Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming Men - Inner City Dublin

Options
  • 24-09-2013 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭

Thought this was a very evocative little film about inner city Dublin featuring Terry Fagan (North Inner City Folklore Project) and smashing music by Bantum.

Dunno how to embed Vimeo videos, apologies.

http://vimeo.com/75025182

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Jesus the height the lads jumped from at 01:28 :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Faith+1 wrote: »

Must be deep.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

I just posted that in the Grand Canal thread where these kids were vilified all summer. Good to see the other side of the coin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Faith+1 wrote: »

In Bill Cullen's book lads used to jump from the loopline bridge near tara st station...one guy actually dived off the top of it and became a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I recognized some of these faces from the summer.

Most are alright, a few of them are right little ***** though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Brilliant, some balls at 1.28..

Done the same in the royal canal years ago as a kid. Never done me any harm.

Nice piece of filming too.

not yet wrote: »
    Brilliant, some balls at 1.28..

Maybe a bit of a misty eyed point but you'd think that if the lads had a better chance in life, that bravery and athleticism could be out to real use.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

anncoates wrote: »
    Maybe a bit of a misty eyed point but you'd think that if the lads had a better chance in life, that bravery and athleticism could be out to real use.
    When you're young, you are invincible.

One thing you notice fairly quickly is how many of them are wearing some sort of wetsuit, and how their skill level in how they jump and enter the water differs from those without wetsuits.

Also, how nothing is sacred; if they find a canoe, they'll launch it, and row around in it... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I think somebody posted in another thread that some organisation thought just that and had arranged training for them in emergency rescues.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

What's wrong with their lives ?

• Advertisement

CommanderC wrote: »
    What's wrong with their lives ?

Did I say there was?

I grew up in a similar working class Dublin community in the 80s and you've far more against you. Are you saying the lads in that video are all middle-class?

Quit trying to score cheap points.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

The movies is very well made and does a very good job of painting a dreamy heroic tale, but my office overlooks that area and we watched these little knackers all summer - and let me tell you the reality is far from what you see in that movie. We would often watch them for ages as they ran around and jumped into the polluted Liffey like rats into a sewer - while the droves of 13 year old girls dressed like cheap hookers looked on. They screamed and shouted at the top of their lungs all day long, pretty distracting when you are trying to work. One of them had a dog who would bark literally every second - all day long. Used to drive us nuts. We saw countless fights, young teenagers getting ****faced, and generally making a nuisance of themselves - openly mocking the police when they came to move them on.. We even saw them robbing stuff from vans in traffic, including a HB Ice cream truck which resulted in a frenzy between them all to eat it. We have quite a lot of visitors to the office, many from overseas - they would sit and watch with their jaws open in disbelief.

I know I probably sound like an old fart, but to me and all the people in the building surrounding that area, that movies just makes us laugh at how you can paint one story in such a different light to reality.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Knowing some of the guys from the film, the above post sounds fairly on the ball to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm going to have to pick you up on something Zascar... the Liffey isn't polluted! It's very clean. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kitty3kids

Zascar wrote: »
    The movies is very well made and does a very good job of painting a dreamy heroic tale, but my office overlooks that area and we watched these little knackers all summer - and let me tell you the reality is far from what you see in that movie. We would often watch them for ages as they ran around and jumped into the polluted Liffey like rats into a sewer - while the droves of 13 year old girls dressed like cheap hookers looked on. They screamed and shouted at the top of their lungs all day long, pretty distracting when you are trying to work. One of them had a dog who would bark literally every second - all day long. Used to drive us nuts. We saw countless fights, young teenagers getting ****faced, and generally making a nuisance of themselves - openly mocking the police when they came to move them on.. We even saw them robbing stuff from vans in traffic, including a HB Ice cream truck which resulted in a frenzy between them all to eat it. We have quite a lot of visitors to the office, many from overseas - they would sit and watch with their jaws open in disbelief.

I know I probably sound like an old fart, but to me and all the people in the building surrounding that area, that movies just makes us laugh at how you can paint one story in such a different light to reality.

+1
    I live in the area and these kids ruined our summer! I live in an apartment so don't have a garden so I normally bring my kids to the square to play but couldn't this summer as they literally took it over!

It's a lovely area on a sunny day but who wants to sit and listen to bad language and dogs barking all the time?

Advertisement