Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a landlord allowed retain copies of keys?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    You forgot about the fact that a leased house becomes a home to the tenant.

I haven't forgotten about that. You are making the distinction between a property and a home.

There is nothing in legislation to say that a landlord can not keep possession of keys to their property.

You seem to be missing this fact.

Also, as pointed out here tenants can not make alterations to the property without the consent of the landlord.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Here is the 2004 act http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2004/en/act/pub/0027/

At no point does it mention that the LL cannot hold a key to the property. Therefore if not explicitly prohibited it is allowed.
    Frankly it would be ludicrous not to have a key of your own property. Under the law the LL is still ultimately responsible for the property and what goes on there. I think it would be grossly negligent were a LL not to have a key.

Any law prohibiting holding a key would be completely unenforceable and would only come to light were the LL to access the property which is covered in detail in the act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

But of course it would! And there is ludicrous legislation I know of. So unless someone comes back with a definitive confirmation I don't see how are any of us in wrong discussing it.
    Where in the legislation does it say that the landlord cannot retain a key for his property? Or that the tenant must have the
    only keys for the property?

If a landlord requires to enter his property in an emergency, how is he expected to do so without a key? Break a window or break down a door?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

RangeR wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, can you prove your version of the law?

no such thing as my version of the law,I made an observation based on what I've been told when I was in similar situation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

According to the links I posted earlier, you have a right to entry when there's an emergency, it doesn't explicitly say you're entitled to keep a key.

are you being obtuse for the sake of it. If you actually took a second to think how would they get in in the event of an emergency without a key ?

Are you really suggesting that they would have to break in to their own property to abide by the law ? Maybe you need to take a step back and think about what your posting before posting it.

• Advertisement

I took my time and backed up some of the fact with links for you to review. I don't understand why should I now take your word for granted and look up somewhere to confirm anything.
    So unless you can back it up somehow I don't think of this as a "fact", at this time is pure speculation.

I'm not asking you to take my word for it. You can see posts from many persons on here whereby Threshold have got things wrong. Just because Threshold say something doesn't make it correct and there are umpteen cases where they have said something that is complete and utter nonsense.

Relying on somebody else that you think should know what they are talking about is not the best way to go about things. Researching and knowing yourself is much more prudent.

case in point only 3 weeks ago the Gardaí tweeted regarding the legalities of cycle lanes. Guess what the tweet was wrong the Gardaí who tweeted it didn't even know the law in question he/she thought they did. Que an embarrassing climbdown tweet a few hours later appologising for the misinformation.

Now many would just take what the Gardaí say as gospel I mean god forbid they wouldn't know what they are talking about, but they didn't. Same applies to Threshold and anybody else. Nobody is infallible and everybody makes mistakes including them. However in Thresholds case they make more mistakes than most.

You can accept that or not. It is true however, and calling threshold on something and taking it for Gospel is a very very unwise thing to do given their past record on giving out information.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I made an observation based on what I've been told when I was in similar situation

Who told you this?
    On what basis were you given this information?
    Its factually inaccurate.
    Please substantiate your hypothesis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭camphor

D3PO wrote: »
    you wont find legislative wording to that effect.

what you will see if that the tenant is not entitled to modify the property without permission. Now given that the LL will have a spare key to his property and the locks cannot be changed without permission defacto the LL is entitled to a key to his property
    RESIDENTIAL TENANCIES ACT 2004
    Provisions regarding tenant's obligations
    l) not alter or improve the dwelling without the written consent of the landlord which consent the landlord

“alter or improve”, in relation to a dwelling, includes—

(a) alter a locking system on a door giving entry to the dwelling, and

(b) make an addition to, or alteration of, a building or structure (including any building or structure subsidiary or ancillary to the dwelling),

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Camphor - You are misquoting D3PO here. The question was asked is if a Landlord is allowed hold a key for his property hence D3PO's response.
    The part of the legislation you quoted relates to a separate issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

As an alternative to firing rocks at threshold.ie for unsubstantiated non-specific inaccuracies, some of you might find Irish Landlord an informative alternative.

• Advertisement

camphor wrote: »
    RESIDENTIAL TENANCIES ACT 2004
    Provisions regarding tenant's obligations
    l) not alter or improve the dwelling without the written consent of the landlord which consent the landlord

“alter or improve”, in relation to a dwelling, includes—

(a) alter a locking system on a door giving entry to the dwelling, and

(b) make an addition to, or alteration of, a building or structure (including any building or structure subsidiary or ancillary to the dwelling),

what exactly is your point ? I just said that without quoting the act ......

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Advertisement