Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor Wifi on single device ????

Options
  • 24-09-2013 1:23pm
    Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

I have a wireless issue that's doing my head in.
    Every device at home connects to our router at full whack except for one, the laptop.
    The max it normally sees is .6Mb while every other device hits 14-15Mb easy.
    I've disabled the onboard network adapter & tried a USB wireless adapter but still no luck.
    Weirdly, I can get an occasional spike at full whack but it's soon gone.

I've updated drivers & changed power settings with no joy.
    Thought it might be interference so I changed channel but that just made things worse.
    I've recently started using an old Eircom Netopia router which only transmits in b & g whereas the dongle is b/g/n, could that be the issue ?.

Anyway, any inspiration would be helpful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Is the laptop normally used in a specific location or does it happen regardless of where the laptop is? Do other devices show a higher speed when in the same location as the laptop?

Interference is not just caused by other wireless routers. Could there be another source of RF interference in the vicinity of the laptop?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What are the specs and make of the laptop and how does it perform in other locations? Are there by any chance any strange settings on the laptop - might you have used it in other locations and its still holding the settings for those such as a proxy?

How does it perform if you use it on ethernet?

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

If I sit the laptop beside the router I seem to get a good stable signal @ 5Mb.
    If I move into the kitchen, 20 feet away, speeds drop to about .6 Mb.
    But weirdly, every so often it will spike back to 5Mb momentarily.
    I have a PC in the upstairs bedroom with an old USB dongle network adapter which hits 5Mb everytime.
    I've tried this dongle on the laptop but the same result.
    We've 2 android phones which can hit 3.5-4Mb anywhere in the house.

I've checked the Advanced Wireless Settings of the Broadcom Network Adapter & power is set to 100%, I've also turned off all power saving options.

My geek head has been working on this problem, I've the old Eircom Netopia Router, is there a max number of connected devices allowed & is my laptop the device that exceeds this limit.
    Just guessing at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Take a look at the wireless card inside the PC and see if both (normally 2 often one black and on white) antenna wires are attached correctly. Check also that the correct wires have been connected because some latpops have more than 2 antenna wires as there are spare wires for other devices your laptop might not have installed.

The issue might just be whats in the kitchen wall? For example foil backed insulation can block/reflect signals.

Advertisement