Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Tough' phone?

• 24-09-2013 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Is there any phone out there that can stand a bit of abuse?

I'm not talking about a 'rugged' version wrapped in rubber but something that can take a few knocks (dropped by accident from a foot or 2) without smashing a screen or breaking an internal component.

From memory, I have seen issues with the HTC One X losing SIM connections after a drop, Nexus 4 with fragile backs, Galaxy S4 screen cracked, Experia Z screen cracked.

The HTC One is aluminium unibody so I'm thinking it may be pretty durable. Am I right? I remember the old HTC Legend was a beast with it's unibody too.

Are there any high-end phones with a similar design from the Chinese manufacturers?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Nokia 920, toughest phone ive ever used,its not android though but great device and bomb proof toughness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I like that too but is it available here? $200 can't be right surley not sim free anyway.

Truckermal wrote: »
    I like that too but is it available here?

Yes. It's £400 from Amazon (No stock), Carphone Warehouse and Clove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Yes. It's £400 from Amazon (No stock), Carphone Warehouse and Clove.

Cheers, its not really dearer than the stock version so I think I will go for one. I am due an upgrade but I can go on the same plan for 20 euro a month less with no upgrade. Three wanted 169 quid plus VAT for a normal S4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭flazio

My Xperia S has had a few falls from a desk to a wood floor with nothing to show for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I've dropped the iPhone 4S caseless dozens of times and its fine. Though I never dropped it on anything hard, like tile or pavement, its always been carpet/commercial carpet (which is quite thin). I tend to take extra care porting my devices across hard surfaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

Any phone with an otterbox cover.
    I've a s4 that has a defender coverand I've dropped it countless times with no damage. ... well so far anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

The wife has one of the super rugged otterbox cases for her one x, you could fire a cruise missile at it and it'd wink back at you. Looks ridiculous though.

The one is in the same category as the one x with regard to dropping, it's rigid so eventually it'll hit at the wrong angle and the screen will go. And good luck getting that fixed. The x's were bad, I can only imagine how difficult a one must me to work on.

First phone I've insured in nearly 25 years of mobile ownership.

Advertisement