Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda to Sandyford. How long?

Options
  • 24-09-2013 12:56pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys. Been offered a job interview in Dublin, but am trying to work out how feesible a daily commute up and down would be.

No car to start off with, so would have to be public transpot. I think I could take a Matthews bus up and then a Luas out but does anyone have experience going from Drogheda to Dublin 18, specifically Sandyford? Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

Driving wouldn't be ideal but maybe wouldn't be too bad, getting there via public transport is probably going to take you 2 hours each way. If you get the Matthews into Dublin that will take an hour, then you have to make your way from Parnell Street to St Stephens Green if you want to get the Luas out to Sandyford.

If driving was an option you could probably get there in an hour via M1 & M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SFully1

Drive if possible, although you will pass the M50 toll..

I commute from Drogheda to Sandyford everyday, I get the enterprise train (35mins) to Connolly station, walk up to St Stephens Green (15mins) and get the Luas to the Stillorgan Stop. If you were to use this commute, you will be in work around 9.50am so it depends how flexible your employer is.

Other options include the standard commuter train to Pearse (more frequent in the morning but takes 1hr 10mins) then a short walk to the Luas at St Stephens Green.

You get used to the commute and good savings can be made through the TaxSaver scheme!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

nc6000 wrote: »
    Driving wouldn't be ideal but maybe wouldn't be too bad

I was working in Dun Laoghaire for the last year and drove everyday. Can be done in less than an Hour. Public Transport wasn't an option for me at the job was nowhere close to a bus/luas or dart stop.

I used to stay one nigh a week to break up the journey...company had/have a cracking rate on hotel rooms (€29) without breakfast.

If I travel by train into Dublin I also try to time it to catch the enterprise, its ounds like a possible solution for you. Also think about Dublin bike scheme to go between stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭leonards

I think driving is the only realistic option... Try and find someone already doing same commute who is willing to car share...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

Mylow wrote: »
    If I travel by train into Dublin I also try to time it to catch the enterprise, its ounds like a possible solution for you. Also think about Dublin bike scheme to go between stations.

Dublin Bike might be hit and miss during peak hours - the rack would be empty when you want one, and sometimes in the evenings it would be full leaving you stuck with the bike until someone takes one out.

But I do agree - train is probably a better option than the driving, but perhaps a folding bike that you can bring with you in the train / luas whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Hey lads,

thanks for the replies. I did the interview but never head back so ended up being moot. :(

Thanks anyway guys.

Advertisement