Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC horizon Magic eye

• 24-09-2013 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I have been searching for a couple days now without any joy, but does anyone know if there is a way of actually controlling the upc horizon box if it was up in the attic something like the magic eye for sky.

I had asked the sky engineer when he called out but he said he did not think IR Transmitters/receivers would work on the Horizon Box.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Why would you want it in the attic to begin with?

But the Horizon remote operates on RF, not IR, so the box doesn't need to be visible and could, I suppose, be placed in the attic. Not sure what the range on the remote is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 derekE222

cheers for the reply,

The range is not that far, i have tried. not sure on the exact range but won't work for me.

I want it up in the attic as this is where i have my HTPC and other stuff connected and as the horizon is the router aswell it would be easier and less expensive if i could have that up there as i don't fancy running Ethernet cables from downstairs to the attic to service these.

Also it is alot tider not having the box downstairs :) , i had an IR receiver on the old box that worked pretty well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

The horizon remote is currenty a RF remote but it can switch on/off, channel up down numbers etc via IR if you have an IR extender type device as the older remote was IR. You cant do this with teh current remote so you would need a harmony or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭wush06

Try the horizon app.

yea if you have an ipod touch,iphone or ipad that's a good solution

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 derekE222

i am afraid all i have are samsung phone and tablets :( due an upgrade in jan tho so that may be an option

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Simian!

Anyone got any idea what to use to extend the range of the Horizon remote control? As far as I can gather the remote is a mixture of IR and RF. I have a wireless HD transmitter so I'm looking to control the box from another room.

the RF remote goes a good few meters, the IR only controls the TV on/off and volume. Ideally having an apple device and the Horizon remote app would be your best bet

Don't have an apple phone/ipad and likely never will. UPC website has the android app scheduled to arrive in early 2014.

Any other suggestions for extending the range?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

I tried changing the settings back to scart and used a modulator but this wouldnt work....i reckon only way would be to run a hmdi cable or perhaps a cat5 and balun hd convertor to another room with a return sensor....an expensive option but if the only way...

• Advertisement

I have a Nyrius navs500 wireless HD transmitter. This displays the digital image perfectly but I have to be close to the box to change the channels. The Nyrius has an in-built IR extender but that won't work with this Horizon (rf) remote.

The first testers of Horizon had an IR remote and people are using universal remoted like the harmony over IR, I cant see why you cant do that.

Not really looking to invest too heavily in anything else at the moment. Do you know what type of technology the new remote uses? Is it just described as an rf remote?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭banchang

The first testers of Horizon had an IR remote and people are using universal remoted like the harmony over IR, I cant see why you cant do that.

Trying to set up a Belkin @TVPlus, which enables you to look at your TV from a remote location, change channels etc

To do this, it needs a supplied 'IR Blaster' to be placed in front of the spot on the Horizon set top box which receives signals from the Horizon remote.

Anyone know precisely where this spot is ?

Tx

If you hold up the box and swivel it a bit you can see the IR reciever. Its about 3-4 inches from the left hand side on the top of the curve.

314278.jpg

Advertisement