Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identify plant?

• 24-09-2013 2:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭

So i planted a bunch of different things but not sure which took hold, can anyone identify this plant the pointed leaf one in centre of photo, any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭corsica

Are you sure its not a weed? Hard to be sure from pic but looks like some of the weeds that thrive in my garden!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Seconding corsica, that looks very like willow herb :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭wreade1872

Eh? i was sure until 5 seconds ago that it wasn't a weed? hmmm... having looked up willowherb that does seem right but i can't imagine how it could have gotten here unless it was mixed up with other seeds i bought.

Someone else in my house wants it exterminated now that they think its a weed, frankly given the pictures i've seen of it in bloom, i'm thinking of trying to get it to grow all over the garden :D .

Thanks for the info, may have to wait to see if it blooms to tell for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Give it an inch and it soon will be all over your garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No...you really don't want it all over your garden! The only good thing is that the young plants are pretty easy to pull out. As to how it got there - the same way that all the other weeds get there - easier in fact for willowherb as it produces masses of fluffy seed carriers that spread far and wide with just a puff of wind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭wreade1872

Yeah i got overruled on keeping it, we took it up. I still find it highly suspicious that a plant i've never seen before suddenly pops up when we plant a bunch of seeds, i think it must have been mixed in with others we bought.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Willowherb turns up everywhere. It's probably floated in from somewhere nearby. Loves to grow in the cracks in the footpaths. Headwrecking weed.

Advertisement