile purely for Stardust, Modjo and Corona. And All Saints obviously :pac: Pity Cara Delevigne is more than a bit annoying

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I don't think many if any games will ever compare to the heavy heights of Vice City or San Andreas.. unless Rockstar goes back to either time period. Most current music stuff will fail to match the periods of those two games as well, so I won't hold it against V in that regards.

I think overall V's soundtrack is very good, a B effort. Radio Mirror has some cracking tunes on it. I'm quite surprised not many other people are fond of it as I'am going by the favourite radio station thread. I mostly like Radio Los Santos, Space, Non Stop Pop FM and Los Santos Rock Radio too. West Coast Classics is alright as well I suppose.

What is disappointing however is that the talk shows stations aren't really that good. Maybe I have to listen to them when not playing the actual game to appreciate it, but the humour was a bit meh. I can say that I really got a kick out of listening to Chatterbox, K-Chat, VCPR and West Coast Talk Radio (GTA San Andreas) were superb.

IV really only one good station for me, that being Electro Choc. The Beat had some good tunes, but that aside.. it was really lacking.

The pop station is worthwhile purely for Stardust, Modjo and Corona. And All Saints obviously :pac: Pity Cara Delevigne is more than a bit annoying

That All Saints song is class. A real guilty pleasure. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Vice City set the bar way, way too high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,097 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If I'm cruising around just enjoying the atmosphere, the first thing I do when I get into a car now is to turn the radio off :( - I really really don't like it.

It's an absolutely fantastic game but the poor radio really lets it down. FFS the 'classic rock' station has Elton John, The Doobie Bothers, Stevie Wonder to name but a few - feck off, that's not rock! :(

Vice City and San Andreas really did set the bar crazy high, but V doesn't even try to try.

o1s1n wrote: »
    If I'm cruising around just enjoying the atmosphere, the first thing I do when I get into a car now is to turn the radio off :( - I really really don't like it.

I dont even bother changing it now unless it is something really bad. At first I went to the talk shows or the rock station but now I dont care. If I do go scrolling, it usually stops at the pop one which shouldnt happen :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

This thread is so so so scandalous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    That All Saints song is class. A real guilty pleasure. :D

Nothing guilty about that at all, it's a cracking tune.

This is my favourite song from the sound track

Brilliant. You can get their album for just 5 dollars on their site too, and it's really really good.

http://poolsidemusic.com/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    I don't think many if any games will ever compare to the heavy heights of Vice City or San Andreas.. unless Rockstar goes back to either time period. Most current music stuff will fail to match the periods of those two games as well, so I won't hold it against V in that regards.

I think overall V's soundtrack is very good, a B effort. Radio Mirror has some cracking tunes on it. I'm quite surprised not many other people are fond of it as I'am going by the favourite radio station thread. I mostly like Radio Los Santos, Space, Non Stop Pop FM and Los Santos Rock Radio too. West Coast Classics is alright as well I suppose.

What is disappointing however is that the talk shows stations aren't really that good. Maybe I have to listen to them when not playing the actual game to appreciate it, but the humour was a bit meh. I can say that I really got a kick out of listening to Chatterbox, K-Chat, VCPR and West Coast Talk Radio (GTA San Andreas) were superb.

IV really only one good station for me, that being Electro Choc. The Beat had some good tunes, but that aside.. it was really lacking.

While the whiners are making a valid point, I ask them to name 10 songs , which cover the period that GTA 5 is based on, that should have been on the radio. (I know Queen - Radio Gaga was not a 00's song)

A lot of the music today is rubbish. It is not fair to slate the sound track, frankly it should not be a main priority for the game. I admit, Vice City was great ("She's on fire........." " Push it to the limit (limit)...."

GTA 5 picked the best out of a bad lot. The rock station does suck bar the Small Face's musical piece (the one used for much of the promo)

The pop station is good. The chat shows are still good, but kind of not as re-memorable as previous games.

Well, hang on.

Name 10 songs , which cover the period that GTA 5 is based on, that should have been on the radio. (I know Queen - Radio Gaga was not a 00's song)

You only need the pop station to be current. Everything else should go from the 50's/60's to today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    You only need the pop station to be current. Everything else should go from the 50's/60's to today.

Ya, true, I figured that since there was Queen and Dr Dre. The game even has the "Convoy Song"!

What songs would you have liked on the game, in light of the LA setting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

o1s1n wrote: »

It's an absolutely fantastic game but the poor radio really lets it down. FFS the 'classic rock' station has Elton John, The Doobie Bothers, Stevie Wonder to name but a few - feck off, that's not rock! :(

Woah, woah, woah...

You make it sound like The Doobie Brothers is a bad thing!

Truth is I never bought a GTA game until the San Andreas tv ad with Welcome To The Jungle.

My favourite stations were always the chat ones and Double Cleff FM. Molto Adaggio!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I have to say I'm also fairly disappointed with the soundtrack, although it has show me some tracks I'd never heard, that I do like, but they're few and far between. I cannot distinguish between the staions at the bottom.

The classic rock is a disappointment and the lack of Metal station is a shame, for me. I wish they'd chose ANY other Queen or Elton John songs. I usually leave on Space for some funk or the Lowdown for some soul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ya, true, I figured that since there was Queen and Dr Dre. The game even has the "Convoy Song"!

What songs would you have liked on the game, in light of the LA setting?

Van Halen & GNR would be a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

In general it's not as good as previous incarnations like VC or SA. I do miss 'Mommas don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys'...etc :pac:

There are some legend tunes in this though, like Baker Street and a bit of Phil Collins.

One brilliant bit for me was when Trevor was
    bringing Mrs Madrazo back to her husband and wailing crying
    and in the background you had Chicago....'If you leave me now, you'll take away the biggest part of me....'

Was that just pure coincidence or did it happen to everyone? I bust myself laughing at it anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

A lot of the music today is rubbish. It is not fair to slate the sound track, frankly it should not be a main priority for the game. I admit, Vice City was great ("She's on fire........." " Push it to the limit (limit)...."

Neither of those songs were in Vice City, they were in GTA3. GTA3 had a station that only had songs from the Scarface soundtrack.

I don't mind the soundtrack on V, but to be honest I haven't really paid a whole lot of attention to it. I usually just flick to the funk station.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

"Arrgh... this music is all wrong"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Cormac... wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    I just wanted to see if anyone else felt similarly or what not.

I love the talk show radio and adverts etc.
    But when it comes to the actual music tracks, I just feel let down.
    Now I know it's hard for any game to be as good as Vice City in this regard (killing people while listening to 80s pop was surreal) but I know i was more impressed with San Andreas music, not 100% sure how I felt about GTA4 as honestly, I didn't play past the start of the 3rd island (as many of you know, too much time going on dates etc for the game to flow nicely)...
    I guess with the long build up and hype, I just felt there would be a better selection of good music.

Now, I'm not really a hip-hop/rap fan, but it seems they definately have the best selection of artists on this station..... with maybe the Non-Stop Pop one coming a close second.... I'm just dissapointed that the guitar driven music is so poor (punk, rock, metal etc).... All the punk tracks they chose are very samey.

Anyone agree/disagree?

I am disappointed with Rebel Radio.It's just a poor version of K Rose and there's not enough songs on it.Los Santos Rock radio has songs on it that aren't even rock songs.I would class some of the songs on it as pop songs.Emotions FM and V Rock from Vice City and K Rose from San Andreas are my favourite GTA radio stations.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,261 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

It's better than iv, which to be fair had a few great tracis here and there. Still nowhere near vice city or San Andreas where Te games almost seemed to fit around the soundtracks. Having Rhianna anywhere near a GTA soundtrack is stomach churning. An improvement on iv but could have been so much better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have the box sets from VC and SA and I still don't rate SA's at all.
    Way too much hiphop and r'nb.
    GTA5 does the same thing.
    I loved the music selection in 4, being able to hiphop from electro to jazz was cool, then to pop on Lazlow to listen to his madness.
    I find 5 lacks the eclectic nature of 4, far too much hiphop and the like, even though I enjoy that sort of music I don't appreciate that half the dial seems to be given up to it.
    But, the chat radio is great, the rock and pop stations are fantastic, and they got Soulwax/2 many DJs to do a station, sometimes I just leave the station on that the car comes with, enjoy the random selection.
    Also, I'm enjoying the increase in news reports detailing your actions, they had it in the previous one but its even better this time.

They need to bring out a patch for an update for the radio stations.I just can't warm to the radio in the game.Of the ones i like Rebel Radio doesn't have enough songs or depth to it and Los Santos Rock Radio has pop songs on it.They would be my two favourite stations and there very flawed.Vinewood Boulevard Radio and Radio Mirror Park are okay though.If Rebel Radio had the depth to it that K Rose from San Andreas had and if Los Santos Rock Radio was like K Dust in San Andreas and just played actual rock songs then there would have been no problems.They should also have made an Emotions FM type station for the game.It's not as if a lack of funding was an issue for the developers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm shocked that I sometimes turn the radio off. Sometimes I just can't find anything on that doesn't annoy me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

At first i did have a problem, mostly because i didnt really know most of the tracks. Now with a few weeks in, im loving some of the stations as much as previous games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

At first i did have a problem, mostly because i didnt really know most of the tracks. Now with a few weeks in, im loving some of the stations as much as previous games.

I love the soundtrack myself, but each to their own imo, I love Flying Lotus, so him getting his own station is pretty cool, and I love the old LA gangsta station and some of the sh1tty pop and country crap is great when your cruising around....

A lot of the giving out I think is just nostalgia from the music period of VC and GTA3, they were great for the era the games were set, but LS in HD is very different from the old LS.....

Fieldog wrote: »
    I love the soundtrack myself, but each to their own imo, I love Flying Lotus, so him getting his own station is pretty cool, and I love the old LA gangsta station and some of the sh1tty pop and country crap is great when your cruising around....

A lot of the giving out I think is just nostalgia from the music period of VC and GTA3, they were great for the era the games were set, but LS in HD is very different from the old LS.....

That bit in bold is nonsence.I don't like rap, pop, reggae, motown or hipster electronic music.All i wanted was a country music station with plenty of songs and a classic rock station that would just play classic rock songs.Was all that just too much to ask?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

I don't particularly like electro, Electro Choc from IV and Soulwax FM from V seem to suit the gameplay at times and get the blood pumping.

The Pulp song 'After You' is my favourite!

Agree that it's not at the same standard as VC and SA, but they were setting the standards extremely high.

Advertisement